When is a good time for a beginner to sign up for a 5K run?

I have been jogging for about 4.5 months now. I started out unable to run more than a minute or two at a time. I've lost about 20 lbs since then (still about 30 overweight) and I'm now able to jog 2-4 miles at 4.5-5 mph. I sometimes run up to 5 miles, but sometimes have to walk a little, especially on hills. Am I ready to sign up for a 5K run, or is it still too soon? I'm still coming in over 40 minutes for a treadmill 5k, and about 42-43 minutes for outdoors.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    There's no "wrong" time, if that's what you want to do. Even if you had to walk all of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    anytime..
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Do it
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    If you want to do it, then do it.

Most 5k's are run/walk anyway. Unless it's specified running only, go for it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    It sounds like you are at a great point for it. I would suggest searching online for nearby races. You can usually look at prior year results to see what kind of times people ran, if you are interested. Most 5k races get runners all up and down the spectrum, speed- and fitness-wise, but some definitely tend to be more competitive than others. I ran my first 5k in 39 minutes and ended up about 2/3 back in the pack. My next 5k I finished at about 34:30 and was 3rd from the very end.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I have been jogging for about 4.5 months now. I started out unable to run more than a minute or two at a time. I've lost about 20 lbs since then (still about 30 overweight) and I'm now able to jog 2-4 miles at 4.5-5 mph. I sometimes run up to 5 miles, but sometimes have to walk a little, especially on hills. Am I ready to sign up for a 5K run, or is it still too soon? I'm still coming in over 40 minutes for a treadmill 5k, and about 42-43 minutes for outdoors.

I signed up for a 10k without being able to run more than 2 miles in one go... Just do it!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I have this vision of being able to run a half-marathon at Disney in a year or so, and this is my first step on the path to get there!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    I have my first 5k on June 14th and it will be run/walk. I can do intervals for a distance up to 4 miles so far but like you I am not very fast. I am looking to finish between 39-45 minutes, a far cry from the sub 30 I want LOL but the important thing is I am doing it. You are ready now.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    You do great! Find a race. My sister, mom and I just did a tutu run last week. Pretty much everyone running had a tutu on. There are color runs, glow runs...I've been to a wine run and a beer run. Get ready to have fun!!!
  • smedleyj2
    smedleyj2 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I have this vision of being able to run a half-marathon at Disney in a year or so, and this is my first step on the path to get there!

Very good goal to have! You will get there and you seem very motivated, I know you'll do well in the 5k and confident you will achieve this goal too!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Yeah go ahead and do it. I just did one a week ago that I ended up walking for most of because it was so dang hot and humid, and I'm fairly heat-intolerant. But it was still fun! There are always runners/walkers of every ability. Go ahead and do it! :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I agree with the others who say go for it! You are already able to do that distance. You may well surprise yourself on race day!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Agree with others, just sign up. We are moving to a new area (all the way across country) and to make sure I stay on track with my running I went ahead and signed up for a marathon in Nov. That way I keep myself focused.

Good luck. Oh and Disney races are fun but you have to sign up right when the open as they sale out very quickly. The Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon I am doing in Nov sold out in 36 minutes of opening registration.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I ran my first 5k years ago thinking I wouldn't be able to finish, but you'll be amazed at how much positive influence you'll get from everyone running around you. Peer pressure isn't always a bad thing.

If you get sore, just walk and start running again when you feel like it. You're already ready for this!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Sounds like your ready for it. And taking a year to train for your first half marathon is a good a idea. Do a few 5k's and 10k's before you attempt the half. They will help you learn how to train and increase your abilities.