Ways to prevent (or reduce) bloat?

Options
GothyFaery
GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Let me start out by saying I'm not looking for a quick fix or crazy pills I should take.

My husband and I will be celebrating our anniversary in Vegas like we always do. I just got my dress in and it looks good/fits fine. My problem is I get very bloated after drinking in Vegas or eating in general and this dress shows the slightest pouch.

I tried it on before dinner last night and it looked great, tried it on after and I looked huge! Is there anything I can do while in Vegas (besides not drinking because that's not going to happen) to prevent or reduce this effect? The dress is open back so slimming wear is out.

I still have 2 months before we go so I guess I could try to lose a few inches but like I said, the dress fits fine. I don't think it would fit anymore if I lost inches.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is not much you can do. Some things create less bloat, like drinking liquor instead of beer and often protein instead of vegetables. You can try beano or other things, but drinking and eating naturally cause bloating because of how our bodies digest foods.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Wear something else that doesn't show minor fluctuations. It would suck to go on the trip and have something like that get in the way of your personal enjoyment.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I can't think of anything.. I drink water during the day in which in Vegas this would stop because who wants to pee the whole time they are in Vegas? Plus I may even get constipated from not drinking enough water and changing the diet up...

This is a good question for sure, and I personally would try to lose just a couple of pounds (like 2) pounds so I could gain that during the trip and also moderate the water drinking (sometimes drinking too much of it makes me puffy) but just enough to stay hydrated...

For the alcohol would be 1 drink of crown royal (my drink of choice) then a glass of water, rinse and repeat.. I would be a cheap date..
  • GothyFaery
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I can't think of anything.. I drink water during the day in which in Vegas this would stop because who wants to pee the whole time they are in Vegas? Plus I may even get constipated from not drinking enough water and changing the diet up...

This is a good question for sure, and I personally would try to lose just a couple of pounds (like 2) pounds so I could gain that during the trip and also moderate the water drinking (sometimes drinking too much of it makes me puffy) but just enough to stay hydrated...

For the alcohol would be 1 drink of crown royal (my drink of choice) then a glass of water, rinse and repeat.. I would be a cheap date..

Crown is my drink of choice too. Drinking water in between drinks would also help me pace myself so I can enjoy the night and remember it too :wink:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Are you actually bloating, or do you need to strengthen your ab muscles? Often, the extra "pooch" after eating or drinking is just because you are not able to hold in the core muscles. Bad posture can also make your stomach pooch out a bit.

I would look into exercises that can strengthen the core and also practice good posture.
  • GothyFaery
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Are you actually bloating, or do you need to strengthen your ab muscles? Often, the extra "pooch" after eating or drinking is just because you are not able to hold in the core muscles. Bad posture can also make your stomach pooch out a bit.

I would look into exercises that can strengthen the core and also practice good posture.

I hadn't actually thought about that. It can't hurt to throw in a few extra core workouts for while. I hate my posture and am always trying to correct it. I really need to work on that too. Thanks for the advice!
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Shape wear or compression pants under it?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water when you are drinking alcohol/sodium-heavy foods.
    Get a more flattering dress.
    There is shapewear that can be worn with all sorts of dresses.
    You can also get a massive bag and put it in your lap after dinner. ;)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water, avoid salt. foods like oatmeal, salmon, yogurt, berries, nuts are said to be "flat belly" foods.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Spanx!!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Spanx
  • GothyFaery
    Options
    The dress is open backed, any kind of shape wear would show.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    low fodmap diet is designed to reduce bloating. Google it and try to eat only those foods for two days, you should see a result. It's designed for IBS sufferers (I'm currently on it) and very helpful for many. You're supposed to do it 4-6 weeks and then reintroduce, but if you just pick low-fodmap foods you at least know for sure you won't be eating anything that brings excess gas or water to your bowel :)