Pre-Diabetics/Diabetics and Low Carb

Options
Just reaching out for more friends who are Pre-Diabetic/Diabetic, and who follow a low carb way of eating. Especially if your diary is open to friends, I could use some motivation and support. I am Pre-Diabetic (A1C 6.2%), so I can't just eat whatever, and make room in my calories for it. I miss sweets, but I really want to keep my feet. I'm starting Metformin tomorrow, and I'm going to continue eating low carb, exercising, and losing weight. I'm down 35 pounds since February, with 45 more to go.
Any advice? Friend requests? Looking forward to hearing it all

Replies

• mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm Type II (Reversed). Just wondering if you've gone to a Dietitian (CDE)? That helped me the most in the beginning and also just getting around and moving. I started off doing walking and it helped improved my numbers dramatically.
  • dorisccollier
    dorisccollier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you given thought to giving up ALL GRAINS? Read the Wheat Belly book. The doctor is Dr Davis. There is also a Facebook page with so much good info. Pro and pre biotics will also regulate your blood sugar. You are on the right track. You won't need metformin for very long!
  • cmabnx
    cmabnx Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    ^ what mmd575 said.
    i was diagnosed with type2 last august. i worked my *kitten* off with diet and exercise and am no longer diabetic (as of early March). i do NOT eat low carb, however. well, not really. i just eat as clean and unprocessed as possible and very few sugary items. i exercise 6-7 times a week, 30-60 minutes a day. it's just a part of my every day now. you can friend me if you want. good luck. you CAN do this!!
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't know what my levels tested at, just know they were elevated and my primary care told me I was prediabetic and on a path straight to Type II. It took me a few weeks to process but then I decided I have enough health issues brought on by being overweight and didn't want to be faced with more. So, about three weeks ago, my first step was to quit drinking soda cold turkey. I think eventually I will indulge every now and then, but frankly, I was addicted to both the caffeine and the sugar in them and I can honestly say I feel better and my skin looks better without them. Once I got over the caffeine headaches (about 3.5 days) I moved on to dropping as much processed foods and refined sugary foods out as possible. Again, I am taking the attitude that I am not giving them up, just reducing the amount and frequency of when I eat them. I haven't gone so far as to committing to any sort of exercise regimen just yet. I figure I need to conquer each mountain and get it under control before I add another mountain. If I feel like taking the dog for a walk, I do. If I feel like pulling up a youtube video and doing some instructor led dance videos, I do. But I have not committed myself to feeling like I have to do that every day. I'm not sure why, but this time feels different than every other time I have ever actively tried to lose weight. It seems easier for some reason Maybe it is because I am not looking at it as a diet. Maybe it is because I finally got frustrated and scared enough at what was ahead if I didn't make changes. I'm not naive enough to believe it will be smooth sailing forever. We like to entertain a lot during the summer and we host a football tailgate in the fall. I'm hopeful, though, that I can continue to consciously make good decisions by eating healthy food most of the time and limiting the stuff that is less healthy.
  • miche173
    miche173 Posts: 50 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks, all! It is overwhelming and scary to be here, and to feel like I've so messed up my body. I haven't been referred to a a CDE, but I'm doing a very low carb way of eating now, and plan to stick with it. I'm having vegetables, but no grains, sweets or fruits, except for one day a week, when I loosen a bit on my macros, but still stay under on calories. I need to add exercise. I am moving more, trying to do more steps and walking at least 10 flights of stairs daily. I know this is for the long haul, I just feel ashamed that I let it get this far....
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I was borderline diabetic at one point--my A1C is generally around 5.0 now. Feel free to look at my diary.

I am generally around 100G carbs/day, so more moderate than low.