Best workout equipment

Options
NerdyNix
NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm going to Decathalon (sport and fitness shop) on Friday to splurge on some equipment. Any good recommendations?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty vague question. What kind of equipment are we talking and for what purpose? And what's your budget?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    That's a pretty vague question. What kind of equipment are we talking and for what purpose? And what's your budget?

• NerdyNix
    Options
    Yeah sorry about that!! For losing weight, £300ish budget. Have never bought anything like this before so am unsure on what will be best.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    NerdyNix wrote: »
    Yeah sorry about that!! For losing weight, £300ish budget. Have never bought anything like this before so am unsure on what will be best.

Focus 95% of your effort on your diet for weight loss and save that 300 bucks for the new wardrobe.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    NerdyNix wrote: »

Your consumption is going to overwhelmingly what determines whether you lose weight or not. Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. As an example...I like to ride my bike all over the place, lift weight, do some hiking, a bit of swimming, walking the dog, etc...in otherwords, I really like to exercise. I have lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight all while doing those things. The difference between those three weight control objectives was my energy (calorie) consumption, not what exercise I was doing or not doing.

In RE to calorie burn from exercise...this has far more to do with your level of effort than what exercise you are doing or what machine you are using. Try to find some exercise that you enjoy doing and go with that. Personally, I loath cardio machines and whatnot...I'd much rather be outside on my bike.
  • lizzynose
    lizzynose Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would recommend buying a beginners weight set with 2 dumbells that you can adjust the masses on. These will be really useful for lots of different exercises. Buy some decent trainers and work out clothes you would actually want to wear to help boost your confidence. If you are female a decent sports bra is v. Important.

I wouldn't buy much more than that to be honest, I think people get too caught up in buying stuff as a bit of a diversion tactic to delay the exercise! If you are just starting to exercise you need to work out a plan and stick to it, sometimes when starting out people like to follow a structured work out plan like couch 2 5 k or a workout DVD like 30 day shred or focus t25 or start attending classes or get a personal trainer ( I had one last year and it was expensive but worth it as he sorted out my nutrition as well as my exercise and I didn't feel like I was on my own!) Sometimes following a set plan or routine make you more likely to stick to it!!

Good luck!!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    a jump rope.
  • NerdyNix
    Options

I already have a jump rope but can't do it until I get a decent sports bra! I tried last week.... Ouch!