How do I stop?!!!

Options
HELP I am 57 years old, single and can't find the push to get going. I want to stop eating unhealthy but there is always snacks or goodies of some kind in the office. Can someone share tips on how to just say no to that brownie, cookie, piece of birthday cake, etc.???
I NEED HELP!!!!!

Replies

• kimberly2070
    kimberly2070 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've found that having a small supply of my own snacks like string cheese and some nuts helps me avoid the sweet stuff. And then I fantasize about dismembering the skinny 20 year old as she eats cheesecake. It gets me through.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Counting the calories and logging it all can be educational. The economics of a Costco muffin for instance, just isn't there. Why waste an entire day's calories on that? Have a stash of relatively healthy choices on hand so you don't get too hungry during the day. Gnaw on a carrot stick as you fantasize about dismembering the twiggy twenty year old as she devours cheesecake.
  • daniellejm893
    daniellejm893 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Honestly just start eating better one day at a time. Don't try to do it all at once and if you have a cookie that's cool just have control and don't have 5. I treat myself every now and then and eventually cravings go away. Especially when you start to see results. It gets easier but when you want/need to satisfy a sweet or salty craving pick something healthy but don't feel guilty when you don't. It happens to everyone. Take pictures daily/weekly and try it one step at a time. Good luck!!!
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Counting the calories and logging it all can be educational. The economics of a Costco muffin for instance, just isn't there. Why waste an entire day's calories on that? Have a stash of relatively healthy choices on hand so you don't get too hungry during the day. Gnaw on a carrot stick as you fantasize about dismembering the twiggy twenty year old as she devours cheesecake.

+1

Start by just logging what you eat--whatever it is. You will start to understand what the impact of your choices.
  • Jebber99
    Jebber99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Danielle said. Log everything you eat. Even if it is only a Hershey's kiss. You will learn which food is worth the calories. You will get to where you will not eat it because you don't want to log it. It actually becomes fun. Also....once you get away from the sugar you will stop craving it. I am a big sugar junkie. It's an addiction. I cut it out slowly and now only eat sugar rarely. Also become aware of when you are eating something just because it is there....not because you actually want it. At first it is hard to know the difference but you will soon begin to see the difference. It's like of like eating in a restaurant. There is always desert available but you don't always order it. When you really want it you do order it and enjoy it. Do the same thing with the goodies in the office. You can break the pattern. I promise.
  • cmecrawford
    cmecrawford Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and the tips. I know what I have to do, I just don't seem to have the willpower to do it. Maybe having others to talk to will help.