Is this a good idea?

Options

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    No.
    1. Exercise is not a tool to punish your body with.
    2. Food is not your enemy. And eating is not a battle.

This!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's possible to lose 10 lbs per month, which would take you June, July, and August. You could easily do it without being drastic.

Heavier people can lose at faster rates. OP only has 44 pounds to lose overall (per her profile.) It is unlikely that she could maintain a 2+ pound per week rate of loss for 3 months straight. You may be losing at that rate now but as you get closer to your goal your weight loss will slow down.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea if you want to set yourself up for failure and/or an eating disorder or unhealthy relationship with food.
  • rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    Sounds like a good idea if you want to set yourself up for failure and/or an eating disorder or unhealthy relationship with food.

Exactly. This is setting yourself up for failure. Dieting is HARD WORK, so why add extra challenges? DO IT RIGHT. We all have experience on this site, and want to give you good advice. It's not because we're trying to be MOMMYS OR DADDYS....we've just made so many mistakes already - that we know the advice that works.

Start at limiting your calories slightly...I started at 1,500-1,600 because I was eating 2,000 a day when I wasn't dieting - track everything with a food scale, add in workouts for TWO WEEKS! See how you feel, track where you're successful and where you fail. BE NICE TO YOURSELF! You're going to fail sometimes!!!!! Track everything you, even that piece of chocolate. Learn from your mistakes. Then, try the next two weeks after with lower calories and more exercise. TRIAL & ERROR.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Nope.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's unhealthy and unsustainable.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    No.

Why would you want to suffer more than you need to, and place so much negative association on food an exercise?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    No, this sounds like a bad plan. Not only do you set yourself up for a sort of eat/punish cycle, which is not healthy, but you're also setting yourself up for a host of side effects. Lean muscle loss, brittle bones, vitamin deficiencies, hair loss, brittle nails, bad skin, etc.
  • apeyboo
    apeyboo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To be in my healthy weight for my height I could lose 50 pounds. I'm just trying to lose the 30 that I gained my freshman year of college. I gained 30 pounds in one year so I'm pretty sure I could lose 30 pounds and it not have any harsh effect on my body. I'm 5'6 and 180 pounds. I'm pretty sedentary most of the time.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    So Op drops the question here what you all think.
    Everybody says bad idea
    OP start defending the idea and will go ahead with her plan

Next subject/post please.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    No, this sounds like a bad plan. Not only do you set yourself up for a sort of eat/punish cycle, which is not healthy, but you're also setting yourself up for a host of side effects. Lean muscle loss, brittle bones, vitamin deficiencies, hair loss, brittle nails, bad skin, etc.

Why? It's perfectly possible to meet one's nutritional requirements on 1200 calories if nutrient dense foods are chosen and no calories are wasted on alcohol or other junk.

There's no guarantee about how much weight will be lost in any individual case, of course, but I think you're drastically exaggerating the possible side-effects, particularly as the OP is talking about doing this for just three months.

I agree with you about the eat/punish cycle, if that's indeed what OP meant, but I've seen plenty of people posting on these forums saying their main motivation for exercise is to give them extra calories to eat.

• skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You gained 30 pounds in a year, and want to lose it in 11 weeks...over the course of a year, yeah 30lbs to lose is possible, that's roughly 2.5lbs a month. There's no need to rush weight loss, slow and steady by way of balanced eating and an exercise regiment is the way to go.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    apeyboo wrote: »
    To be in my healthy weight for my height I could lose 50 pounds. I'm just trying to lose the 30 that I gained my freshman year of college. I gained 30 pounds in one year so I'm pretty sure I could lose 30 pounds and it not have any harsh effect on my body. I'm 5'6 and 180 pounds. I'm pretty sedentary most of the time.

I'm 5'6" and weighed 180 mid-November. My current weight is 144. I rarely go below 1400-1500 calories and still lose. I recommend fixing your sedentary issue. Fitness goals are fun and sustain you through the times when the scale doesn't move. Please stop looking at exercise as punishment and start looking for things that will get you the body you want/are enjoyable to you.

Edit: My BMI is 23.2. Anything below 24.9 (or 155 lbs) is considered healthy for this height.
  • manders_b
    manders_b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm a 5'3 sedentary female, and I eat at least 1200 calories per day. I had a 27 lb loss as my goal, and I average around 1lb per week. Is it possible to do what you're suggesting? Maybe, but the loss will be a mix of water, muscle and fat and you'll feel awful doing it. I have eaten 1000 on some days and I feel TERRIBLE. It took you a year to put on that weight, and it's not going to come off overnight without some really un-sexy side effects like hair loss, fainting and irritability.

Instead maybe keep your 30 lb loss as a goal weight, and use MFP to get there without a tight time constraint. Or set a more realistic goal for August, like be down one jeans size or lose 10 lbs.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    It's a great idea.

If you're an actual Hobbit. If not no. Not a good idea in the slightest.

What self respecting hobbit would do this???

I am half hobbit, and therefore I have coffee, breakfast, brunch, elevensies, lunch, tea, snack, dinner, supper, and dessert.

Hobbits know how to eat.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's a great idea! You will lose so much muscle, hair, and keratin (that means fingernails) that you'll be super-light in no time! You'll look smashing, a veritable skeleton with ashen, blotchy skin and sunken eyes. All your friends will want to know how you did it -- was it meth? Did you suffer a tremendous, devastating loss? Are you on the new Consumption Diet? Only you will know the secret!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Hello, so I'm wanting to try a new thing. My goal is to consume about 1000 to 1200 calories daily. If I go over 1200 calories I have to workout for an hour. Would this be a good way to get back into the habit of eating better and exercising? Also I'm trying to lose about 30 pounds before the end of August. Could I do that with this plan?

You can lose 30 pounds and not have a harsh effect on your body ... just not by the end of August. If you want to lose weight in a healthy manner, prepare to take your time. If you want to do ridiculous things like punish yourself for reaching the minimum recommended intake levels for an adult female, expect to get called out on it.

Pick one.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hello, so I'm wanting to try a new thing. My goal is to consume about 1000 to 1200 calories daily. If I go over 1200 calories I have to workout for an hour. Would this be a good way to get back into the habit of eating better and exercising? Also I'm trying to lose about 30 pounds before the end of August. Could I do that with this plan?

You took a year to gain those 30 pounds. It is not healthy to try to lose it in just over 3 months. There are no prizes for losing the weight the fastest and there are some less than pleasant consequences. Slow down and eat enough calories to create a reasonable deficit and don't use exercise as punishment.

I'm shorter and older than you (5'4" and 36) and I've lost 40 pounds never eating less than 1500 a day. These extreme and reckless measures are unnecessary and set you up for failure at best and an unhealthy, disordered relationship with food at worst.