Help with water!!!

Options
When I started myfitnesspal a few weeks ago, I noticed the part of the log to record how much water you drink each day. I have never formally measured, but by my guess, its a good day if I drink 1/3 of the recommended amount of water. I realize how unhealthy this is, but I am having problems trying to increase my water consumption. I have tried using a large water bottle (too clunky and heavy to carry around), and still no luck. Does anyone have any creative suggestions on how to get those 8 glasses every day?

Replies

• acave9406
    acave9406 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know also, I can't get passed 3 glasses.
  • Hopie17
    Hopie17 Posts: 53
    Options
    i'd buy a pack of those flavored waters. the taste will make you want to drink more water and you can keep track by the bottle
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have a 32 ounce water bottle from wal-mart, $5, that has a straw on it. I notice I drink way more water with it, than if I had to unscrew the cap.
  • Madamsaucy41
    Options
    Instead of trying to drink a big bottle of water get the smaller bottles when u drink a few it looks like you drank a lot and it will motivate you to more the more bottles you drink the more you want to drink,I guess it tricks your mind it sounds crazy but it works for me.
  • tikamacphee
    tikamacphee Posts: 29
    Options
    I found it really hard to begin with. When I am at work, we have a cooler and I have a glass every hour (i work 4hrs a day), i always have a glass before breakfast usually a pint and another pint before bed and a drink with lunch and dinner as well.

The thing i hate is that i feel constantly bloated!
  • Hayyou12345
    Options
    When I first started, I had to use a timer or calendar alarm to remond me every 2 hours. If you drink 6-8 oz every couple hours, it is amazing what a difference. Now, I find it much easier and I enjoy the taste of water much more. I have a 40 minute commute in the morning and I try to challenge myself to drink my entire 32oz bottle before getting to work!!!!
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try squeezing a slice or two of lemon with whatever artifical sweetner you like. Good luck.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I also have a 32 ounce water bottle with the straw and take it everywhere
  • missmilarae0213
    missmilarae0213 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I buy cases of bottled water and keep one 16 oz bottle with me all the time (not a big jug) and try to drink 4 of them a day. Not the most cost effective method, but it works best for me. Just remember to recycle the bottles!

I also gave up diet soda so its been a conscious effort to switch it with water. Not easy, but its getting a little easier every day.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I make sure before I eat I drink a full glass of water, and then I drink another full glass while I eat. That makes sure I drink at least 6. Then I try to drink two in between each meal. I have never been a good water drinker, and I still struggle sometimes but I have noticed the significant different it makes to my weight loss. I tend to use a glass that is 16-20 ounces per glass, so with this plan I am getting more than enough.
  • BBaley2720
    BBaley2720 Posts: 13
    Options
    Just remember that if you don't drink close to the requirements of water everyday you will retain water and bloat. I know it sounds backwards but the body has a mechanism that holds water when it's not getting enough. It tells itself it needs to keep the water because it doesn't get enough of it. Another thing about drinking water is that it helps filter out the liver and kidneys and it helps move all the vitamins and nutrients throughout the body at a hastened rate
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and tend to drink too much LOL! So what I do is when I am making the coffee I always try to drink a glass of water whilst waiting for the kettle to boil or if someone else is making the coffee I ask for a drink of water.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck!
  • jasonweinberg
    jasonweinberg Posts: 270
    Options
    i fill my 32 oz. water bottle and mix it with one packet of special k2o lemonade mix. 30 calories 5 g protein 5 g fiber. that gets me halfway to 64 oz. and then i'll just fill a 16 oz. bottle a couple of times with cold tap water and i am there. often, especially if it is a good exercise day i'll go over that as well.
  • Bucsgirl29
    Bucsgirl29 Posts: 13
    Options
    i set an alarm on my phone and then reset it for every 2 hours to remind me to drink my water... it helped me! Also i add the propel zero flavoing to my water.. makes it atleast taste better
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    I buy cases of bottled water and keep one 16 oz bottle with me all the time (not a big jug) and try to drink 4 of them a day. Not the most cost effective method, but it works best for me. Just remember to recycle the bottles!

I also gave up diet soda so its been a conscious effort to switch it with water. Not easy, but its getting a little easier every day.

I just finished my first week with zero diet soda and all my water requirements...I also lost 3 pounds this week (bonus). At work I put 4 16 oz water bottles on my desk. I have to have 2 of them empty by lunch, 1 by the end of my work day and the other drives home with me. After that I'm good to go and the rest is just extra. I also use the flavored water packets in 2 of the bottles a day to swap it out.

At home I bring a propel zero every where I go, when we stop for lunch or gas, i grab another water bottle and begin to drink it. the first 3 days it was hard, by the end of the week I was going over the 8 glasses, and yesterday i had 11.

Good luck!
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I also found I drink more water thru a straw, and out of a big container so I dont have to keep refilling, I use a big beer glass of my husbands when I am at home, it holds 3 cups, and if I am on the computer, watching TV or anything, I just keep sipping. I work at subway currently so I use those 32oz cups there and try to get two in during a shift.
  • makmyra
    makmyra Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my water icey cold....so I've bought oneof those metal type refillable water bottles...so much better than plastic...water tastes so good cold! Add me if ud like! :flowerforyou:
  • kzskstir
    kzskstir Posts: 13
    Options
    Get some Crystal Light packets. They are only 5 calories and they help you want to drink more water! I still don't drink quite enough, but more than I was before!
  • jdk1031
    jdk1031 Posts: 1
    Options
    I also use 16 oz bottles. To help cut down on the cost of buying water, I just refill my bottles and keep them in the fridge. I try to drink at least 4 a day. I went from drinking only soda to now only water. At first it was a little tough, but it does get easier. I have also tried things like crystal light in my water, but I found that I actually drink more water when it has nothing in it.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    What colour is your urine? If it's straw coloured or pale yellow and you're urinating more than a couple of times a day, you are already consuming enough fluids to be fully hydrated. Google "urine colour chart" and you'll find lots of examples.

The research that the "eight glasses of water" thing was based on was never intended to be used as a blanket recommendation in this way. Besides, everything you eat includes a large quantity of water, even chicken which seems dry is 60% water. Soup is almost 100% water and of course tea and coffee count towards your water intake too.

The important thing is to match your fluid intake to your activity level and your climate. For some, the equivalent of eight glasses is nowhere near enough, for others if more than adequate.

If you want to consume more, but find it hard to drink for some reason try eating foods that are high in fluid, eg jelly (the dessert) and soup.