low carb diet not so good ?

Options
hupsii
hupsii Posts: 258 Member
Hi,
check this out and let me know your thoughts.
Thanks !

http://nutritionfacts.org/2015/05/19/low-carb-diets-and-coronary-blood-flow

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Okay, I'm a vegetarian who likes carbs... and a little poking around that site shows it to be just a tad biased towards... plant based eating.

So not really trusting that link to be unbiased in spite of citing studies. I've seen studies where the findings confirmed the researcher's biases too.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Nutritionfacts.org is run by a militant vegan just FYI
  • hupsii
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Nutritionfacts.org is run by a militant vegan just FYI

OK - thanks !
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Mmmm the bacon. Couldn't get past the bacon...
  • hupsii
    Options
    Okay, I'm a vegetarian who likes carbs... and a little poking around that site shows it to be just a tad biased towards... plant based eating.

So not really trusting that link to be unbiased in spite of citing studies. I've seen studies where the findings confirmed the researcher's biases too.

You are right, one can't trust anyone ...
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I don't care about any of it. I've had breast cancer with a mastectomy on one breast, glaucoma, and shingles all in the past two years. Plus I've lost 36 pounds since November 2014 when I decided to be healthy. I have a dog who loves to go on walks, a senior membership at the Y, and I am GOING to be at the weight I was when I quit smoking eleven years ago!!!!
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to lower carbs, than no reason to lower them. I mean people do change their macros on here to lower the percentage of carbs, but I don't believe it's drastic. I personally have a goal range for 40-45% carbs daily, higher protein and fat.

Just remember, carbs aren't bad. It's excess of anything that gets most people in trouble. People need glucose, that's actually what your brain needs to function. :wink:
    Protein and fat can't fuel your brain.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I get my carbs and my bacon too.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    bmele0 wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical reason to lower carbs, than no reason to lower them. I mean people do change their macros on here to lower the percentage of carbs, but I don't believe it's drastic. I personally have a goal range for 40-45% carbs daily, higher protein and fat.

Just remember, carbs aren't bad. It's excess of anything that gets most people in trouble. People need glucose, that's actually what your brain needs to function. :wink:

Yes, you can use protein and fat to fuel your brain. It's called Gluconeogenesis and it's how Keto works. Not to disagree with the main point, that your brain needs glucose to operate and carbs provide it. One thing to note is that your body frequently needs less carb than you may think. Everybody has a healthy balance of macronutrients generally based on the level and type of exercise they're performing.
  • hupsii
    Options
    I don't care about any of it. I've had breast cancer with a mastectomy on one breast, glaucoma, and shingles all in the past two years. Plus I've lost 36 pounds since November 2014 when I decided to be healthy. I have a dog who loves to go on walks, a senior membership at the Y, and I am GOING to be at the weight I was when I quit smoking eleven years ago!!!!

You went through a lot but you are very determent ! I wish you all the best :)
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Just not true. If you have science to back this claim up, I'd love to see. However I believe it just does not exist.

Low carb is a choice and a tool for CICO. It's not bad. It's not good. It's a choice. A tool. Nothing more, nothing else.

This. I find that low carb helps with hunger control. I can eat X number of calories as fat and protein with moderate/low carb and feel full longer than eating a mostly carb meal with the same calorie count. For me, that matters a lot when eating at a deficit. Your liver provides/stores the needed glucose for your brain.

Edited to add: DH's snoring STOPPED two days after going low carb and has remained absent for the last 5 months, even as we've gradually increased the macro (still low). Since getting good quality sleep is pretty significant for health, I'm calling it a low-carb win :smiley:
  • hupsii
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »

Just not true. If you have science to back this claim up, I'd love to see. However I believe it just does not exist.

Low carb is a choice and a tool for CICO. It's not bad. It's not good. It's a choice. A tool. Nothing more, nothing else.

This. I find that low carb helps with hunger control. I can eat X number of calories as fat and protein with moderate/low carb and feel full longer than eating a mostly carb meal with the same calorie count. For me, that matters a lot when eating at a deficit. Your liver provides/stores the needed glucose for your brain.

Edited to add: DH's snoring STOPPED two days after going low carb and has remained absent for the last 5 months, even as we've gradually increased the macro (still low). Since getting good quality sleep is pretty significant for health, I'm calling it a low-carb win :smiley:

Hey that's good to know :)
  • jingerbird
    jingerbird Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Since I have type II Diabetes, I keep my carbs fairly low but only through not eating chocolate, sugar, white bread. I used to take 16 tablets every day and now I take none but I can certainly tell when I eat too many carbs. I feel sluggish, have headaches and when I have too many carbs over a long period of time, develop Thrush.

But everyone's body is different and what works for one, doesn't work for another. I like to experiment and see what effects different foods have on my body.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I kinda stopped paying attention when he started talking about "his books" and "his videos."

OIC. You're just selling something. Got it.
  • hupsii
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I kinda stopped paying attention when he started talking about "his books" and "his videos."

OIC. You're just selling something. Got it.

Yes, but all the videos are free ....