10lb in 10 weeks - is this possible?

Options
torsaer
torsaer Posts: 211 Member
Hello there. I have 10 weeks until my big holiday - when I was hoping to be near my goal weight. I have hovered around the exact same weight (128lb - 5'3") for weeks now and can never seem to budge. Do you think it's possible to give your body a real push and lose this amount of weight in 10 weeks if it's been reluctant to 'let go' up to now?

Replies

• chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. A pound a week is ideal. You can lose double that if you need to and you work at it.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    yes, the ideal amt. to lose per week is 1-2 lbs. so yes, push yourself, go for it and you can do it
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! A lb a week is a very healthy way to loose weight. Time to get diligent. Really watch your salt intake, eat lots of lean meats, fresh veggies (try 1/2 of them raw), fruit, and water, water, water, water! Throw a few good workouts in there, and you will be at your goal!

Best of luck and hope you make it down 10 before your holiday!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    It is possible yes but it does get harder when you get closer to your ideal weight. I also have 10 lbs to lose myself and I've had good results so far but do notice it takes more work to get it off now. Best of luck to you and hope you reach your goal:)
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    Yes...17 weeks 17 pounds here!!
  • bec6980
    bec6980 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    definately! give yourself 2 cheat days to confuse your metabolism and then do 1200 calorie days w/o eating for 3 hrs before bed and chug the water like there's no tomorrow!
  • munozrd
    munozrd Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs a weeks is a good steady way to loose weight. Just work hard at walking, water, and calorie intake. You will be so happy with your results.
  • sweetsunlover
    Options
    your bmi works out to be 22 which is really healthy . do you need to loose any more? x
  • shannontay
    shannontay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    not only possible, but a really realistic, good goal. I've lost about 10 pounds in the last 10 weeks. I agree with what was said before me; for the most part I've lost a pound a week, but as I've gotten within a few pounds of my goal, some weeks it's only 1/2 a pound :)
  • shannontay
    shannontay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    not only possible, but a really realistic, good goal. I've lost about 10 pounds in the last 10 weeks. I agree with what was said before me; for the most part I've lost a pound a week, but as I've gotten within a few pounds of my goal, some weeks it's only 1/2 a pound :)
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's easier to lose 10lbs in 10 weeks if you are heavier. The lighter you are, the harder it is.

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

From this page: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations
  • Helena4
    Helena4 Posts: 124
    Options
    It sure is possible, just need to stay focused! I know you are trying really hard and you have your mind set on the goal - which is the most important thing. Next you need to up the water, up the effort in cardio (by this I mean, work your body harder because it has probably got used to the level of effort you currently put in) and also try get some more veggies in there. Like someone above said - raw veggies, this is because of the fibre and the breakdown method used in the body (basically good for weight loss!)
    Something else you could also try is zigzagging which is when you eat your allowed calories one day, then the next under the next over, etc...so it get's your body out of a 'routine'. Can't stress the water enough....it's going to really help. Good luck and you know I'm rooting for you!! :)
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you are SUPER strict then maybe. I am 5'4 and 127 pounds and it is very difficult to loose weight as we are at an ideal weight for our height. My body is reluctant to get down. Last year I got down to 123 (thats my goal) but I really had to be very strict with what I ate and work out like everyday hard. It is possible but it won't be easy. If you had a lot to loose it would be easier. Good luck.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I've been losing an average of 1.25 lbs. / week, so, yes, it's possible. That said, you're at a pretty healthy weight, so it might not be possible for you to lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks. Good luck.