what's a good heart rate monitor to use?

Options
hi, I've never used one before but have been looking at the wrist band type. Which ones do you use? and are they good calorie burn counters?

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are meant for tracking heart rate with the intention of using the information to determine training zones. There is a non-direct correlation between heart rate and calorie burn, however they are not necessarily something to be relied on. They can only give you a modest approximation of calorie expenditure, but by no means are they an absolute tool for measuring exercise output.

If your goal is to track calories expended you might be disappointed.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Really, it's the app that determines how well the calorie burn is estimated, and even then (as explained above) it's just an estimate. The intensity of your workout can affect accuracy too, HRM's tend to give more accurate results at higher intensities, for example. That said, it is better than most simple cookie-cutter calorie burn estimators like MFP or some formulas like "100 calories per mile running". Those don't work for everyone.

I have used two and love them both. First was a Scosche Rhythm which is worn on your arm. The main complaints people have with it is getting it in the right place, it will not give solid readings if the optical sensors are not over an area where it can get a good reading (duh). I had a blood draw done once and simply took note of where exactly on my arm they stuck me and started putting it there all the time. Never had a single problem, not even once after doing this.

Second and current one is a Wahoo Tickr X. I really like this one. It does not have to be paired with any device to track HR. If you use the Wahoo Fitness app it can even give you some XYZ axis info on your running form to help you figure out how you can run more efficiently in case you bobble around a whole lot, along with cadence which normally would require a separate foot pod, but the gyroscope in the chest strap HRM can pick up your stride saving you some bucks and having to strap on another device. I find the Wahoo Fitness app sucks on Android though (maybe they have fixed it since though). For Apple devices though the Wahoo Fitness ap is supposed to be rock solid however. You do not have to use the Wahoo Fitness app though, any device that can pair with a Bluetooth HRM or ANT+ can use it.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    The above I think is the first good review of a wrist worn HRM I've seen. In general, if you want an accurate HR, you need to use a chest strap. I use the one that came with my Garmin Vivofit (so I get display on my wrist) and seems to be working well. I think Polar is generally pretty good as well. As far as calorie burn, I agree with what previous posters say regarding the algorithms used.

Just to be clear, my understanding (that I follow) is the HRM is best for getting a calorie burn during moderate to vigorous exercise (cardio). I only monitor when I'm doing cardio; it usually drops out if I activate during lifting because I don't really sustain an elevated HR. It's not something that is necessarily going to help give you a more accurate measure of calories burned in your general day.
  • daniellejm893
    daniellejm893 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Loving my Fitbit charge HR!!
  • Jsoliz0525
    Jsoliz0525 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4 and I absolutely love it! I feel that it is very accurate and very comfortable! :)
  • kamiboykin
    kamiboykin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4 as well. I really love it.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    hi, I've never used one before but have been looking at the wrist band type. Which ones do you use? and are they good calorie burn counters?

What sort of activities do you do predominately?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Heart rate monitors are meant for tracking heart rate with the intention of using the information to determine training zones. There is a non-direct correlation between heart rate and calorie burn, however they are not necessarily something to be relied on. They can only give you a modest approximation of calorie expenditure, but by no means are they an absolute tool for measuring exercise output.

If your goal is to track calories expended you might be disappointed.

This^

• SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you for these very honest and. Informative answers. I would still like to have a HRM mainly out of the curiosity to find out how much energy I'm burning. I'm not a runner but love step workouts and other aerobics and sometimes use weights while doing these. Also I want to get my body fat down, I do not have much weight to lose so cannot rely on calorie counting alone. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Thank you for these very honest and. Informative answers. I would still like to have a HRM mainly out of the curiosity to find out how much energy I'm burning. I'm not a runner but love step workouts and other aerobics and sometimes use weights while doing these. Also I want to get my body fat down, I do not have much weight to lose so cannot rely on calorie counting alone. :)

That's the thing though, an HRM won't give you an answer for things like weights and aerobic classes. You would just be getting a random number based off of a formula used for steady state cardio. You could get just as close making an educated guess.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    brisingr86 wrote: »
    The above I think is the first good review of a wrist worn HRM I've seen.
    It's worth mentioning that the Scosche Rhythm is not worn on the wrist, it won't work there. It is optical though, like the wrist worn HRM's. The Rhythm instead is placed on the inside part of your arm up towards your elbow. In the area you normally get stuck when they draw blood, for example. But placement is important. If you just guess where it shoudl go and run with it, it can give you spotty or no results at all. Once you know where you get a good reading on your arm though it is a solid unit. I have heard a few other users on MFP in my less than 1 year here also give this HRM good reviews.
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh OK :( I was hoping the monitor would really help to give me a closer idea. Still new to MFP, trying to get calorie input and output right when adding excersise!
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    polar FT4 is a great hrm!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh OK :( I was hoping the monitor would really help to give me a closer idea. Still new to MFP, trying to get calorie input and output right when adding excersise!

Not for many exercises, no. That's why I asked up thread what activities you do the most.

If among your list you'd answered "running" then yes, a HRM is a useful tool, although heart rate data isn't strictly needed to provide useful calorie burn estimates.

• tllincoln
    tllincoln Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Jsoliz0525 wrote: »
    I use the Polar FT4 and I absolutely love it! I feel that it is very accurate and very comfortable! :)

Do you have any problem with it losing your HR or chafing? I love mine but it keeps losing the signal. I've changed the battery..