Help! Protein Shakes UK not shipped from US. Best brand and

Options
I've looked at the advise on the message boards here about protein shakes for women. All the brands discussed have sounded good but when i've looked to buy they all need to be shipped from the US. What is the best brand to buy here in the UK and where is the best place to get it? This is protein shakes for women to promote weight loss and toning. Not for bulking out. Hope someone can help.

Replies

• wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    amazon.co.uk sell maximuscle protein powder
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Does protein powder any real benefit for weight loss and "toning" muscles? Genuine question, I'm in the UK and have idly wondered about brands for when I have lost my excess fat and can start focussing on building muscle.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Wow.. The recommended amount of 100g a day at £30.99 for 700g is £135 a month.

No chance.
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I order mine online from UK sites but having tried a bunch of different ones, this is my favorite:

http://www.powerbody.co.uk/product-bsn_lean_dessert_protein_chocolate_fudge_pudding_630g,654.html

It's the only one that doesn't have a funky texture/aftertaste- not tried the other flavours but have heard that they are all good. Spirutein is okay for baking and stuff but I wanted whey powder for main usage (whey doesn't work well in baking but it's good in porridge/oats- stir in after cooking)
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

No chance.

No recommended serving size is 50g so there are 14 servings. You can get it cheaper if you shop around...
  • racmac
    racmac Posts: 81
    Options
    These aer great - excellent and quick delivery - i use them regularly - use my referrer code and we both get discount
    MP134956
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/
  • TourThePast
    Options
    I order mine online from UK sites but having tried a bunch of different ones, this is my favorite:

http://www.powerbody.co.uk/product-bsn_lean_dessert_protein_chocolate_fudge_pudding_630g,654.html
    That's still £85 a month for their recommended amounts, I'm totally shocked at how expensive all these products are. :frown:
  • TourThePast
    Options

No chance.

No recommended serving size is 50g so there are 14 servings. You can get it cheaper if you shop around...
    From your link: "For the best results take 2 servings a day." which means one £30.99 tub will last one week. Even if cheaper shopping around, I cannot justify spending that much money on a dietary supplement.

Useful information for those who can afford it though. :)
  • ellenangel
    Options

That's still £85 a month for their recommended amounts, I'm totally shocked at how expensive all these products are. :frown:

you don't need to rely on it as a protein source- I use it as "top ups" and definitely not an everyday thing. My go-to was using 1/2 serving stirred into oats, topped with Quark (fat free- like greek yogurt but thicker...80 cals + 15g protein- find it by the cream cheese/cottage cheese in all UK supermarkets for less than 40p per serving) so between the two (1/2 serving powder + 1/2 tub Quark), 25g protein for a reasonable cost- and w/ 28g oats, less than 250 cals which made a great breakfast! :smile:
  • TourThePast
    Options
    My go-to was using 1/2 serving stirred into oats, topped with Quark (fat free- like greek yogurt but thicker...80 cals + 15g protein- find it by the cream cheese/cottage cheese in all UK supermarkets for less than 40p per serving) so between the two (1/2 serving powder + 1/2 tub Quark), 25g protein for a reasonable cost- and w/ 28g oats, less than 250 cals which made a great breakfast! :smile:
    Sounds good, sorry to the OP for going off topic, but how did you cook the oats?
  • ellenangel
    Options
    My go-to was using 1/2 serving stirred into oats, topped with Quark (fat free- like greek yogurt but thicker...80 cals + 15g protein- find it by the cream cheese/cottage cheese in all UK supermarkets for less than 40p per serving) so between the two (1/2 serving powder + 1/2 tub Quark), 25g protein for a reasonable cost- and w/ 28g oats, less than 250 cals which made a great breakfast! :smile:
    Sounds good, sorry to the OP for going off topic, but how did you cook the oats?

Just in the microwave- put oats, pinch of salt and some vanilla + sweetener in a bowl, add 1 cup water and microwave for 2 mins or so- I like them thick but the addition of protein powder sucks up any extra water so you might need to add more. If I am using vanilla powder, will often add cinnamon too. Blueberries, banana, pumpkin, etc are all great additions! Then swirl in the Quark and enjoy :happy: