Trip to New Orleans!

Options
JSC145
JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
Lord, help me because it will not be easy. The food is just too damn yummy.

Any suggestions on how to maintain a semi-healthy diet in the next 5 days? My running shoes are already in the suitcase in the hopes that I will be motivated enough to squeeze in a few runs.

Also, does anyone use the app "mapmyrun"? Should I leave it on while I'm wandering all over the French Quarter or is that cheating? I usually have it sync up my runs with the MFP app and it automatically adds in the calories.

Finally, any suggestions for "healthy" alcohol options? I'm guessing hurricanes are literally sugar bombs.

Replies

• itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    JSC145 wrote: »
    Lord, help me because it will not be easy. The food is just too damn yummy.

Any suggestions on how to maintain a semi-healthy diet in the next 5 days? My running shoes are already in the suitcase in the hopes that I will be motivated enough to squeeze in a few runs.

Also, does anyone use the app "mapmyrun"? Should I leave it on while I'm wandering all over the French Quarter or is that cheating? I usually have it sync up my runs with the MFP app and it automatically adds in the calories.

Finally, any suggestions for "healthy" alcohol options? I'm guessing hurricanes are literally sugar bombs.

My suggestion is to enjoy your trip and eat and drink what you want. Try to be conscious and don't eat when you aren't hungry and stop when you get full. Beyond that, just enjoy yourself!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk. I LOVE New Orleans. I refuse to skimp on the food when I'm there! So exercise is my only option to remain semi-on track.

My one piece of advice though is to go quality. Choose the things that you are really going to love! Don't waste calories on "meh" food :)
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm facing kind of the same dilemma - going to Biloxi for a gambling trip. Loads of yummy food and alcohol!!! I'm making a promise to myself that I will be using the hotel gym daily. Hoping I can keep my promise!!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You just can't...New Orleans is the ultimate place for Food and Alcohol..Cajan City and great music and late nights... You should be walking around alot and even dancing!

• JSC145
    Options
    No kidding. I can already taste the deep fried boudin balls....
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been to New Orleans 4 times, I absolutely love it there. I just enjoy myself while Im there because we walk everywhere all day long which is more exercise than I get at home. My feet are usually aching by the second day. So I would log your steps and log everything you eat. If you go a little over, you can make up for it later, just enjoy your trip! Laissez les Bon temps rouler!
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It's only 5 days! You're not going to gain massive amounts of weight in 5 days.
    Eat GOOD food, don't eat meh food like Alatariel75 said.
    Try to have 2 meals. Have a big breakfast a little later in the morning, then go as long as you can till you have dinner. Then BRING ON THE DRINKS and go dancing!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Fill up on boiled crawfish (if still in season), boiled shrimp, and boiled crabs. Hardly any calories, and peeling/cracking them results in a negative calories :) I'm from there, so I know!
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'd say live it up. Just meander around, eat a good breakfast so you're not over eating. As for alcohol, take the liquor straight. Lol. No need for sugary chasers
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to go to Mothers. HAVE TO. poboy and crawfish étouffée are amazing there!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Eat. Drink. Dance your butt off.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the oversized "souvenir" beers or hurricanes because you can't take them into bars and clubs. Drink bourbon -straight. Eat the seafood. Look for foods with the holy trinity (celery, bell peppers and garlic) Portion out the red beans and rice. Eat only half a muffuletta. And just eat the powdered donut and coffee.
  • JSC145
    Options
    Mmmmm..... new orleeeeeeans. ...
    since noon, I've eaten a quarter of a muffuletta from central grocery with a bottle of abita amber, half a dozen raw oysters with a glass of chardonnay, a few sips of a hurricane from Pat O'Brien's, a sample of praline and a crap ton of water. Oh, and my phone says I walked more than 16,000 steps and burned 800 calories.

Up next is dinner.... can't wait. I love new orleans.
  • JSC145
    Options
    since noon, I've eaten a quarter of a muffuletta from central grocery with a bottle of abita amber, half a dozen raw oysters with a glass of chardonnay, a few sips of a hurricane from Pat O'Brien's, a sample of praline and a crap ton of water. Oh, and my phone says I walked more than 16,000 steps and burned 800 calories.

• JSC145
    Options

• JSC145
    Options
    since noon, I've eaten a quarter of a muffuletta from central grocery with a bottle of abita amber, half a dozen raw oysters with a glass of chardonnay, a few sips of a hurricane from Pat O'Brien's, a sample of praline and a crap ton of water. Oh, and my phone says I walked more than 16,000 steps and burned 800 cal

Up next, dinner! Bring on the boudin balls.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Avoid all the touristy restaurants and find the great local places. Definitely eat as much bread pudding as you can. Have fun! I go serve real times a year.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Don't buy the oversized "souvenir" beers or hurricanes because you can't take them into bars and clubs. Drink bourbon -straight. Eat the seafood. Look for foods with the holy trinity (celery, bell peppers and garlic) Portion out the red beans and rice. Eat only half a muffuletta. And just eat the powdered donut and coffee.

Donut? Blasphemy! Beignet!
  • JSC145
    Options
    Heh... didn't log anything for five days in new orleans. Ate everything from sandwiches laden with deep fried breaded shrimp to sugary beignets to creamy gumbo to moist, juicy pork sandwiches.

Managed to lose 3 pounds in 5 days!!!

Man, just goes to show if you walk 8 miles per day, you can eat anything...
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Absolutely DO NOT restrict yourself in New Orleans!!! The food is soooooo good. I mean...maybe try to have a healthy breakfast but for lunch/dinner I'd just get whatever I wanted. You'll be walking around most places so it should balance out. Just don't stress about over indulging, you'll regret not trying stuff more than you'll regret any small amount of weight gain as a result. Have fun!