Kayakers??

Options
joehempel
joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
Okay....so I signed up for a Triathlon that is on June 7th that consists of 1.) Kayaking 6 miles, 2.) Running 5.5 miles, 3.) Biking 18 miles.

Don't laugh, but I've never Kayaked before......ever....thankfully the Kayaking is down-stream.

So my question is...how reasonable is it to do the Kayaking in about 75-90 minutes? I'm used to endurance events, I'm a runner at heart, have run a couple marathons etc...have a good fitness base and decent upper body endurance.

I'm going to get out to a park that rents kayaks in the next week and put in some sort of training just to get used to the motions.

Anyway.....any thoughts on the kayaking?

Replies

• Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help you but I've only sea-kayaked, so I have no idea how long river kayaking would take.

However, a few tips:
    -Don't death-grip the paddles or you will get blisters, hold them with a firm but relaxed grip.
    -Keep your core engaged while paddling - if you try to use only your arms, they'll get tired a lot faster

-This is hard to describe, but bear with me - on long smooth stretches where you don't have to do a lot of steering and are going more for speed (I don't know how often this happens on the river but on the ocean it's most of the time), try not to reach out in front of you too far with the paddle. It overextends your back. And when the paddle goes in the water it should slice right in, not pat on top or splish splash too mucn. This last tip may be a bit more advanced than you need considering you've never kayaked, but think about it if you're feeling good out there. Otherwise just concentrate on staying upright.

Good luck!
  • joehempel
    Options
    Thanks! Those are really helpful, especially the engagement of the core!

The river is downstream, some rapids (light...very light), and there isn't a whole ton of steering....it's called a river, but really, if the boat flipped I could probably do a hand stand and get out of it lol.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Start working more if not already on your core (back, hips, abdominals, obliques, everything that connects your arms, legs, neck, and head). You generate effective stroke and techniques from your core when kayaking.

I run 6 miles every 2-3 days, cycle 20 miles in between and 4 hours of kayaking on weekends (at least 1-2x/month if schedule and weather permits). If you are a runner and have decent upper body endurance and you'd kayak downstream (wind resistance can be a killer! much of it I experience in open water) 90 minutes of paddling is not going to put much dent on your time.

Youtube kayaking body mechanics etc. (a lot of videos out in youtube) to learn more or go to a community paddling/kayaking class.

Goodluck OP! Go get it! :)
  • joehempel
    Options
    Thank you! Will look up the videos!!

So is 90 minutes doable?? I've got no experience so no real expectations.
  • FitStrongHealthy
    FitStrongHealthy Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Depending on the speed of the current and how deep it is the day of the race, you won't have to paddle too aggressively. Try to stay in the middle of the river to avoid obstacles on either side. Also, and I say this because I'm not sure how big the rapids are but follow some of the other race goers as they go down the rapids to make sure you don't flip.

If it were me, I'd borrow a kayak or rent one and actually float the river at least once to get an idea of it's layout, where the rapids are, which route to take through them, see if there are any fallen trees in the river I'm going to have to go under or over, and to get an idea of its usual current.

Good luck.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Would this happen to be the Little Miami Triathlon in Ohio? If so, I have done it several times. Let me know (PM or post here) if it is and I can give you specific info on the kayaking portion.

And, yes, most certainly doable!
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    joehempel wrote: »

YES it is doable.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    joehempel wrote: »

If this is the heart of your question I would look and see if there are times/splits from previous races posted on the events website.

I've done a couple of Adventure Races and I've found that if I'm in shape for the running and the Mt Biking, that the boating will take care of itself.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Paddling a kayak 3.5 mph on still water shouldn't be a problem for anyone in shape that has practiced enough they can keep it in a straight line. With current in your favor you should be able to hit at least 4 mph. which would give you 90 min. for 6 miles.
    Takes a lot of folks 3-5 times out before they really get the kayak under control , then it's second nature, so practice.
    All this of course depends on the shape of the boat. Generaly , long narrow sharp pointed boats (viewed from above) are faster and more unstable (They seem to want to be upside down on the water with you under water ) and short wide blunt nosed boats are more stable but slower. Gloves might help with blisters.
    I would just practice and do the race and enjoy it . What the heck next time you'll do better (((;
    Don't forget flotation gear.
    Have Fun.
  • joehempel
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info!!

I took the first step and bought a bike today LOL, haven't biked since a teen. So I did 30 minutes at about 12.5mph, and then 30 minute run. Saturday I'm going to try and hit the kayak and then again on like Tuesday or something.
  • joehempel
    Options
    Got out today and did about 30 minutes on a still lake......managed about 17:45 per mile, it was my first time out ever. Really need to work on technique, but will get out a few more times before the triathlon June 7th
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just did a 6 mile kayak run down stream. I had never done it before and it took over 2 hours. There were alot of factors for me that slowed me that i didnt expect.
    1.the wind
    2. Very shallow in parts and i had to go around rocks..steering isnt as easy as i thought
    3. Other people canoeing and kayaking around myself. I had to stop and restart to avoid hitting others.
    Good luck. The next day my shoulders arms and abs were on fire!
  • Leebeanie
    Leebeanie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a whitewater kayaker but it's an extreme sport. It is Great exercise for your abs as well as your cardio and gives you great upper arm strength. The only thing you have to learn is how to do a combat role if your Kia gift flipped upside down in a dangerous rapid. But I think you're talking about something a little less mild. Do a lot of push-ups.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the type of kayaking it is, you need to learn to roll upright again. Otherwise, you will have a kayak that fills up with water, feels like 2 tons as you trying to pull with you on a long, tiring swim all while not trying to lose your paddle.

Check around and find a kayaking school in or near your area and take the class. If you can not learn to roll, I highly suggest you back out and find a triathlon that does not include this. As a former whitewater safety kayaker/river guide/trip leader for 8 years I can attest to watching a lot of kayakers get in over their head not being able to roll upright. I have had to help unpin kayaks that were upside down, pinned on a rock with the occupant struggling to get out more times than I can remember.

Be safe and take the class. When it comes to mother nature there is no winning. You either lose or break even for that day.
  • _nice_
    _nice_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yep, you can do it. You say you have decent upper body strength (do you lift? That will help. You need a strong back for paddle racing.) practice with a kayak all you can. I just did a similar race last month, the lady who was launching beside me had never kayaked in her life, won first place for her age group (probably 10 or so competitors), had taken a rowing class to prepare but said afterward she shouldnt have wasted her time because it didn't compare. We raced on a large river with 1 foot swells. The key to you making decent time is not dumping the boat! Practicing launches and landings will help prevent that.
  • joehempel
    Options
    The kayaking isn't whitewater....it's more like a mild stream pushing you along LOL....it's nowhere NEAR heavy rapids, so I think I'm pretty safe when it comes to that.

As far as upperbody and core, I've got that, lots of pushups and back work and a lot of core work. One thing I did notice yesterday when on the still lake is that once I got into a comfortable position, engaged the core, I was moving along really well. Steering was incredibly easy and intuitive and I was able to control the kayak pretty well.

Now, lets see what happens when I try it on a river.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I would guess that they are running the course on what is a Class II river section, maybe even a Class I, just to be safe. The misconception is that the accidents that injure or kill kayakers the most happen on Class IV & V rivers. Sadly, the statistics do not support this. Even the most experienced paddlers have dislocated a shoulder or torn elbow tendons on so called "Easy" water due to a misplaced or mistimed paddle stroke.

Having seen more than I care to recall. I would ask that you err on the side of caution. If you want to race and want to try to win, find a beginners kayaking course and take it. LEARN HOW TO ROLL! It takes far more than the rest of the people here are telling you or can be described in this format to get you prepared for this. Despite what some others are saying it is far more than an upper body workout and nowhere near as easy as they are making it out to be. Also, having taught people to kayak I have seen some of the "mentally toughest" guys & girls cry like babies after their first experience stuck in an upside down kayak in their first attempt to do an unassisted roll. Struggling to get their paddle set up properly for the roll, failing a proper roll attempt, getting their head out of the water just far enough to get a half a breath of air, a mouthful of water, panic sets in, paddle floats away as they struggle to pull their skirt off and push themselves out of the kayak. All the while I am standing next to them in flat, calm, waist deep water. Even if the kayak is a sit on top, the shear look of panic on your face with the total loss of control in that situation the first dozen or more times you take a swim is enough to get you in serious trouble. Everyone, and I mean 100% of the people that go for an unexpected swim will attempt to stand up. Despite being told numerous times not to do it. As I paddled towards them I would have to scream at them over and over not to try to stand up, to roll onto their backs, feet facing down stream. Then I would have to almost fight them off as they tried to grab me or my paddle instead of the special rope I am telling them to hold onto.

I hope you change your mind and attain a proper attitude about what can really happen when pitting yourself against mother nature. Not much more that I can do then tell you what I've experienced as a professional in dealing with all types of swift water. If I seem like an *ss about this it's because I have seen the end results of someone that thought they knew better. They would say "There are no big rocks, the waves are only 6"-8" tall, I'm a good swimmer, I have a life jacket on, if I fall out or lose my boat I'll just swim to shore."
  • joehempel
    Options
    DesertGunR wrote: »
    I would guess that they are running the course on what is a Class II river section, maybe even a Class I, just to be safe. The misconception is that the accidents that injure or kill kayakers the most happen on Class IV & V rivers. Sadly, the statistics do not support this. Even the most experienced paddlers have dislocated a shoulder or torn elbow tendons on so called "Easy" water due to a misplaced or mistimed paddle stroke.

Having seen more than I care to recall. I would ask that you err on the side of caution. If you want to race and want to try to win, find a beginners kayaking course and take it. LEARN HOW TO ROLL! It takes far more than the rest of the people here are telling you or can be described in this format to get you prepared for this. Despite what some others are saying it is far more than an upper body workout and nowhere near as easy as they are making it out to be. Also, having taught people to kayak I have seen some of the "mentally toughest" guys & girls cry like babies after their first experience stuck in an upside down kayak in their first attempt to do an unassisted roll. Struggling to get their paddle set up properly for the roll, failing a proper roll attempt, getting their head out of the water just far enough to get a half a breath of air, a mouthful of water, panic sets in, paddle floats away as they struggle to pull their skirt off and push themselves out of the kayak. All the while I am standing next to them in flat, calm, waist deep water. Even if the kayak is a sit on top, the shear look of panic on your face with the total loss of control in that situation the first dozen or more times you take a swim is enough to get you in serious trouble. Everyone, and I mean 100% of the people that go for an unexpected swim will attempt to stand up. Despite being told numerous times not to do it. As I paddled towards them I would have to scream at them over and over not to try to stand up, to roll onto their backs, feet facing down stream. Then I would have to almost fight them off as they tried to grab me or my paddle instead of the special rope I am telling them to hold onto.

I hope you change your mind and attain a proper attitude about what can really happen when pitting yourself against mother nature. Not much more that I can do then tell you what I've experienced as a professional in dealing with all types of swift water. If I seem like an *ss about this it's because I have seen the end results of someone that thought they knew better. They would say "There are no big rocks, the waves are only 6"-8" tall, I'm a good swimmer, I have a life jacket on, if I fall out or lose my boat I'll just swim to shore."

I understand what you are saying......but the water is like maybe a little more than stomach deep. People seriously go swimming and canoeing in this thing all the time....I've been in this river quite a bit. I've never had any issue with any part of it.

I won't be cancelling because races are non-refundable. I'm sure it'll be fine.

If I do a much different river (which really I don't want to), then I will get some more experience....I have no aspirations of winning or even competing in the front have of the pack...I'm there to have fun.