Is yours open or closed??....and why?

Options
I see a lot of people on MFP have their diaries set to private yet they are seeking nutritional advice. I keep mine open to all my friends. Most of my friends have theirs open as well... I don't see why anyone would hide their diary unless maybe they were eating unhealthy things. Or maybe they simply don't want people commenting on everything they eat?

What do you think? Open diary or closed?

Replies

• ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I say open diary!! mine is always open :wink: I would like to see what others are like to look for diet tips
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Open - it holds me more accountable, and I'm open to advice - someone else might notice something with my eating habits that I don't. Even if I have a bad day, I log it, and leave it open - I'm human!
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    how do you know if its opened or closed?
  • uglierthanyou123
    Options
    dejavu
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends only.
    Not sure I want everyone ogling everything I put in my mouth, but if I have built some sort of relationship with someone here on the site, I don't mind sharing ...
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I want people to comment and give advice.
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    Mine is open - not to everyone, but to my friends. However I haven't always had it open.

I've seen some really critical comments on peoples food diaries when they weren't asking for help (commenting on the post that says so-and-so completed their diary).

Now, if I ask for help then I am happy to hear all the things people have to say - good AND bad - but if I don't ask for help I don't expect to be criticised! I am, after all, doing this for me, not for anyone else!
  • kaitlynsmom
    kaitlynsmom Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends only. I don't see any reason to hide what I eat.
  • dian1227
    dian1227 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    For some part of the emotional eating problem is hiding what they are eating...I think, as long as you are honest with your logging, keeping the diary open is important. I want comments on what I am eating good and bad...Accountability is great and has helped me succeed.
  • veganhoneys
    veganhoneys Posts: 34
    Options
    I keep mine open, although I'm bad about logging regularly which I know defeats the purpose. I do it so people who ask "what do vegans eat?" or "How can you survive that way?" can see that I eat pretty normal stuff and it's healthy and meets my needs. Plus keeping it open keeps you accountable.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    dejavu
    My thoughts exactly! Are we going through this topic all over again? :frown: The Search feature is a wonderful tool and has so much in it that has already been covered extensively. I wish more ppl would check it out instead of assuming everyone has some type of agenda, it's right there above the message board!:indifferent:
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. If I'm going to post something or blog about something dealing with nutrition or eating habits then whoever reads it should be able to call me out if I'm a hypocrite. Plus I like when others keep them open so I can get ideas from them on meals and snacks because I'm not very creative with that. And it makes me more accountable for what I'm putting in my mouth. I think "do I want people to see this?" and it usually changes my choice.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Didn't I already post to this thread this afternoon?
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Open to all.
  • sheffiej34
    sheffiej34 Posts: 91
    Options
    Never really thought about it I guess. I'm new to the whole blogging thing. Don't even have a FaceBook account. LOL I don't have a lot of time to spend on the computer. Guess I don't want others to see the mundane side of me. Open is good.
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    Mine is open - but the default setting is closed. I don't think many people know that they CAN open their diary to viewing, or may assume that it already is.