low sodium...?

Options
lolagranola1
lolagranola1 Posts: 63 Member
Any good low sodium recipes floating around? I am cutting my sodium back, but realized i still have a high intake. I need ideas!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    less processed food and more whole foods. This means when you cook, cook with whole foods...no canned stuff, etc. Most anything prepared from scratch, whole ingredients is going to be relatively low sodium.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Just cut out the salt. you will get used to the taste eventually. Their is also black pepper, garlic and onion pepper. You will start actually tasting the food, and not the salt.
  • Daveysgirl2014
    Daveysgirl2014 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same thing. So if I get a pound of turkey from the deli rather than the shelf will it contain less sodium?
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yup, less processed foods, less restaurant meals. You can add salt to whole foods without putting too much sodium back on your daily intake. Those processed foods though, they go overboard for preservation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »
    Just cut out the salt. you will get used to the taste eventually. Their is also black pepper, garlic and onion pepper. You will start actually tasting the food, and not the salt.

Most over-consumption of sodium is due to processed foods, not salting your own food.
    I'm dealing with the same thing. So if I get a pound of turkey from the deli rather than the shelf will it contain less sodium?

Probably not, unless they just roasted or smoked the turkey...

Also keep in mind that sodium is a required mineral...you don't have to completely eliminate it. If you workout and sweat a lot and don't get enough sodium you're going to cramp up like no other. It's good to watch, but people go a bit over bored with this sometimes and for no good reason.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Most over-consumption of sodium is due to processed foods, not salting your own food.

Also keep in mind that sodium is a required mineral...you don't have to completely eliminate it. If you workout and sweat a lot and don't get enough sodium you're going to cramp up like no other. It's good to watch, but people go a bit over bored with this sometimes and for no good reason.

^This.

Recommended intake is 2000mg/day. Maximum recommended intake is 3500mg/day. Any less than 1500mg/day and you could start having problems.

Also, Iodine is a difficult nutrient to get from food alone. You can get it from Iodized salt.
  • lolagranola1
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Fresh and frozen veggies are better than canned. But I do buy no salt added can tomato products, salt free broths and stocks, low sodium beans too. I like Mrs. Dash extra spicy as a substitute for cajun seasoning. Love most of the Mrs. Dash blends except original and table blend for some reason. Lemon and lime juice and also vinegar add brightness to dishes like salt but with out sodium. I really like salt free lemon pepper.

Some great blogs:
    Please Don't Pass the Salt
    Low Sodium Cooking
    Sodium Girl

This is a great chicken recipe, but the marinade has a lot of fat. It is worth it though. Delicious and no salt required. lowsodiumblog.com/2012/07/sues-greek-roast-lemon-chicken-kota-lemonato/

Here are the low sodium recipes I have tried. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/p/low-sodium-recipes.html
  • lolagranola1
    Options
    I do get the lower sodium turkey breast, i don't use much salt. I do need to get better recipes to make yummy lower sodium meals. The processed stuff is definitely a downfall for me. And fast food. I can choose better options at restaurants, but unfortunately, they are 2 days worth of sodium intake in just 1 meal.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Any lunchmeat you get is going to have a huge amount of sodium regardless of low sodium compared to say a fresh grilled or sauteed chicken breast.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

There are lower sodium version of turkey deli meat. Ham too.
  • rdlhuskers
    rdlhuskers Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash products are very good. If you have a Hy-Vee close to you I recommend talking to the dietitian. The store I go to is so helpful in pointing out new low sodium products.