Bottled water in cars

Options
alison2429
alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
Has anyone else heard that keeping a plastic bottle of water in your car is dangerous. I heard that if it is kept in the car then the Dioxins from the plastic leak into the water and are a major cause of breast cancer.
Does anyone else know about this?
Apparently glass and stainless steel flasks are o.k.
Discuss!!

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Yes I've heard this. I live where it's really HOT in the summer, so two years ago I switched to a metal bottle. Now if I drink out of plastic you can taste a difference. I figure that why fight it. It's an easy fix.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    I thinks it nonsense, unless you leave it in the car for months on end, in bright sunlight, so the plastic begins to break down. Think how long the water would be in the bottle if it was at the back of the shelf in the supermarket!! My guess is it will be a lot longer than it will if you left it in the car!

That aside, im a truck driver and always have a bottle of water in the truck, one small one for drinking, and one 5 litre bottle for cooking, coffee etc Sometimes the water is in the bottle for a week!!
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    Has anyone else heard that keeping a plastic bottle of water in your car is dangerous. I heard that if it is kept in the car then the Dioxins from the plastic leak into the water and are a major cause of breast cancer.
    Does anyone else know about this?
    Apparently glass and stainless steel flasks are o.k.
    Discuss!!

Oh yes.....we discussed this in my Health class this semester. It def causes cancer. It was funny because my professor was saying she used to leave her water case in the car because she would forget. Then she said she would put it in the frig right away so it would get the dioxins in the water and then she thought d*mn....the water sits in trucks in the hot sun. So she stopped altogether. But anything plastic really. We use a plastic covering in the microwave to cover our food.....that has the same result.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I too have heard this and would be interested to see links to studies about this and to know which types of plastic this may apply to.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    I found this interesting

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-01-29-plastic-chemical_N.htm

http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/articles/halden_dioxins2.html

Yes i am putting up two different articles that say two different things. Cant be biased here peeps!

We also discussed this in health class. Tap water is actually better because city water...you better believe tap water has more regulations then bottled water. Does bottled water really have any? This Q&A came from the second article i posted. Its interesting!

Question: So it’s okay for people to drink out of plastic water bottles?

Answer: First, people should be more concerned about the quality of the water they are drinking rather than the container it’s coming from. Many people do not feel comfortable drinking tap water, so they buy bottled water instead. The truth is that city water is much more highly regulated and monitored for quality. Bottled water is not. It can legally contain many things we would not tolerate in municipal drinking water.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yep. Watched the movie Tapped. They do tests on water that's been left in a car for a week & find all sorts of chemicals in it that have leached out of plastic. Hence, why I avoid plastic as much as possible. Better for me; better for the environment. :happy:
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    It might be true, but in any case, the thing to do is drink the water, not let it sit in the bottle.

i imagine the biggest problem is the bacteria transferred from you mouth to the bottle each time you take a drink - unless you pour it into a cup or something.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I've seen the reports of this however much of it is also out of context.

Yes, there are incidences where particles in the bottles can break down over time and enter into the liquid in the bottle, but it's the concentration that make the difference.

I can't recall the exact number, but you would have to be injesting something like 12,000 litres a day to be anywhere near the range of being at risk of some kind of toxicity levels for the by products.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I found this interesting

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-01-29-plastic-chemical_N.htm

http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/articles/halden_dioxins2.html

Yes i am putting up two different articles that say two different things. Cant be biased here peeps!

We also discussed this in health class. Tap water is actually better because city water...you better believe tap water has more regulations then bottled water. Does bottled water really have any? This Q&A came from the second article i posted. Its interesting!

Question: So it’s okay for people to drink out of plastic water bottles?

Answer: First, people should be more concerned about the quality of the water they are drinking rather than the container it’s coming from. Many people do not feel comfortable drinking tap water, so they buy bottled water instead. The truth is that city water is much more highly regulated and monitored for quality. Bottled water is not. It can legally contain many things we would not tolerate in municipal drinking water.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post this. Very interesting.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    [/quote]
    We use a plastic covering in the microwave to cover our food.....that has the same result.
    [/quote]

I am never without my Nalgene bottle. (Plus it has the ounces marked right on it, so I always know for sure how much water I have had in a day.) I could definitely taste the difference if I used a plastic water bottle. My son was famous for leaving half consumed bottles of Vitamin Water, etc. in his car. I would ALWAYS go in there and throw them away on him. I got him 2 new Nalgene bottles for him to use instead. They are guaranteed for life not to break, but one of mine did and they replaced it immediately. Well worth the money to re-use, reduce, and recycle.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    We use a plastic covering in the microwave to cover our food.....that has the same result.
    [/quote]

I am never without my Nalgene bottle. (Plus it has the ounces marked right on it, so I always know for sure how much water I have had in a day.) I could definitely taste the difference if I used a plastic water bottle. My son was famous for leaving half consumed bottles of Vitamin Water, etc. in his car. I would ALWAYS go in there and throw them away on him. I got him 2 new Nalgene bottles for him to use instead. They are guaranteed for life not to break, but one of mine did and they replaced it immediately. Well worth the money to re-use, reduce, and recycle.
    [/quote]
  • JenInAustin
    JenInAustin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've read and heard enough reports from credible researchers over the past 5 years to strongly believe that plastic is not as safe as once thought. The thing with plastic bottles in cars though seems silly - those bottles have already been in hot trucks, hot warehouses, etc. long before they get into our hands. Toxins would already be in the water whether or not they are then left in cars.

What concerns me more is, having worked in food service, I know how much food arrives pre-prepared in plastic bags and containers that are put into micowaves and warmed up.

In other words, it's been hard for me to escape it fully but it has been a good impetus for me to make more of my own meals and eat at local (non-chain) restaurants that do a lot of local sourcing.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

I'm pissed because of the whole Non-rapture thing, I still wanna panic. So...smiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gif
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options

I'm pissed because of the whole Non-rapture thing, I still wanna panic. So...smiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gif
    How do you know for sure there wasn't one? Maybe us fun ppl are left?:tongue: