Toe Pain- runner

Options
Hey guys! I wanted to see if anyone has any advice. The last two or three weeks, I've been having some pain, primarily around my second toe- in between and under, but ONLY when I am barefoot or wearing sandals. I have ZERO problems while running or while wearing my running shoes. I have iced after a few of my longer runs. I was thinking about doing some ibuprofen therapy too, but I don't want to be doing something "pain free" and really be causing more troubles. I tend to have a very high pain tolerance as well, so my scale on 1-10 is never relative to others.

5 weeks until 1/2 marathon day!!!

Replies

• JuliaD81
    JuliaD81 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing what everyone says about this, because I have the same problem. It didn't start until after my first half-marathon, so I figured it had something to do with running long distances. But, I only ran 9.5 kilometers tonight and can feel it now. hmmm.....
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Id google it. Then talk to a podiatrist if you don't find any info there. I'm a runner but haven't ever had any toe pain. Good luck on your half!
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm also a runner and have never experienced to pain when not running. I can only guess, but I agree with brityn about googling it or seeing a podiatrist. It could have something to do with your non-running shoes. Perhaps?
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It's worth a visit to the podiatrist. A friend of my had similar troubles and had to have a small proceedure to releive the pain. They fit her with orthotics and she has not had the same touble since.
  • cecrossley
    cecrossley Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks guys, The closet thing to my symptoms I can find on Google gives me "bursitis" which I have had in my shoulder. We are sans insurance at the moment, but if it's still bugging me, I'll mention it to my family doc when I take my kids in next.

At first, it started out as a "pressure" type feeling, almost like I needed to be adjusted (do chiropractors DO toes!?) But now, It't more like a tightening. It says to ice (for bursitis) so I'll keep with that.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It could possibly be a neuroma, which is why shoes help. Some DPM would fit you for orthotics. My DPM website is www.nwfootankle.com, he has lot of information on their. The toe seperators he sells may help do the trick by opening up the space between your toes, they are comfortable enough to wear in shoes and could help relieve some of the tightness which may be causing the pain. They are really quite more common than you think so people just live with them, others they really bother.

Good Luck.