Exam time sugar addiction - HELP!

Options
linzijoy
linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
Could anyone give me some pointers as to how I can break out of the current sugar addicted state I'm in please?!

I'm in the middle of studying for exams and find myself reaching for the biscuits / chocolate with each (decaff) coffee. I've been avoiding caffeine and alcohol for the past couple of months to help with mood swings and anxiety and it's made a tremendous difference but I'm struggling with the stress / sugar cycle. I can easily avoid sugary drinks but when I feel stressed I dive into the biscuits and cake.

I'm pretty sure this is also the reason I'm not losing anything at the moment (I'm generally keeping within my set calories) as I'm consistantly over on the sugar.

Any suggestions would be great!!

Replies

• barbara1982
    barbara1982 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Rooibos tea should reduce the demand for sugar, so maybe you should try it!

Good Luck for your exams!
  • Zalissa
    Zalissa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am also beginning to deal with my sugar addiction. Today is my first day eliminating refined sugar from my diet. My only real suggestion to you would be to find alternative healthy snacks to keep on hand and try to remove the sugary snacks from easy reach.

Good luck!
  • mammado11
    mammado11 Posts: 26
    Options
    What about eating a pudding cup? They're low in calories or Yoplait light yogurt? They have some good flavors, apple turnover, key lime pie, harvest peach and raspberry cheesecake are my favorite. They are only 100 calories each. The carbs are low too! They're good for you, but still give you something "sweet" to eat!
  • Fatlorenzo
    Fatlorenzo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I'm studying, or at least meant to be, and I want to eat everything. Have you tried making a big bowl of sugar free Jelly? Sugar free contains barely any calories! I have a bowl with pineapple rings, tinned in their own juice. I'm not putting too much pressure on, as I know I need to concentrate on energy levels, Rather than losing weight atm.
  • purpl3sox
    purpl3sox Posts: 38
    Options
    The best thing to do is just cut out all foods with sugar contents higher than 20%. The first few days will suck, but once you get past the withdrawal symptoms it will get better. Substitute fruits for sugary snacks, but keep it to no more than two a day. And just throw all of the junk in your place out. If its not in the house, you wont eat it.
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your suggestions!