Does anyone feel like their body has a "set" weight?

Options

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight, but never obese, my highest around 140 lbs. I have been as thin as 110, but haven't been able to get and stay below 120 without very serious restrictions (around 1000 calories a day). Since I don't feel well at those levels, I have had to accept that my body wants to be between 120 and 125. Eating a bit heavier, it settles at around 126-128, lighter, closer to 120.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    OP,

Ninerbuff thinks you're wrong because you are wrong, to a point. Mostly this imaginary "set weight" is in your head, consciously and subconsciously. Your body itself has no set weight. "Natually skinny" people, when forced to not work out and increase their calorie intake will generally fidget more and find other "non-exercise" methods of burning the calories, while the opposite is also true. Over time, with effort, you are fully capable of taking control of your body and resetting this to a lower or higher weight depending on your goals.

By the way, the article you linked is a giant commercial for bariatric surgery. The doctor concludes that bariatric surgery is one method of changing your set weight, which the entire document is biased towards indicating exists.

Here, have an article about your set point weight. Here's a key statement from the article:
    But just as it's possible to reset your set point to a higher point, it's also possible to lower it. The secret is to work with, not against, your body's natural tendencies and lose weight slowly, one silhouette at a time. - See more at: http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/BIDMCInteractive/BreakThroughYourSetPoint/WeekOneTheScienceofSetPoint.aspx#sthash.ddOnJ3D4.dpuf
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Although, I would note that I can specifically recall that my baseline "hunger level" has changed throughout my life, depending on what was going on (more exciting time, maybe new apartment, new boyfriend, woops! forget to eat a while... winter time, settled into a relationship, hungry all the time...)

All the while, without deficit and exercise, I hover right around 150lbs (5'8" female, average frame).

When I weighed my heaviest though (~186), it wasn't a matter of a higher baseline "hunger"; it was that I was eating out of boredom/habit/dissatisfaction with my life... As soon as I eliminated the main source of that dissatisfaction (ending a relationship past it's expiration date), the excessive eating stopped and I returned to around 150 lbs in approx. 6 months, with no conscious weight loss plan, just being happier.

All said, I don't know how this contributes to this conversation, if at all effectively... more like a stream of consciousness realization thing in a public forum.. haha I may have just had a breakthrough...

Down to 146 this morning, BTW. :):):)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no I don't believe in a set weight. Unless you decide that's what you want to weigh.

I want to weigh 140lbs so I will and I will maintain it by eating the amount of calories required to....if I decide to weigh 145 or 135 I can maintain that too...so set weight is an excuse not to try hard enough to get to a lower/higher weight.

And of course weight will be stable for a period of time without trying...but then it will go up or down..a lot depending on what you are doing not what your body decides...

If this were a fact than people wouldn't be obese or too skinny as their bodies would regulate themselves to their "set weight"....
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Well, not if you're eating too much. It won't stay at your goal.

But I believe in a set point. I.m pretty steady at 127 for 5'3". Occasionally I'll lose a couple or gain a couple of pounds, but as long as I'm doing maintenance it's stable. And I can't stay Lower than that without a lot of effort.
  • HollandOats
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    no I don't believe in a set weight. Unless you decide that's what you want to weigh.

I want to weigh 140lbs so I will and I will maintain it by eating the amount of calories required to....if I decide to weigh 145 or 135 I can maintain that too...so set weight is an excuse not to try hard enough to get to a lower/higher weight.

And of course weight will be stable for a period of time without trying...but then it will go up or down..a lot depending on what you are doing not what your body decides...

If this were a fact than people wouldn't be obese or too skinny as their bodies would regulate themselves to their "set weight"....

I tend to agree that no, there is no "set weight"; however, I would have no problem accepting that when the factors of emotional eating, issues with moderating high calorie foods, EDs, metabolic health influences, mobility issues, etc. are removed, a person would then have a "normal", even "healthy" weight he/she would hover around without excessive activity, and no intentional restrictions. But defining normal (and even excessive), in terms of weight, consumption or activity level is a moving target, so it's really just a theory and nothing more, because of all the above factors.

In the end, I've found that my weight, for the majority of my adult life where I was not 1. actively trying to lose, and 2. did not have outside factors like I listed above in effect, hovered around a number that is in my mid-range BMI. I'm just one girl though. All anecdotal, really.
  • HollandOats
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Actually now that I think about it, the BMI range is probably a good paralell for the idea of a "set weight". A range, rather than a specific number makes more sense... but there it is, pretty much.

(Of course, BMI range is wide... I think mine is something like 125-170 or somesuch... so not really saying much).
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My natural appetite is fairly steady, perhaps 2200 calories (more if I exercise), which means I usually end up at around 155 at 6 feet tall. However, when I'm eating that much, I'm usually eating things that aren't that healthy, eating out a lot, etc. I'm sure there's 3000+ calories days in there now and again, too. If I eat more mindfully when I'm hungry, it tends to be around 1700-1800 calories if I'm not exercising, and that means I maintain at a lower weight.
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes. The hypothalamus contributes to this "set weight".
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    No. I've been everything from 15lbs underweight (in high school) to 30 lbs overweight and I guarantee if I had continued down the road I was on before Mfp I would have continued to gain even more. I don't have a set weight, if I am willing to put forth the effort I can lose the weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    heck yes lol, I find it darned hard to say under 133lbs, I actually just decided that would by my maintenance weight as I fought so hard to get under it and it just wasn't happening.. I am focusing now mainly on body recomping :smile: :smile:
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    jezahb wrote: »
    I am asking because my body always seems to go back to the same place if I am not counting calories. If I just let go, relax and don't go crazy but also don't diet, I always ALWAYS go back to around the same weight (within 5 lbs). Even if I diet and lose weight, as soon as I let up I will slowly gain until my body gets back to that weight. Luckily it doesn't seem to want to go over that amount, my natural appetite is pretty small (my issue is more the choices I make for WHAT to eat not how much) so I would have to actively try to go over this "set" weight. Anyone else feel like their bodies just have a weight they want to be at?

Whenever I'm cutting calories and make a mistake, have a lapse in judgement, over eat, etc I always seem to end up at 10:7 lbs.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    If you return to a more sedentary lifestyle and start eating less filling, higher calorie foods you'll start gaining. Its just the nature of the body. I'm not a big believer in set theory unless we are talking about extremely lean levels of body. I am a big believer in if I change my crappy eating and excercise habits for positive changes to occur and then revert back to my old bad habits the same thing is going happen again and again and again.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My body has a set weight for when I know I'm in trouble and hovers there for a while. At 178 lbs I get back pain. That is my set weight for pain to begin.

I'll hover closer to 188 - 190 with no excercise and eating whatever I like. I've never been over 220lbs. I hit 220 when I was severely depressed. When I felt better I came down to 188 lbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I am asking because my body always seems to go back to the same place if I am not counting calories. If I just let go, relax and don't go crazy but also don't diet, I always ALWAYS go back to around the same weight (within 5 lbs). Even if I diet and lose weight, as soon as I let up I will slowly gain until my body gets back to that weight. Luckily it doesn't seem to want to go over that amount, my natural appetite is pretty small (my issue is more the choices I make for WHAT to eat not how much) so I would have to actively try to go over this "set" weight. Anyone else feel like their bodies just have a weight they want to be at?

No...what is happening is that you have a natural tendency to a certain calorie intake...that particular calorie intake is resulting in this "set point" you're talking about.

One of the difficulties people have with maintaining really lean bodies is that basically you have to pay attention all of the time...you don't have to count necessarily, but you can't "relax" your diet as you say. I can, for example, maintain 12% - 15% BF pretty easily being fairly nutritionally conscious and getting regular exercise. To maintain much below 12% requires me to be "on" pretty much all of the time and to forgo certain things that I really enjoy like beer...and it's just not really worth it to me.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is habit driven. When you're not calorie counting, you revert back to old habits - and old habits take you to old weight.

When I'm logging my food, I'm more aware of how easy it is to go over my daily calories, so I'm constantly adjusting. It is not habit for me, though i am getting better. I have a habit of eating a certain amount when I am not counting, and so my weight will increase to that point where my calories in balance out my calories out and I hover around a set point.

As I learn to shift my habits, and practice them for longer periods, my set point is lowering.

I set goal at 165, and I am at 170, but I am pretty happy with this because of my strength gains. I am not overly concerned about those last 5 pounds. But I need to keep logging because I can easily exceed my daily cals by 800 - 1000 if I'm not paying attention. (I have a very healthy appetite).

So...

TLDR:
    I think that "set point" is driven by your eating and exercise habits. If you change your habits, your set point will change. It takes time and determination and regularity.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    A 'set point' or 'set weight' is nonsense.
    What is happening is that you you have consistent eating habits that cause you to gain (or lose) weight. At some point you will stop gaining (or losing) weight because you're now eating at maintenance for your weight. If you alter your eating habits, your weight will alter as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Did research after posting this and there is a TON of research out there backing up my observation. Medical research shows that human body weight is remarkably stable even in obese people,

Yes- this is what I have read several times also. Thebody is used to having a certain amount of body fat, depending on the individual and will increase hunger signals as thoses reserves are depleted. It is certainly possible to maintain below that amount but you may have to struggle with hunger. What I'd like to know is when , if ever the hunger signals will subside and the body 'accept' the lower body fat level. ( obvuiosly I'm talking about a healthy lower amount here)

A "healthy" level of BF is a pretty huge range. For a guy, we're talking anywhere from 8% - 19% BF. I can attest to it being much easier to maintain on the higher range than the lower range. I can maintain 12-15% BF pretty easily by being relatively conscious about my diet and eating habits, but also allowing myself a little leeway. I have difficulty maintaining below 12% because I'm always hungry and my hormones start going wonky and I really have to be "on" with my diet.

The reason people regain their weight is not because of some "set point" but rather a "set point" of eating habits which haven't really changed. They "diet" and then go back to "normal"...when in reality, there has to be a new "normal".

set point theory is just an excuse to overeat.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I think a lot of it is habit driven. When you're not calorie counting, you revert back to old habits - and old habits take you to old weight.

When I'm logging my food, I'm more aware of how easy it is to go over my daily calories, so I'm constantly adjusting. It is not habit for me, though i am getting better. I have a habit of eating a certain amount when I am not counting, and so my weight will increase to that point where my calories in balance out my calories out and I hover around a set point.

As I learn to shift my habits, and practice them for longer periods, my set point is lowering.

I set goal at 165, and I am at 170, but I am pretty happy with this because of my strength gains. I am not overly concerned about those last 5 pounds. But I need to keep logging because I can easily exceed my daily cals by 800 - 1000 if I'm not paying attention. (I have a very healthy appetite).

So...

TLDR:
    I think that "set point" is driven by your eating and exercise habits. If you change your habits, your set point will change. It takes time and determination and regularity.

This pretty much right here.