I'm SOOOOO Hungry!

Options
So it's just gone 5pm (UK time) and my stomach is screaming for food. I've got an hour and a half before i can start preparing something for dinner.

Everyone always says you should eat things like banana's as they are filling and are slow release energy foods, but i cannot stand the taste or smell (Last time i attempted to eat one there was a 'vom situation'!)

Any tips/tricks or mental slaps that can help me out??

:o)

Replies

• mpfand
    mpfand Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to drink a full glass of water. If your stomach is still screaming for some food eat a handful of almonds or a Tbls of peanut butter.
  • fosterks
    fosterks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I swear by green tea - I have a mug mid morning and mid afternoon, and I never snack x
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big banana fan either - what about a piece of different fruit, and apple or a mandarin orange? My favourite snacks are cheese (a babybel light, or else dairylea on rice cakes), hard boiled egg, almonds, wasabi peas or roast soy beans if I need a crunch or some crab sticks or a slice of ham. You should be able to find something satisfying for under 100 cals to keep you going
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd try the glass of water trick, or maybe some fruit or veg? i find carrot sticks are quite filling, so might tide you over for an hour or so?!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Tea.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Warm drinks like coffee, tea, or water help with hunger pains.
  • darrielirwin
    Options
    Water or a small glass of milk! Milk does have the calories, but if the water doesn't work, it is a way to give your tummy some calories and not hugely affect your count!
  • Bighank7752
    Bighank7752 Posts: 47
    Options
    Drink water. Many times it is dehydration not food hunger. Works for me.
  • jessalice66
    jessalice66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    drink huuuge amounts of water before and after each meal, they really fill you up! also try chewing gum, as it sends a message to your belly saying that you're eating and no longer hungry. i have a cup of tea, that leaves me feeling seriously full... hope i helped! :)
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I also suggest drinking at least 8 ounces of water which will help. If you are still hungry I suggest almonds, peanut butter, string cheese, popcorn or something similar that is low in calories that is filling!
  • junestanley
    Options
    I drink green tea with every meal as well. Since it's so late in the day there I don't suggest any fruit if you are trying to go low carb. Water and some fresh raw or steamed veggies will get you thru the hump and fill you up. Great nutrients and fiber as well!
  • merrycat
    merrycat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My go-to snack is sugar-snap peas and baby carrots. Lots of fiber so you feel nice and full, and the chewing involved in the carrots will stop you scarfing down too much too fast. Try dipping them with a little hummus, if you have any.

I feel your pain though. I get hungry every two or three hours :(
  • carina_75
    carina_75 Posts: 88
    Options
    definately green tea, i have the one with fruit (cranberry and rasberry at the mo) for a little sweetness. carrot sticks are good, an apple work too, and LOADS of water!!
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. First thing I usually try is a glass of water a piece of fruit. Other times I'll have a Wasa rye crisp (30 calories) and spread on a Laughing Cow light swiss triangle (35 calories). It usually does the trick and 65 calories is a great low-cal snack!
  • kelligonzales
    kelligonzales Posts: 391
    Options
    So it's just gone 5pm (UK time) and my stomach is screaming for food. I've got an hour and a half before i can start preparing something for dinner.

Everyone always says you should eat things like banana's as they are filling and are slow release energy foods, but i cannot stand the taste or smell (Last time i attempted to eat one there was a 'vom situation'!)

Any tips/tricks or mental slaps that can help me out??

:o)

Raw almonds.... it's like 150 cals for a handful and they are good for ya all the way around
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Eat if your hungry just make sure it stays within your calories..so maybe have to have less for dinner...why suffer?
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    Tea and water. Also, try an egg. I find them very filling and they are only around 60 calories.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here. Fruits (actually, bananas aren't slow-release; there's not skin to help slow down your body's absorption like with an apple or even an orange, and bananas are pretty high sugar as far as fruit goes) and veggies are pretty guilt-free tide-you-over foods. Also, something with protein, like string cheese or cottage cheese, peanuts, almonds, etc.

Just yesterday I ate a mini-pita (about the size of a silver-dollar pancake, maybe 2 inches across?) filled with about 1 T of tuna salad for a snack, and it worked great! Only 50 calories and lots of protein AND it was yummy! (always a bonus!)

Good luck!
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    water water water!~!~! I like to drink a mineral water, sparkeling water... I feel like it tricks my stomach into thinking something is there when its not!~! Then I can ususally wait a little long for dinner.

But what I have been doing recently is helpong me out alot. I make a large salad to have before I start cookiing. This way I dont nibble when I cook and I am not STARVING when dinnner comes. When I am not starving at meal time then I can only was my portin size instead of everything in sight! I usually make a large bowl of salad and let my family eat too while they are waiting. It helps them not bother me so much and its easier to eat hot food when the salad is already out of the way..
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    snack on celery, carrot sticks, sugar peas broccoli etc. It wont break the calorie bank and is good for you:smile: