Addicted to sparkling water

Options
JulesVinTX
JulesVinTX Posts: 13 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi, I've discovered zero-calorie, -carb, -sugar, -fat, -sodium carbonated water with light citrus flavor (think Perrier with lemon flavoring). Now if I don't have one at lunch, I crave it all day. Are they bad? I've done some Google research, and some sources say these waters cause bloat and fluid retention while others say there is no difference between them and regular water. Any info greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I drink sparkling water all the time. Never done me or my weight loss any harm.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I switched to carbonated water with fruit flavor when I stopped drinking sodas. I like the carbonated fizzies :) .
  • JulesVinTX
    JulesVinTX Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Though I've never been a big soda drinker, I've found that I feel like I'm having a real treat whenever I drink one of these carbonated waters, as if I'm drinking a soda. Well, if I don't hear anything else negative about them, I'll just keep enjoying them!
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it.
    Many EU countries enjoy carbonated mineral water as their "normal drinking water"
    That's what I do and it has completely satiated my thirst for sodas.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the La Croix coconut flavor? Amazing.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have a soda stream - love my bubbly water!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have a soda stream - love my bubbly water!

Me too. My water consumption has doubled since I got one.

• paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it! I feel like the bubbles actually kind of curb hunger more so than water. Plus my water intake has upped since I started drinking it.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

omg I love the coconut flavored one. I even bought some coconut rum to mix with it.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Make sure what you get has low to no sodium, that will prevent water retention. Otherwise follow your bodies signals, if you become bloated, and cutting down or cutting out the carbonated drinks help, do so. If not enjoy!
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    When I stopped drinking soft drink last year, I started drinking a lot more sparkling water, and I find that it really helps me feel less thirsty, and it quenches any Coke cravings I might have. Plus it's fairly cheap.

I will say, my doctor told me not to drink a ton because I have bad indigestion and it can make it worse, plus dentists always say any carbonation can be rough on your teeth, but really, it can't be that bad. So I wouldn't worry about it!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Some have been concerned that carbonated drinks may leach calcium out of your bones -- though the evidence for this is not very good.
  • TheNaturalNanny
    TheNaturalNanny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with them that I know of HOWEVER when you crave things, your body often needs something. I found I craved carbonation when I was low on calcium. I did some research and found this is common. Take a look at your nutrition break down and see if you have a lower intake in any nutirents.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Firstly, you're not addicted, you just really really like them.
    Secondly, no, there's nothing wrong with having them :smile: I drink low calorie flavoured water all the time.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Oh my goodness! I love that stuff!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Some people find that they get bloated with carbonation, but If that doesn't bother you, enjoy!
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The flavored sparkling waters usually have listed in the ingredients "natural flavors" in them, which can contain glutamates similar to msg. It isn't bad for you per se, but it tricks your body into thinking it is getting nutrients when it really isn't.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I go through 36-48 sparkling waters a week. No shame in that game.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I drink heaps of sparkling water, I love my soda stream! I add a dash of lemon or lime juice. Love it!!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I drink heaps of sparkling water, I love my soda stream! I add a dash of lemon or lime juice. Love it!!
    I want one, but my husband says no, wait and I'll make you a system. He's a bit of a mad inventor, so who knows what we'll end up with. It will almost certainly involve one of those giant gas cylinders, lots of plastic tubing and quite possibly explosions. Wish me luck. I do love my fizz.