Low carbs

Options
Anadora92
Anadora92 Posts: 7 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi just wanting a bit more advice, I've started Personal Training (I'm not aiming to lose weight per se, but on a toning mission) so I do muscle toning exercises, running and hill walking. With the PT sessions I've been given a nutrition plan, but it seems to be so restrictive (no carbs, no dairy, no sugars, even natural sugars) with what seems like a diet that wouldn't make me full and just more inclined to pick at foods throughout the day. Is having filling carbs like rice, pasta, breads such a bad thing if your exericse is high and you moderate the amount through weighing out portions? I just don't think a salad with chicken would be enough to fill me up from lunch until the evening, even with a small snack in between.

Replies

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Your body will use the carbs first instead of pulling from your fat reserves. If you eat under 30 grams per day you will have a better shot of your body burning fat and building strength. That just means eat half a cup of rice pasta or potato's a day. Don't completely cut out carbs you will go into ketosis
  • katymartino
    katymartino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, Anna. I was put on a low carb by my doctor, because we were trying to figure out some stomach issues I was having. The first few days of low carb are difficult, but then your body adjusts. For someone like me, who we are pretty sure has a gluten intolerance, low carb is pretty awesome. I follow the plan that is higher in protein, lower in fat, and low in carbs. I get to eat a lot of veggies and lean meats, but I also get dairy. I realize low carb isn't for everyone, and it has a bad rep with a lot of people. Low carb is NOT no carb. The moral of the story is still calories in versus calories out, but the QUALITY of your food is just as important as your QUANTITY. Maybe more so.
  • Anadora92
    Anadora92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great thank you! I'll still include them but in smaller amounts like you said about the 1/2 cup pasta or rice and just let my body adjust. I tend to rarely eat over my daily calorie allowance so hopefully I don't have to be too restrictive :)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I wonder what credentials the personal trainer has to be giving out nutrional plans with that many restrictions.