dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    and presumably real life as well.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

correcting spelling :)

• dcglobalgirl
    Options
    Thanks ejinvt! It's just when i see a group photo and there are all these nice normal sized people and then me, I feel enormous!
  • laylabronx
    laylabronx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes I can relate! My brother posted a photo and I just about fainted. Also agree we are much harder on ourselves.

Photos can be tricky in both ways depending on who takes them.
  • fieldsey2014
    fieldsey2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get a balance isn't it? I've read that you should stay positive,consider your positive attributes, as it is easier then to stay motivated. But then I feel like I am avoiding the truth. Yet if I take a really long hard look at myself I am so disgusted by what I see - it may motivate me initially but then I end up thinking, what is the point? That stomach is never going to truly shrink. I be a thin woman in a fat woman's skin.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I hear you, OP. I'm dreading a relative's graduation this week because I know they will want to take pics. Ugh. I've lost 26 lbs but still can't stand how huge I look in pics. And don't even get me started on my most recent trip to the mall....talk about a case of the sads :(
  • Patriots96
    Patriots96 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ditto! My hubby and sons are tiny which just makes me look that much bigger in photos. Hate even looking in the mirror at myself. Disappointed in myself for regaining the 30 pounds I lost when I was on MFP in 2013. Not sure if the picture attached here or not. I am on the left and my arm looks huge!
    b3ifogygoog9.jpg
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    and presumably real life as well.

That gave me a good laugh, thanks! I totally understand. Photos can be allies, though... when tempted I just have to look at a pic of me fishing for striper last year. It curbs the desire to eat an entire bag of Doritos lol

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I still hate pictures of myself that other people take but don't mind selfies because I have all the control. I don't see myself the way other people do and am really critical. At least I'm self aware and know I'm being an *kitten* hole to my self.
  • minkky
    minkky Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm with you op, I feel the same. My daughters college graduation was this weekend and I look like a giant. I'm 5'10" and she is 5'4". And really... It's my boobs. I swear in one picture it looks like they are trying to eat her.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I feel this too. And i'm at my original goal weight. I think that a solid 70% of this battle is purely inside our heads. Loving ourselves is more important than any of that other crap.
  • lisahenneberry83
    lisahenneberry83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! We are all much harder on ourselves...
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    minkky wrote: »
    And really... It's my boobs. I swear in one picture it looks like they are trying to eat her.

I'm sorry but that almost ended me, hahaha. I feel your big-boob pain though, I hated them perhaps most of all in photos, that and my excess chin and back fat.

I'm still shy of the camera but at least I'm finally starting to realise that I wasn't the size I was, so lately in photos I'm at least not entirely hiding behind other things. How I saw myself was a massive motivator, as it is with most of us I think.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have rules for taking pictures. I never sit down unless you can only see my top half. No full front pics, only side pics when I stand and I suck in my stomach until my back hurts or the pic is over!!!! LOL
  • ritodcin03
    ritodcin03 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! A horrendously bad picture is what made me come back to this site. It's really sad the power photos can have over us though. Last weekend, I threw my back out when I was home alone, and to amuse myself, I took a selfie while on the floor waiting for my husband to find me. The awkward overhead angle created the illusion that my waist was very small and the blessed power of gravity pulled most of my inner thighs out of view, giving the appearance that I have a super svelte body (I don't). It occured to me that this was the most flattering picture taken of me in years. I'm not gonna lie. I almost made it my Facebook profile picture.
  • dcglobalgirl
    Options
    wow, so nice to hear that I'm not the only one! I have a photo where I'm with my boss and my boss's boss. She and he are both tiny people and I absolutely look like a giant!
  • CurvyAsya88
    CurvyAsya88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I think we've all been there at some point. You've got to learn more about your body and try to find your most flattering angles. Take some time to look at yourself in the mirror and see what looks the best.
  • lottdana
    lottdana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! When I look at myself in the mirror I'm like "ok I look good today". Then someone takes a photo and I'm freaking huge! I can see my reflection in a window and all I see is fat! Not sure why our minds do this to us. I've lost almost 50 lbs and I still have 50 more to go. Just wish my mind would see me the same all the time!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie, this still even happens to me after all these years. I think pictures can be really deceiving sometimes so they make people odd sometimes. Some pictures look fine but others look strange. So I'm guessing this is just one of those things that might not ever change fully.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    ritodcin03 wrote: »
    I'm with you! A horrendously bad picture is what made me come back to this site. It's really sad the power photos can have over us though. Last weekend, I threw my back out when I was home alone, and to amuse myself, I took a selfie while on the floor waiting for my husband to find me. The awkward overhead angle created the illusion that my waist was very small and the blessed power of gravity pulled most of my inner thighs out of view, giving the appearance that I have a super svelte body (I don't). It occured to me that this was the most flattering picture taken of me in years. I'm not gonna lie. I almost made it my Facebook profile picture.

A picture brought me here, too. I went on vacation and my boyfriend took pictures of me. They were all awful! I kept thinking, "Boy, he cannot take pictures very well!" Then it dawned on me that he takes pictures just fine. It was me who was too big :(
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    and presubly real life as well.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

I have photos that were taken of me in the summers of 2012 and 2013. NOT good! I use them for inspiration each day of this journey. In fact, the biggest "atta girl" came from my husband who one day last week noticed that his office desk has NO recent pictures of me -- and that I now look quite different (down from 243-197)....I told him that we'll take some new pics this summer!