Those of you who have lived in more than one country, did it affect your weight?

Options

Replies

• Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I lived in La Gomera and lost tonnes of weight. I mainly attribute that to the diet - salad, fish and just amazing Mediterranean inspired food - despite being in the Atlantic Ocean! I still love the Spanish diet! I also attribute my weight loss to the heat - I just didn't want heavy carbohydrate laden food typical of the UK and Ireland. However weight loss generally is about eating less and exercising more!
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm very jealous of everyone who has had these wonderful opportunities to live all over the world! :smile:
    I've never lived in another country, only visited, but in both France & Portugal almost every person I saw was slim. My brother went to Scotland/Ireland for 3 weeks and said that he was literally the biggest person he saw there. (My brother is not fat... he might could lose a few pounds, but that's about it). Apparently they are mostly slim over there too!
  • librarianallyson
    librarianallyson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I moved to Germany from the US (Wisconsin) in January of this year, and gained about 10 pounds in the first two months. I am admittedly much more active here, just in order to get around sans-car, but I also eat a LOT more.

I can attribute a small portion of this simply to being surrounded by new, delicious foods: the bread! the pastries! But the biggest factor is hands down emotional: I moved without a strong support network here in Germany, and when I'm feeling lonely, homesick, or bored, I've been turning to food to comfort myself. I'm not sure why I've turned to food as a coping mechanism now, since I was never an emotional eater previously, but there you are.

I've been fighting these urges actively since April now, and I'm very slowly losing again. As I've been meeting more people and doing more social activities, I find it's easier to return to normal eating patterns, but I do still have an occasional binge where I feel out of control and eat waaaay past satiation.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Jmgkamp wrote: »
    My husband, from Europe, was and is amazed at the number of buffet/all u can eat places here. Amazed and horrified.

That's funny...I grew up in the US and have been to buffet/all-you-can-eat meals maybe 5 times in my entire life. All of these were at the urging of someone who was NOT from the US.

Maybe it is one of those things that people either tend to do a lot or not at all.

My family will do them when we have large gatherings of people -- like, 6+ people when visiting our grandparents, etc. It's a lot easier to get that many people to agree to, "Sure, let's do a buffet" versus one single restaurant.

But yeah, on my own? I think I've gone to all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets a few times, and that's it.

• agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Japan I was eating pretty much whatever I wanted but weighed less than I do here--and that has to do with the fact that I walked everywhere and everywhere I wasn't walking, I was biking. I was also teaching and running up and down three flights of stairs multiple times a day. Add to that the heat in the summer and I didn't even have to think about all the beer/food I was consuming.
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    ChipChocolatePancake Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I moved to Argentina and lost 30lbs in 5 months without even trying or thinking about it. I switched from a very high calorie, high fat, processed American diet to a minimally processed Argentine diet, and I went from driving a car everywhere to walking 10+ miles/day. It was awesome, and really gave me the framework I needed to continue to lose weight once I moved back to the U.S.
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I moved to Germany from the US (Wisconsin) in January of this year, and gained about 10 pounds in the first two months. I am admittedly much more active here, just in order to get around sans-car, but I also eat a LOT more.

I am from the UK (London), living in Germany for 5 months - I frickin' love the German's sheer dedication to bakery products. Bakeries on every corner. Fresh, cheap bread, every day.

London and Hamburg (where I am now) are both very walkable cities (especially Hamburg, and everyone also has a bicycle), so my activity and weight has stayed the same. I think I have swapped English pies and chips for German pastries, so they balance each other out. The big adjustment for me is how Germans tend to have their biggest meal at lunch, which is strange for me, as I like my dinners to be the size of spaceships.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »
    Jmgkamp wrote: »
    My husband, from Europe, was and is amazed at the number of buffet/all u can eat places here. Amazed and horrified.

That's funny...I grew up in the US and have been to buffet/all-you-can-eat meals maybe 5 times in my entire life. All of these were at the urging of someone who was NOT from the US.

Maybe it is one of those things that people either tend to do a lot or not at all.

My family will do them when we have large gatherings of people -- like, 6+ people when visiting our grandparents, etc. It's a lot easier to get that many people to agree to, "Sure, let's do a buffet" versus one single restaurant.

But yeah, on my own? I think I've gone to all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets a few times, and that's it.

Ah, maybe that is part of it. Three of my four grandparents were not born in the US--I have the family tradition of making Spanish or Argentinian food at home when there is a large group. My grandparents never took me to a buffet!

I think that it is a Basque thing especially--we love to hang out at home all day and do slow-food cooking. There also tends to be a focus on men doing the bulk of the cooking. It's strange--no matter where in the world you find Basques, they tend to be very assimilated, but the slow food/cooking-as-entertainment thing does not die, no matter how many generations removed people are, or how little they know about the rest of the culture.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I lived in three different countries so far. In the Netherlands, UK and NZ. All had their ways of staying fit easier or not.
    In the UK I found an awesome dance studio and that helped a great deal. Also as I had no car for most of the time, I had to do a lot of walking. The latter was not always a positive experience. Not always well lit and the sidewalks were not always in the best shape possible. Foodwise it was a lot harder to eat healthy and the lots of partying most certainly did not help the waistline in a positive way. After a year there I had gained weight.

In NZ - well that was up and down with my weight and that was also due to life circumstances that would have affected me irrespective of where I lived. The NZ culture is very outdoors, however the healthy food is way over the top expensive. Most certainly in the beginning when I did not earn a lot it meant not eating right. In the last years that I lived there I had an awesome sports centre (a gym, a pool and an aerobic studio I never used the gym :-) Auckland does have wonderful parks and a lot of green, however getting there was usually by car as the whole infrastructure is geared towards using cars, Even public transport was rough. The latter I must say has improved a lot since I left, at least in Auckland. When I lived out in the country for a year everything and I mean everything was done by car. I think I only walked to the shop once and it was a 15 minute walk only. Ubless you were in a village, walking on the side of the road was and is at your own peril.
    I also recall the first time I came to NZ that I was amazed and the huge humber of junkfood outlets. Somehow it seems less in the Netherlands (not sure if it is true)

Here in the Netherlands - well I walk and cycle where and when I can. Both are an accepted means of transportation. Parking in the city centres is expensive so often it is better to take public transport, unless it is easier for transporing whatever you want to buy - which means having to walk to the bus/train/tram station.
    I find the food here and specifically the fresh food reasonably priced, and can also be bought at the farms often.
    I don't pay much more for my food than in NZ and the wages here are a lot higher. Also our tapwater (one of the bottled water brands uses the same well as the tapwater company, just 10 m down the road) is of excellent quality so I drink that a lot, but I also did that in NZ I should add. In the UK it is often treated and teastes often horrible IMO
    Of all the countries I think my current home the Netherlands is easiest for this lifestyle and that has a lot to do with the transport infrastructure
  • ninasteele
    ninasteele Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have experienced that from living in 2 different states. I'm originally from Florida and when I moved out here to California, I found it much easier to exercise (great weather) and eat healthier.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    When I lived in France I lost a bunch of weight because all their food is frickin horrible.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had a pool in Australia and had to walk the kids to school. Iti was easy to stay trim. Now I am in the suburbs and it's a battle.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from Australia but now live in the UK. I have lost weight successfully in both countries now >:) so I can't really say that one is better than the other.

In Australia, I found there was a big cafe culture in cities like Sydney and Melbourne. You end up drinking a LOT of coffee and while there is often good food to be had, it can be very high in calories. There is low fat alternatives of almost everything in the supermarket. It is really easy to be active in Australia as there are lots of nice places to walk and swim.

Here in the UK I found there is more of a focus on having organic alternatives rather than low fat/low calorie. I found that some people in the UK almost exclusively eat frozen processed food which I found very strange. Apparently it comes from the 70s when it became "fashionable" to eat food that "saved time". Not sure if that is true or not though! I find fresh food more expensive here than I remember it being in Australia.
    In the UK I found it harder to be active (especially in Winter) but once I found different activities, I made sure I took advantage of them. The weather isn't always wonderful so for me a gym membership was critical to my success.

At the end of the day, you gravitate towards foods and activities that give you what you want - whether that be comfort, weight loss or whatever. It takes time to adjust to the differences though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 pounds when I moved to the US in about 5 years. But I went from living and working in the city to living in a small neighborhood in the suburbs with no job and no car.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I was a bit tubby until I moved to Canada aged 35, and then piled the weight on within 2 years.
    Same reasons everyone else is mentioning - poor food choices and lack of exercise. In the UK I had a 3 story house with the kitchen on the lowest floor. I was always running up and down the stairs, often with a baby on each arm. I also walked everywhere with a double stroller because even though we had a car, parking was a nightmare and not worth the hassle.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You gain weight from eating too much. Doesn't matter where you eat it.

+1

I lived in the U.S. for 32 years and was fat.
    I lived in Canada for 13 years and was fat.

Losing weight is a mental change. Where I live has very little impact.

Yeah but those two countries are functionally the same, in terms of the impact of city design and food quality/quantity (lifestyle generally).
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    When I lived in France I lost a bunch of weight because all their food is frickin horrible.

You have to be joking
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've not had a single takeaway since I moved to my current place because I no longer drive past any shops on my commute.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You gain weight from eating too much. Doesn't matter where you eat it.

+1

I lived in the U.S. for 32 years and was fat.
    I lived in Canada for 13 years and was fat.

Losing weight is a mental change. Where I live has very little impact.

Yeah but those two countries are functionally the same, in terms of the impact of city design and food quality/quantity (lifestyle generally).
    Taking the overall country into a ball of generalization, yes they're the same, but that doesn't change that I stayed fat because I ate too much. Just because I never left the continent (technically) doesn't mean my experience is moot.

I grew up in Iowa where you can get food out your backdoor, even in a city. In Newfoundland, a lot of food is shipped from the mainland via overnight ferry (provided it's in service); there aren't any farms (that I've seen) and no food production facilities despite living in the capital.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    I'm from Canada (Ontario) and live in the UK. I find that a lot of the healthier options that are reasonably priced here are more expensive in Canada. Then again, last time I was back, I was shocked at how much grocery prices had gone up in general.

Yes ... we went back to Canada last August, and I was really surprised at the prices. I don't remember them being so high before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are a few things which Canada has that I wish Australia would get:

-- Crystal Light or Nestea liquid drops ... I found those in Canada last time I was there. They come in a variety of flavours, with no calories, and you drip them into your water.

-- Source brand lemon meringue yogurt ... so yummy, very few calories.

And when I used to live there, I seem to recall you could get low-cal muffin mixes, cake mixes, and things like that. I don't know if they are still available, but I do recall using them once in a while. Here, the muffin and cake mixes are all regular or gluten free ... but neither is low cal. It has forced me to start experimenting with my own recipes.