best foods to eat while building muscle

Options
bdcd1987
bdcd1987 Posts: 11 Member
Best foods to eat to gain weight but stay fit at the same time! GO...

Replies

• sshultz
    sshultz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, lean beef, fish, brown rice, yams, tons of fresh veggies, oatmeal
  • bdcd1987
    Options
    Thanks is that what you eat
  • sshultz
    Options
    Yes, that is the majority of my foods in that list. I did forget eggs and egg whites, though. I have had a few protein bars lately but trying to cut those out. I also have a shake post-workout of whey powder and skim milk. That's about the extent of my dairy consumption unless I have a cheat meal with cheese.
  • sshultz
    Options
    That doesn't mean I won't have the occasional piece of bacon or 2 but I don't let that get out of hand.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Nut butters, avocados, brown rice, chicken, fish, turkey, sweet potatoes, nuts, yogurt (with fruit), cheese, olive oil, coconut oil, lots and lots of veggies (low glycemic), eggs (whole and egg whites), full fat cottage cheese, full fat butter, bacon, olive and vigegrette dressing, with salads..

This is all I can think of right off the top of my head... you stated healthy and gain weight... To gain weight for me it would be a lot of other things added to this to meet calorie requirement that may not be to you "classified healthy" foods.. I do cook a lot, make low carb desserts, and much much much more..

But basically the above is what I eat during the week (and not to gain weight... just eat like this every day)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    All of them.

In all seriousness, many people struggle to eat enough calories of what you'd likely describe as "clean or healthy" in a bulk. Eat the majority of those foods, but don't be afraid of other options if you've met your micronutrient targets already and simply can't face shovelling in any more sweet potato, rice, broccoli and chicken....
  • bdcd1987
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips
  • bdcd1987
    Options
    Anything to replace veggies because I don't like many
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a good sub for veg. Good fats w/fiber. Almond butter is awesome, btw. If you haven't tried it, do. That stuff is wonderful.

• SilviaFlores560
    SilviaFlores560 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sshultz wrote: »
    Chicken breast, lean beef, fish, brown rice, yams, tons of fresh veggies, oatmeal

• sshultz
    Options
    Nuts are great additions to a muscle building diet. Almonds, walnuts, pecans all contain healthy fats and fiber. But they aren't a good sub for veggies. Veggies have other vitamins and nutrients and no/low fat. It's nearly impossible to over eat vegetables but the fat content alone means you need to watch the amount of nuts you consume.

Pick the veggies you like, and eat plenty. Try some you haven't thought of before. Add fruit but be careful of the amount of sugar.

Gia, I can't believe I forgot avocados! I love 'em!
  • bdcd1987
    Options
    Thanks you've all been a great help
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bulking? That's an easy one, eat all of the food.