Running after ankle injury

Options
I have been working on my running game, just started back in January, I was in my mid 20's when I ran on a regular basis so I've been excited to be back at it. A little over a week ago I twisted my ankle and tore a ligament. I'm off work for 4 more weeks.

Just want to hear from others about how hard (or easy) it was for you to return to running after an ankle injury. Needless to say I'm totally bummed !

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    I had an ankle reconstruction and 3 leg surgeries 4 years ago. I wish you a speedy recovery.
    My suggestion to you is follow your medical doctor and your rehab therapist advice.
    Be very, very, very patient. Do not rush. All the exercise will be waiting for you.
    Manage your expectations.
    You can not run, burned calories or lift heavy. Eat less food.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The PT said to try the stationary bike w/ no resistance which worked well, I also did some upper body dumbell and machine work outs which also went well, The boredom is the worst part !
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    I had an ankle reconstruction and 3 leg surgeries 4 years ago. I wish you a speedy recovery.
    My suggestion to you is follow your medical doctor and your rehab therapist advice.
    Be very, very, very patient. Do not rush. All the exercise will be waiting for you.
    Manage your expectations.
    You can not run, burned calories or lift heavy. Eat less food.
    Good luck in your healthy journey

^That.

I rolled my ankle back in mid-March and had a light sprain. I was completely off running for almost 3 weeks, with just one short easy 10 minute run after a 3 hour bike ride on day 14 to test it (it felt fine during since I was really warmed up from the bike, but a little achy after, so I was off running for another week...and I had KT tape on my ankle for a solid 6 weeks - the 3 weeks I was off, and the first 3 weeks I was back running). And that was just for a VERY light sprain.
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think it will be at least 2 month for me if not more, I'm in no rush, my job counts on a healthy ankle too !
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've sprained my left ankle twice in the past year, most recently in mid-March. I couldn't do any aerobic exercise for 6 weeks (per my doc). I was on prescription anti-inflammatories for that whole time and was in either a boot or compression sleeve 24 hours a day (I still wear the sleeve on occasion). I'm back to running now. I started back slowly though... just jogging to the end of the street and then a couple days later I went a little further. You just have to give it time. After I gave it time to rest/heal properly, it was fine.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I feel your pain. I broke my ankle on a run last summer and ended up in a boot for a few months. I was so worried I would have a hard time running again but it is doable. I agree with the above poster, follow your doctors advice and be patient (no matter how hard that is ;) ). When you do get back to it cut yourself some slack on pace, distance, etc. because it will take time to get back to where you were and you don't want to re-injure yourself. Good luck. :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am recovering from an injury. I start out walking and gradually get into more jogging and then to running. Good Luck in your recovery.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Yep. start out very slow. Think of it as "building a solid foundation", and shoot for the strongest foundation you can imagine.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    bump. I am off for 6 weeks due to a torn ligament and avulsion fracture (where the ligament takes a tiny bit of bone off with it)... I am soo bored and it's only the first week! Was up to running 10k so a bit down, knowing that when I start again I will lose that distance and start at the beginning.. My question is.. How do you get over the fear that you won't sprain the ankle again?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    bump. I am off for 6 weeks due to a torn ligament and avulsion fracture (where the ligament takes a tiny bit of bone off with it)... I am soo bored and it's only the first week! Was up to running 10k so a bit down, knowing that when I start again I will lose that distance and start at the beginning.. My question is.. How do you get over the fear that you won't sprain the ankle again?

You get over the fear very, very slowly. I had a minor sprain from a rolled ankle on July 22. It didn't stop me from running, but it did stop me from doing speed work and limited the distance of my long runs. I might have liked to run 15 or 17 miles, but if the ankle said 11 was enough, that's where I stopped.

So for a minor sprain, I had 4 weeks of nothing but easy running and following the podiatrist's orders on what to do for recovery. Then I had 2 more weeks of intermittent testing of very short distances of MP for tolerance. Then I had a a couple weeks of intermittent testing of very short distances of T pace for tolerance. Then speed work started with intervals of 2 minutes at T, 2 minutes easy recovery, and be ready to quit after 4 reps. I canceled one 5K because it was way too early for me to run fast, and I ran a 10 mile race mostly at easy pace because it was too soon to be running at race pace.

As slow as the return to normal running was, getting over the fear of spraining the ankle again was slower. I still worry about that every time a group run takes me onto a trail. I'm not doing cross country because of that fear and the uneven surfaces cross country runs on.

I may or may not ever get over concern about repeated sprains; but that concern is not stopping me from running. It is affecting how I run, as I am avoiding trails and skipping the cross country season; but I can live with road running for the next half year or so.

My minor ankle sprain experience doesn't really address the issue of being totally off running for 6 weeks. I've done that, and more, from having a stress fracture in my foot . . . which is why I already had a podiatrist when I sprained my ankle. Coming back from an extended period on the injured reserve list adds walk-run intervals to the front of the process before I get to continual easy runs, and chops the distance back down to ridiculously short at the start. The good news is, the distance and endurance built faster and easier coming back from injury than they did when I turned myself into a runner for the first time.

You will lose a very noticeable amount of distance and speed from sitting out 6 weeks injured, but it won't be everything. Though you may start at the same point you started at to become a runner in the first place, the development will be quicker this time around than it was the first time. Just be sure you keep it slow enough that you don't set back the healing.

When you first come back, running everything at easy pace may not be what you want to do; but it sure beats not being able to run at all.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    @kareF I don't think you ever lose the fear but you can't let it hold you back, it does diminish a bit. I broke my ankle and dislocated my foot about 6 yrs ago, had 2 surgeries and was non weight bearing for 3 months. It took me a LONG time to even wear tiny heels let alone run on it. But now I can! And it's great, you just need to build up slowly when you get back to it and take advice from whoever is treating you. I'm sure you've already told them you run but if not do, as they might offer additional support/Physio?? Good luck I hope you're back in your running shoes soon
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I tore a ligament (and a tendon) in my ankle once when I stepped in a pothole while running - worst pain I've ever felt.
    Anyway, it took exactly 9 weeks for me to get back to running, and it is SCARY the first couple times. It's like your body remembers the pain. Just take it slowly at first. I think I was back up to my regular mileage and comfort level about 6 months after that injury.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    All I can say is to continue to rehab the ankle long after you have finished PT. Eventually, you get to the point where you can tolerate more advanced work, plyo, etc. This is when most people stop and it's often a mistake in the long "run". Good luck.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Rest up and listen to your doctor. I broke 2 bones in my ankle, had surgery and have a plate and 9 screws. I had a long recovery, but was back up and slowly jogging 8 months post surgery. Again, my break was really bad so I'm sure you'll be back up and at it within 4 months. Just listen to your ankle and don't push it too much in the beginning.