Too few calories?

Options
today is day 2 for me, i tried to make sure i stayed at my limit but ended up having 500 calories remaining

My question is that ok? Or would this have a reverse effect on my weight loss journey

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot to lose, and have a large calorie allowance, then you have more leeway. A small person like me has a limit of around 1400 before exercise, so leaving 500 would be a big deal. If you're still eating over 1500, you're likely fine. As long as you're eating enough to maintain your basic nutrition (usually around 1500-1700 for a man, 1200 for a woman) then that's ok...having a larger deficit means you will lose faster. But think about whether that's the best idea. A large deficit also means you will lose more muscle, and losing muscle means a lower metabolism, as muscle burns calories. Keeping a large deficit can also cause side effects like gallstones, which are very painful. And, if you lose a lot of weight too fast, then your skin may not be able to keep up, and you'll have loose hanging skin to deal with. And finally, a large deficit can potentially trigger a binge.

So, it's fine if you're just not really hungry sometimes, but try to keep those other things in mind. One advantage is that if you eat a little less today, you have the option of eating a little more tomorrow. Some people bank calories for a treat, and measure their progress by the week instead of by the day.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It depends. For some it's ok. For others they will stall and not lose.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I lose weight eating 2000-2500 calories
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Make sure and weigh your solids on a food scale and measure your caloric liquids properly. Log everything!
    You may be eating more than you think and that's why you're not hungry.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    today is day 2 for me, i tried to make sure i stayed at my limit but ended up having 500 calories remaining

My question is that ok? Or would this have a reverse effect on my weight loss journey

Going 500 calories under will cause extra weight loss, not reverse it.
  • greenfield292
    greenfield292 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would say no its not bad. Anyway I have a question, yesterday I had 600 calories is that bad?
  • princetonmayberry
    princetonmayberry Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    All good advice thanks a lot, i think i will start measuring by the week as well, daily is too much of a hassle for me
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I remember not long after I started I was doing a lot of cardio running, lifting, walking and planks. I went way under one day thinking "big loss coming tomorrow". I woke up feeling like total crap and had to skip exercise for the day. I didn't feel all that good the next day either and worst of all the weight loss was minimal. I learned to stay under but near my target deficit from then on. I actually would lose more weight with that plan. I was running close to thirty miles a week at that time.
  • princetonmayberry
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I remember not long after I started I was doing a lot of cardio running, lifting, walking and planks. I went way under one day thinking "big loss coming tomorrow". I woke up feeling like total crap and had to skip exercise for the day. I didn't feel all that good the next day either and worst of all the weight loss was minimal. I learned to stay under but near my target deficit from then on. I actually would lose more weight with that plan. I was running close to thirty miles a week at that time.

Oh wow
  • DanPonting
    DanPonting Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Keep your calories as high as possible while still losing weight. Many people initially drop their calories way too low when they start dieting.

Don't decrease your input, increase your output.

If/when weightless stalls, then look into things like manipulating your macros, or having refeeds.
  • princetonmayberry
    Options
    DanPonting wrote: »
    Keep your calories as high as possible while still losing weight. Many people initially drop their calories way too low when they start dieting.

Don't decrease your input, increase your output.

If/when weightless stalls, then look into things like manipulating your macros, or having refeeds.