What's with Matcha?

Options
debants
debants Posts: 38 Member
Has anyone tried this tea? Whether it's the ceremonial or the culinary blend. I love all green teas but have never tried it - thought I might be able to add to my protein shakes. Its not cheap so before I indulge any feedback would be grand.

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I like it but beware it has a strong flavor.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    When I was in college my then boyfriend took a sushi making class at the Culinary, and came home with matcha powder complete with bamboo whisk, so it was probably decent stuff. I remember we would have to make it iced with cranberry juice cause if we drank it straight up we'd be bouncing off the walls.
    I've actually wanted to try it again myself. Mostly so I can make green tea ice cream. Mmm.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    All I know about it is it's trendy right now.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I went to a traditional Japanese tea ceremony a year ago last spring, and we were served a little matcha green tea. It's pretty solid looking green stuff.

You might look at tea as being an early trendy herbal medicine.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I drink it because I like that strong grassy taste, especially in my morning smoothies. It is supposed to be better for you because matcha is the actual tea leaves ground into a fine powder. Instead of just steeping the benefits out of the leaves (regular green tea) you are actually ingesting the leaves themselves and receiving all their benefits at 100%
  • scr183
    scr183 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It does have a strong flavor, but I love it. Quality definitely makes a difference. I think it'd be delicious in a vanilla protein shake... and am now tempted to try that myself. :) I frequently blend cold coffee into my shakes if I'm having one in the morning, but this could be a nice change!
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I am going to look it up.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I have an almost full tin sat in my cupboard, VILE!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I love matcha powder! A little goes a long way. I mix it with sugar and milk powder to make a nice green tea latte. Also put it in a chocolate chip cookie dough recipe...so yummy and worth the price.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    @Janjunie your post made me crave a green tea latte and I cracked and bought a bag of this Two Hills Organics Everyday Matcha. Keep in mind I've never tried this brand before. I looked on Amazon first and was way too overwhelmed. So I did a little internet searching and came across this Canadian company. They have been in business since 1998 & their products bear both the Canadian & USDA Organic seal at a relatively fair price/oz. So we'll see how it is.

Now the biggest decision is should I make my latte with the Vanilla Almond Coconut or the Hint of Honey Almond Breeze...?
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Loveeeee matcha! You only need about a teaspoon AT MOST.