What do you pack for lunch?

Options
heatherlynn1621
heatherlynn1621 Posts: 9 Member
What do you bring to work for lunch to keep you full until dinner?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Leftovers from last night's dinner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most days I bring a massive garden salad that weighs in around 9 ounces. I usually have 1/2 an avocado with that and some kind of protein (usually leftover from the grill the previous evening). About once per week I have a sandwich and in the colder months of the year I make a lot of homemade soups and stews and whatnot that make for easy leftovers.

I don't eat dinner until around 8:30 or 9:00 in the evening so this generally doesn't last me until then and I work snacks into my afternoon/evening.
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have found these great stuffed grilled chicken patties (Jacks Special Grilled) in meijers they are in front of the meat counter they are full of protein and flavor (180 cals for cheese and bacon one) they take all of 2 mins to heat up in the nuker as well. I add them with some broccoli or put it on a salad.
  • JamesKeuning
    JamesKeuning Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can of albacore in water, six triscuts.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    This week it is 3-4 oz of grilled chicken breast with guacamole in a pita pocket
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've been getting really into casseroles lately. You can make some very filling ones for surprisingly few calories. I'll usually try to have two going at once in the fridge - a lunch one and a dinner one. It's nice to be able to put in all the effort cooking one day to eat for the next week.

Right now I have the shrimp/quinoa casserole that was on the mfp blog post about a week ago (though I used polenta instead of quinoa because it's way cheaper) and this one which is really good:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/02/baked-wheat-bulgur-with-sweet-potatoes-almonds-recipe.html
    though I cut down on the cheese and almonds to lower the calorie count.

I'll usually cut a small portion of casserole over a large handful of salad mix and it's filling and lunchy and great.

Or I'll just bring a tuna salad pita pocket.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Today: an open-faced sandwich made of ~70g rye bread, 120g smoked whitefish, 60g cottage cheese, red onion, radishes, sprouts, rocket salad, plum tomatoes and slices of raw courgette. 382kcal, C/F/P: 38/7/37. (Need more fat though.)

(Nothing keeps me full till dinner. I always include a small meal in the late afternoon.)
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Today: an open-faced sandwich made of ...

@doktorglass - if you don't mind, how do you pack the open-faced sandwich for work to keep it from spilling all over when carrying or unwrapping?
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Wiseandcurious: I have a lunch box with two compartments, like this. I keep a slice of bread in the upper compartment, and all the toppings in the lower (I ate it all already). At lunch time, I just assemble the sandwich on a plate in my office.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that's clever!
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Healthy Turkey Chili, I'll make a big batch on Sunday and eat it throughout the week. Also salads with leftover chicken, smoked sardines with wasa crackers, or just leftovers.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean chic pea patty (Morning Star) on a 100 calorie sandwich thin. Sometimes I'll add a slice of low-cal cheese and some yellow mustard. I have a serving of Snack Factory pretzel thins with it & carrot sticks with low-cal dressing.
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I eat my breakfast at work - usually oatmeal or English muffin with egg. I have a morning and afternoon snack - either fruit or veggies and my lunch is leftovers from dinner. Along with tons of water, I am full until dinner.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I work at a hospital so we have a cafeteria, and I don't pack lunch. We have a pretty basic salad bar and I just add on whatever protein they have going on that day, so long as it isn't fried or covered in oil or something.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    A ton of salad and usually some sort of seafood. Tinned tuna, poached salmon or king prawn etc. I find it helps with protein so I feel fuller but not too many calories. Although I'm fairly new to this do maybe I'll be corrected...
  • gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Seed crackers with tzadziki (treat: add crumbled bacon pieces or sun dried tomatoes).

Homemade bean dip with corn chips and veggies.

Haven't done this for a while but I love smoked oysters (bring a can and spread them on whole grain/seed crackers.)
  • ONUnicorn
    ONUnicorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This week it's been yogurt and cottage cheese and applesauce (I'm having dental work done). Normally I prefer leftovers from the night before, or a lean cuisine and fruit, or I go out (usually to Panera Bread because it's just downstairs).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt with pb2, sometimes also with an oreo cookie. A can of some kind of fish (tuna, smoked trout, sardines), with spinach. I like shrimp with black beans, hot sauce, and broccoli slaw. I usually need a snack around 4 though, a coffee and a quest bar or dark chocolate.
  • _shannon92
    _shannon92 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Today: an open-faced sandwich made of ~70g rye bread, 120g smoked whitefish, 60g cottage cheese, red onion, radishes, sprouts, rocket salad, plum tomatoes and slices of raw courgette. 382kcal, C/F/P: 38/7/37. (Need more fat though.)

(Nothing keeps me full till dinner. I always include a small meal in the late afternoon.)

That sandwich sounds absolutely amazing. I'm not usually one for sandwiches, but I will have to try that!
  • jhamptonsleboda
    jhamptonsleboda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The key for me is to bring a snack to work that I can eat between 3-5pm. No matter what I eat during lunchtime, I'm on the go for most of the work day so I need a pick me up to tide me over to dinner (I have a 40min commute home so I don't eat dinner until 6/7pm once I walk the dog, heat up dinner, etc.). Little containers of granola, a serving of pistachios, pretzels/crackers with 1oz cheese, strawberries/bananas, etc....anything that is portable and keeps me from becoming hangry works. I just need to bring something or I find myself walking down to the vending machine and making not-so-perfect choices.