Changing Eating Habits HELP

Options
I have been doing great with working out on a daily basis, however, I am struggling with changing my eating habits.

No matter how much I exercise, I struggle with weight gain because of my unhealthy eating habits. I am constantly going to the pantry to find a snack even when I am not hungry. Not to mention all of the chocolate sitting around my house for the holidays. This bad habit is not just mine, but also the rest of my family. My dad is very overweight and I have developed some of the same habits as him. I do not want to be his size when I am older.

I need some pointers to help my change my eating habits.
Carbohydrates and sugars are my biggest weaknesses. : [
Thanks guys!

Replies

• tinanicole
    Options
    I have been doing great with working out on a daily basis, however, I am struggling with changing my eating habits.

No matter how much I exercise, I struggle with weight gain because of my unhealthy eating habits. I am constantly going to the pantry to find a snack even when I am not hungry. Not to mention all of the chocolate sitting around my house for the holidays. This bad habit is not just mine, but also the rest of my family. My dad is very overweight and I have developed some of the same habits as him. I do not want to be his size when I am older.

I need some pointers to help my change my eating habits.
    Carbohydrates and sugars are my biggest weaknesses. : [
    Thanks guys!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    you must substitute your snacking foods with fresh fruits and veggies. I eat all day long, it is just carrot and celery sticks, apples, oranges, grapes, broc. Also when I crave carbs, i pop in a slice of whole wheat bread and put a little jam on it....takes care of the craving.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    The biggest eye opener for me was when I started paying attention to the serving size of snacky foods, and the calories per serving. A serving of potatoe chips for instance is like 14 chips, first of all who counts their chips (lol I do NOW) and secondly who stops at one "serving". So I started logging everything, all of the snackies and stuff and exactly how many calories it was. I was STUNNED!!! No wonder I've gained so much weight. Trust me, if you start logging your foods and calories, and see how many calories are in those snacks, and how long you'll have to workout just to burn it off, you may think twice. I'm an "everything is good in moderation" kind of gal. If I want a cookie, I'm going to eat it and realize the consequences before I eat it. The only thing that has changed is I record it, and I eat 1 or 2 instead of 10 or 12. Hope this helps for you!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Make small changes at first.

Drink more water or hot tea.
    Substitute low calorie snacks for high calorie snacks
    Do not keep snack foods in your house (no chips, crackers, cookies, etc)
    DO keep cut up veggies like carrots, celery, radishes, cherry tomato handy for when you feel snackish
    Subtitute mulit-grains and whole wheat for white rice, bread, pasta etc.

Then,
    plan all of your meals and snacks and record them the night before:
    Eat 6 times a day,(small meals and snacks) about every three hours.
    Eat very slowly and don't multitask while you're eating....actually concentrate on what you're eating

It sounds like you're problem is unconscious eating. If you plan out your meals and concentrate on what you're eating you can probably break the habit pretty quickly.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It's easier to not eat stuff that's not in front of your face. Try hiding snacks or even throw them away. (harder to do when you live with others who want to eat those things). Sometimes when I decide to make cookies or other snack food, I'll even take some to work so that I can have a little bit of a treat but don't have to eat a whole batch.
  • laine23
    Options
    yeahhh! I have that problem too. I love working out so once I hit the gym I give 110 pourcent and I love to eat healthy meals (most of the times).
    But I can't stop snacking late at night while watching a show or a movie. It sucks cuz I know it's what keeps me away from my goal!
    I used to be able to stop and think and say myself stuf like "it is not worth it" and "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" and it worked pretty good but u must have a good motivation and I don't have it right now so it doesn't work.
    I'm thinking for myself as I'm writing to you and maybe I need to have stronger goals and a better vision of my thin self.

oh and by the way I see on ur pics u do rugby! I was in the rugby team during my senior year (our team sucked but it was fun).