Loss of cushion causing pain

Options
I am not sure where to put this question. Has anyone else experienced having pain when they sit after losing inches and weight? I feel like I have to have additional cushioning because it hurts so bad and so easily. I don't know if it is because my body still needs to adjust to the changes, or if I need to plan on taking a little pillow everywhere? It only hurts right where my tail bone is. I had to order a thicker exercise mat to go under my current one just so I can be comfy while doing ab work.

Replies

• campb2ti
    campb2ti Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump! I've been experiencing the same type of thing!
  • galaxysue
    galaxysue Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    yes I experiance the same kind of thing especially long car journeys. also seem to feel the cold a lot more, I suppose I haven't got the insulation anymore
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    If you eat a cheeseburger everyday, the problem will correct itself. ;p

I think your body just needs to adapt. Give it a little time.
  • CharityAngel
    CharityAngel Posts: 111
    Options
    So do you just add cushioning too? I am hoping that someone will come along and help ease my mind telling me that it will adjust and I will not have this pain all the time. I sit a lot for my job, and then during workouts too.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have major tailbone issues, especially during core workouts. I have to sit on a pillow for my ab workouts. It happens. Just sit on something if you need to.
  • CharityAngel
    Options

LOL Definitely not going with the cheeseburger option ha ha ha Thanks for making me smile.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be hurting because you are losing weight. I've had chronic back pain for years after injuring my back. As soon as the weight was gone, the pain left too. Are you exercising, or doing something your body isn't used to doing? You may have gotten your back out of alignment. Don't blame the pain on your weight loss. Don't think of the "cushion" as your protection. Fat especially around the middle can lead to breast cancer and cause back pain. Please don't let this stop you from reaching your goal. If I can do it, so can you. Go and see a chiropractor or your primary care physician to rule out any other medical conditions. That kind of pain can also be the result of kidney or bladder infection. May sure you are drinking lots of water and reduce or simply cut out the caffeine (sodas). Keep on taking it one day at a time. We are all here for you.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where to put this question. Has anyone else experienced having pain when they sit after losing inches and weight? I feel like I have to have additional cushioning because it hurts so bad and so easily. I don't know if it is because my body still needs to adjust to the changes, or if I need to plan on taking a little pillow everywhere? It only hurts right where my tail bone is. I had to order a thicker exercise mat to go under my current one just so I can be comfy while doing ab work.

I've never had much fat on my butt, so sitting on hard surfaces for any length of time has always been uncomfortable for me.

But you shoudn't be sitting on your tail bone in the first place. Have you ever taken yoga? The first thing they teach you is how to sit properly so you aren't on your tailbone. Odd as it sounds, grab both sides of your butt and pull out a little bit and you'll be off your tailbone. ;)
  • CharityAngel
    Options

I've never had much fat on my butt, so sitting on hard surfaces for any length of time has always been uncomfortable for me.

But you shoudn't be sitting on your tail bone in the first place. Have you ever taken yoga? The first thing they teach you is how to sit properly so you aren't on your tailbone. Odd as it sounds, grab both sides of your butt and pull out a little bit and you'll be off your tailbone. ;)

Thanks! That really helped! Pain decreased already. I guess I need to work on that type of posture LOL. I have not taken yoga, but there are some yoga positions in the DVD I use 5 days a week.
  • harleyfever
    harleyfever Posts: 12 Member
    Options

LOL Definitely not going with the cheeseburger option ha ha ha Thanks for making me smile.

Buy Cadillac.
  • Janeta58
    Janeta58 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be hurting because you are losing weight. I've had chronic back pain for years after injuring my back. As soon as the weight was gone, the pain left too. Are you exercising, or doing something your body isn't used to doing? You may have gotten your back out of alignment. Don't blame the pain on your weight loss. Don't think of the "cushion" as your protection. Fat especially around the middle can lead to breast cancer and cause back pain. Please don't let this stop you from reaching your goal. If I can do it, so can you. Go and see a chiropractor or your primary care physician to rule out any other medical conditions. That kind of pain can also be the result of kidney or bladder infection. May sure you are drinking lots of water and reduce or simply cut out the caffeine (sodas). Keep on taking it one day at a time. We are all here for you.

I agree. You shouldn't be hurting because of the weight loss. I have low back pain as well and if I don't sit properly, I get a burning pain very low on my sacrum. There might be some kind of inflammation going on ie. you could have 'bruised' your 'tail bone' while exercising on the thin mat. Get it checked out just to make sure that something else isn't going on.
    Take care.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have been telling hubby that my loss of padding is uncomfortable, mine really irritates me when I am sleeping on my side. The bones in my knees press together in an uncomfortable way, and I like to sleep on my side curled up, dangit. However, I will take the pain...because I'm not prepared to use the cheeseburger remedy LOL
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have been telling hubby that my loss of padding is uncomfortable, mine really irritates me when I am sleeping on my side. The bones in my knees press together in an uncomfortable way, and I like to sleep on my side curled up, dangit. However, I will take the pain...because I'm not prepared to use the cheeseburger remedy LOL

I bought one of those "neck bone" pillows and use that between my knees at night. Helps a whole bunch!
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump I have this problem in the tub and on the floor. My hip bones hurt:(
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    I had this issue before I got pregnant and now again as well. On long car drives I bring a pillow to sit on or I'm miserable and I make sure I don't wear blue jeans either bc for me they make it worse.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If I sit for too long it seems my tailbone area starts to hurt and I was so amazed the other day when I could feel the actual tail bone EEk!
  • girlontheseesaw
    Options
    Yes, I noticed this in reverse - as I put on more weight on my rear after years of being quite skinny, I realised I could sit for longer periods without the same aches and pains.

Becomes a bit of a catch-22 in the weight gain as, just when you need to be getting up and moving a little more, it becomes so much easier to sit still!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Yes, this happened to me too. To the point that when I do yoga or pilates, I have to double and triple up on my mat under my tail bone. After some research and a few trips to the doctor and an MRI, I found that I have an elongated coccyx bone (tail bone). To the point where I can actually feel it protrude, almost like a tail. This is caused by a variety of things, in my case, giving birth to my second baby is what caused it to separate and elongate. It is common for women with this problem to feel it more after they lose weight because you lose weight in your tooshy.

Posture helps this problem to alleviate - GOOD posture all the time. You will still feel it during yoga and pilates - and other exercises but especially those. Your other options are to have cortizone injections or you can have it surgically shortened, however, this is ONLY for extreme cases and the surgery is VERY painful from what I understand.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree...maybe it's your posture that is causing the pain. Looks like you're working on that already though, so hope it eases.

I have found that I used to get quite uncomfortable sleeping in the foetal position in bed as my hip bones would hurt, but you get used to it after a while. :flowerforyou:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree...maybe it's your posture that is causing the pain. Looks like you're working on that already though, so hope it eases.

I have found that I used to get quite uncomfortable sleeping in the foetal position in bed as my hip bones would hurt, but you get used to it after a while. :flowerforyou:

I had the same problem and someone told me that it was because when I was in bed, the springs in my bed were pushing my hips up out of alignment with my spine. Here's the stupid solution they came up with - take a sledge hammer and beat the springs in. It worked. Now I have a Tempurpedic and I have yet to decide whether or not the cost was worth it.