Exercising with a bad back?

Hi all, I have a pretty knackered back and can't walk very far, can anyone recommend ways to increase my activity levels \heart rate \ metabolism?
Thanks x
:smile:

Replies

• Hi all, I have a pretty knackered back and can't walk very far, can anyone recommend ways to increase my activity levels \heart rate \ metabolism?
    Thanks x
    :smile:
  • growing up my mom had 3 back operations...she gained alot of weight...she used richard simmons...alot of times she couldn't do it for very long ( her back was that bad) but she did some...and it helped she lost alot of weight through his program....give it a try but consult your doctor first not sure what type of problems you have with yours..

also....there is a program that is on tv all the time...its a older lady i can't remember her name but she does exercise with a chair......you could try that tooooo....

hope this helps and good luck
  • JODY
    JODY Posts: 7 Member
    I THINK BEING ACTIVE IN A SWIMMING POOL IS THE BEST PLACE TO EXERCISE YOUR BACK .JUST WALKING AND STRETCHING AND TREADING WATER IS GREAT ACTIVITY . I DONT THINK A PERSON ACTUALLY HAS TO SWEAT TO GET THERE HEART RATE UP. I ALSO THINK A EXERCISE BALL IS GREAT JUST SITTING ON IT WHILE YOUR AT THE COMPUTER AND A LITTLE BOUNCE IT IS DOING SOMETHING.
  • Thanks for that..
    I am in the UK so I have just googled richard simmonds as I didn't know who he was! Looks worth ago tho thanks
    Also, don't think we watch the same TV so tet me know what it is if you see the advert again
  • laxgirl
    laxgirl Posts: 27
    You could also try doing some cardio on a recumbant bike
  • the sitting down lady on tv i used google and found her...check this site out see what you think..you can get the videos there

http://www.armchairfitness.com/araer.html
  • I have a bad back from a partially herniated disk and I find that slowly making my muscles stronger have help a great deal. I agree that swimming is a very good way to start.
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    I had low back fusion surgery about 18 months ago. I use the elliptical machine and treadmill (walk, don't run). My physical therapist and doctor said to not use a recumbant bike (too much stress on the back), but I can use an upright bike.

I also do core exercises my therapist gave me after my surgery (squats using an exercise ball against the wall, sitting on a ball to do light free-weight work with my arms, and some stretches done using the exercise ball).

A lot of machines in the gym will hurt your back, especially if you don't use perfect form. You may want to ask your doctor for back exercises, or ask to see a physical therapist for guidance.
  • I was diagnosed with 3 bulging discs and atheritus in my hips. Doc said the surgery won't help me and i'll be on meds the rest of my life. I walk and after a few minutes I am very sore, I can't stand or sit for long periods of time either. I started to gain weight because of it all and decided I didn't care what the doc said, I had to do something. I started walking laps thru my house I am now up to 10 minutes. I started with the treadmill, it hurts to do the incline so I have to switch to regular, I can only handle about 5 minutes of that. I'm also trying to do crunches with the ab roller. I have a doc appt on the 7th and I will probably catch heck because I hurt so bad. Am I making things worse? I'm hoping with a little time and patience I can get thru it. Good luck to anyone out there trying to excercise with back problems!!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    For me I enjoy a little bit of tai chi or quigong for stretching and gentle exercise. It might work for you also. It is not really cardio per say but it would work well on days that you are not doing cardio.
  • Thanks for all the good idea's xx
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    I had back surgery last summer. Due to an extremely herniated disc that crushed my muscled I went from being in some back pain to losing the ability to move my legs in about 2 hours.

When I was able to start physical therapy they had me doing some short time on the recumbent bike and then mostly strengthening exercised for my legs and core.

I would really suggest seeing a physical therapist who could put together an exercise routine for you. If you are not able to to that then I would do as some others suggested and work out in the pool and do some walking.

When I first was in physical therapy I was told not to do the eliptical, not sure why, I'm able to do it now but my surgery was 7 months ago.

Walking in sad was also very good for strengthening my legs and back after surgery. Good luck, I know how back it can hurt and how much it can take away your motivation.

Just remember, every pound you lose and every time you strengthen those core muscles, you are making things easier on an already stressed back.