Those of you who have lived in more than one country, did it affect your weight?

Options

Replies

• AlanaLouise71
    AlanaLouise71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Born and raised Canadian (yup love my Tim Hortons), lived in the USA for 8 years and now living in Australia. I did notice that the portions were very large in the USA and if you were raised to clean your plate it can be a problem. In Australia, the food is fine, it's the alcohol consumption that you need to watch out. Aussies are festive people and having champagne or beer can happen all to frequently if you let it and I did gain some weight by being a "lady who lunches". Every country has their good and bad points, you just need to be mindful of what you are putting in your mouth. Obesity is a global epidemic and not too many countries are excluded from this.
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've lived in the UK for ten years (first in Scotland, then in Wales, now in England) and as others have said, I walk tons more than I ever did in the US because it's easier to get where you're going on public transport or on foot than to drive (especially in London). Just going back and forth to work is about 7,000 steps. This is significant in terms of how active I am on a daily basis because I do at least an hour of walking every single day, including tons of stairs, so I burn more calories just going about my life than I did in the US. Secondly, the food portions are massive in the US, and not just in restaurants. My mom actually got upset at me and my husband at Christmas for not eating all of the massive portions she would serve, and considered us antisocial for going on a couple of hikes on our own (she and my stepdad are unable to do this kind of physical activity, largely because they are both obese and have all the predictable health problems associated with that). We ate what we consider normal sized portions, plus a few normal seasonal treats, and still gained a stone between us in two weeks.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I lived a year in Ukraine. At that time it was hard to get groceries. And my roomie was a vegetarian, so I made meals for us both since she was poor. Put on roughly 10 lbs, that melted away when I got back to Europe and resumed meat eating.

Once I lived in the countryside for 2 years. Steep hill to «downtown». Most of the time it was useless waiting for a bus that was 1x/hour. So lot's of walking. Skinny maintenance effortlessly!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I lived in India for 6 months. Everyone says you lose weight in India, and I lost a lot, but I also put it all back on while I was still there.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I moved from Edinburgh to Amsterdam for a year. In AMS, I couldn't walk to work (took a tram then train then bus), the gyms were extortionate and also I was working crazy long hours. It was more the lifestyle that made me put on weight rather than the food.
    I managed to avoid eating some of the whacky Dutch delicacies such as chocolate chips on bread, sandwiches made with soggy biscuits in the middle and of course, stroopwaffels!!
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I moved to South Africa for a few months and gained about a stone; a combination of drinking loads of whisky which seems to be standard out there, and being very restrictive on where i could go; wasn't allowed out by myself so couldn't go for a run or go and find a gym (and i was very often living in places where there were no gyms). Didn't help that the people i was working for ran a coke producing company and a biltong factory, so always lots of yummy things to eat!
  • Rafa595
    Rafa595 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh man.... I moved to China 3 years ago and I gained 8 kilos... Not because I like chinese food (the opposite actually) but from being stressed all the time....
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I haven't lived in more than one country, but I have lived in more than one state. I've spent more time at a healthy weight while in Texas than while in Missouri. Texas potluck dinners tend to have more salads than what I remember seeing in Missouri. There is a bigger Mexican influence in Texas. In Missouri, you're almost guaranteed to have chicken and dumplings at a potluck, but it is rare in Texas. Ham seems to be more common in Missouri. While those differences could effect my weight, it still comes down to personal choice. The changes in my lifestyle at home that had nothing to do with which state I was in had more influence on my weight.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Interesting discussion! Two themes keep recurring
    • food accessibility
    • everyday exercise
    I know I lost a lot of weight effortlessly when we moved from the US – where we drove everywhere and food was easy to get hold of – to East Africa, where we walked a lot and it took quite a bit of effort to buy food (fruit and vegetables at the market, milk at a dairy store, dried goods at a couple different shops).

In particular I think candy was my problem. The whole time in East Africa we would only get a tube of Smarties or one KitKat per week. In the US I could easily buy and consume several candy bars a day. When we went to Africa, I slimmed down and when we got back home, I ballooned again.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm from Canada (Ontario) and live in the UK. I find that a lot of the healthier options that are reasonably priced here are more expensive in Canada. Then again, last time I was back, I was shocked at how much grocery prices had gone up in general. I do think the UK is generally really good at having more foods with less additives and preservatives than N.America, and so that helps. I think the style of food shopping here is very different as well. Because our fridge is tiny (bar fridge) and our flat's kitchen is fairly small, we tend to go and pick things up every day or couple days, instead of a large shop once a week. I think that helps us keep fresh fruit and veg easier which is nice.

Either way though, it is just about making wise choices and no matter where you are you make good or bad choices.
  • 13muthonikimani
    13muthonikimani Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Third culture kid here. Originally from Kenya but I've lived in 8 different countries, currently living in Malaysia. I find that when I'm somewhere where fresh food is eaten daily, lots of fruits and veggies eg Kenya, China I tend to maintain my weight and even lose a little just from diet alone. However when I moved to Canada I was overwhelmed with all the candy and the sugar, processed food everywhere, got very little exercise as I took cabs or public transport everywhere and gained a lot of weight. I think if you live somewhere where the local diet tends to be fresh produce and complex carbs in small regular meals there definitely is a change in weight
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You gain weight from eating too much. Doesn't matter where you eat it.

+1

I lived in the U.S. for 32 years and was fat.
    I lived in Canada for 13 years and was fat.

Losing weight is a mental change. Where I live has very little impact.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I lived in Ireland for 25 years and was nor fat and had two boys. Moved to England for 5 years, had another boy and got a little heavier and then walked for 40 mins in the morning and 40 mins in the evening and lost it. Then to Nigeria, for two yeas lost more weight, got pregnant, moved to Ireland to have the baby, had a girl, walked for mies and lost weight. Moved back to Nigeria and gained and gained and gained. Moved back to Ireland for a year gained then lost again. Back to Nigeria till date, gained weight thanks to Mama's delicious food, lost weight. Gained when moved to the city and now a year later lost it all and still losing.
  • bentrop
    bentrop Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live in Germany and have and still frequently do spent long stretches of time on the US East Coast.

While weight gain and loss is indeed mostly influenced by lifestyle and personal resolve, environmental and social factors definitely have an impact.

Overeating isn't difficult in either country, but, boy, does the US make it easy and convenient. High caloric food is cheap, ubiquitous and comes in absurd portion sizes. While your average German eats out maybe once or twice per week and cooks the rest of their meals at home, it's the other way around for many Americans, and I can see why: It's cheap and socially acceptable.

Actually being obese is also a whole lot easier on a day to day basis in the US. Got a BMI of over 35 and need clothes in Germany? Tough luck, the nearest Big & Tall store is a 45 minute drive away and absurdly expensive. Your regular clothing store rarely carries anything larger than XXL. In the US you can't throw a brick without hitting a Walmart with a wide selection of dirt cheap clothes all the way up to 8XL.

Walmart has other perks as well. Feeling a bit down because of your weight and recent overeating? Just head over to Walmart: No matter how obese you are, chances are, you'll find plenty of people there who are at least twice as large to make you feel better. Hey, you can still walk through the store on your own two feet, if that isn't worth celebrating with some donuts and a large milk shake on your way out, then what is?

But just like the US gives you all the tools you need to eventually gain enough mass to trap a small moon in your orbit it also has a much larger variety of tools to lose all that weight: There is ready made food for just about any diet that's in style right now. There is always a low calorie option and just about any fad diet can be shopped for with ease. Germany's selection of those food items is a lot smaller, at least if you don't want to cook them from scratch. Where it shines is fresh food: Vegetables, meat and fruit are cheap and often of excellent quality, you can make a ton of delicious and healthy meals from scratch a a much lower cost than what your local fast food place offers. Eating healthy is cheaper but requires more effort.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Bentrop, that's true! When I lived in Europe I hardly ever found nice clothes in shops because there wasn't much in my size (40-42 northern European size at that time). Online shopping was the way to go for me. Here in the Middle East it's the other way around. Just yesterday I was looking for office pants and casual trousers. If I was lucky there was one UK8 or 10, and masses of trousers starting from 12 or 14. *sigh*
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Jmgkamp wrote: »
    My husband, from Europe, was and is amazed at the number of buffet/all u can eat places here. Amazed and horrified.

That's funny...I grew up in the US and have been to buffet/all-you-can-eat meals maybe 5 times in my entire life. All of these were at the urging of someone who was NOT from the US.

Maybe it is one of those things that people either tend to do a lot or not at all.

Yeah, I never go and I live in the US. I always associated it with something my grandparents did. I wouldn't be surprised if it's more regional than generational, though.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from Canada, currently living in the UK, and the only thing I found difficult was just getting used to my options. N. America has a lot more "light" "fat free" options, whereas England is a bit more limited. Just also getting used to different brands etc. But once I got accustomed to what I had available, then it was no different than Canada. I'll be moving to New Zealand in a month so anybody here from New Zealand, send me suggestions on foods please! :p
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have lived in 3 foreign countries but it was all as a child and was very active. I did a lot of walking and just playing outside. I did notice that the eating patterns of most Europeans is very different. In the UK and Germany they tend to have a substantial breakfast and their main meal in the middle of the day. The evening meal is usually lighter. They also tend to be a lot less dependent upon driving everywhere, many bicycles and lots of walking.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I lived in Germany for two years and it was a lot easier to maintain my weight there. With most things being within walking distance I was a lot more active. It didn't take long after moving back to the states in an area where winters were very harsh and a car was required to go anywhere for the weight to start creeping back up. The issue wasn't the food but my lack of making adjustments of my intake to match my new activity level.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Netherlands but living in the US.

My weight gain was of course me, but the move didn't help.

US: Easy to eat out, high calorie food is cheaper/convenient compared to low calorie. Have to drive every where.

Netherlands: Eating out is expensive compared to cooking. Fresh vegetables are not as expensive. Rode my bike or walked everywhere.

I would probably still have gained weight in the Netherlands, I have a horrible sweet tooth. I don't think it would have been as much and as fast.

You're still responsible for your own choices, but build in exercise and less eating out, sure does make a difference.