Any idea what im doing wrong?

Options
I started losing weight three years ago it was hard but I managed to lose two hundred and twenty pounds but in the last year my Dr. Put me on some medication that caused me to gain fourty pounds Im no longer taking that medicine but some others that make losing difficult. I want to lose 40lbs I start my day with a 7mile walk takes about 1hour 20mins. Then I eat some fruit for lunch I have some form of protein with veggies or a Carb. And for dinner I usually have chicken and broccilli or Brussels sprouts and a carb. I keep my calories at around 1200 and every other day I add 40 mind on elliptical also use bowflex every three days. According to my Dr. I'm doing everything right but I have been at it for three month and have lost no weight. Any advice??? Thanks for taking time to read my post.

Replies

• kchartinc
    kchartinc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
    How much do you weigh
    What's your height
    Do you weigh out ALL your food?
    Do you track your calories?
    Why are your calories so low (unless you reply to the height question as like 4'9)

No-one can answer your question without the previous things being answered
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    One of two things are happening. Either you are having cheat days and eating more than you report/track/getting frustrated having off days and not factoring them in (because you are not eating enough and setting yourself up for failure) OR you are really not eating enough and the medication is also affecting your metabolism. Measure your food, set your calories according to the program and track everything. Eat back SOME exercise calories (I never eat back more than 300). You did not specify what you are eating for calories a day and how successful you have been, so it is hard to give more advice than that.
  • Amber_hanson27
    Amber_hanson27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    No food scale=No idea how many calories you are eating
    It felt silly for me at first but I tell you what 44 pounds later I'm glad I started doing it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    are you usinga food scale op?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    are you usinga food scale op?

Next question in line is this????
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    220 lbs. is a HUGE loss - congratulations! And yes, we need more info as requested above. Also, are the medications you are currently on for conditions that effect weight loss? No need to elaborate on medical conditions if you don't want to. Just that more information would help provide better answers.
  • Bigred2000
    Bigred2000 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do eat a very small amount of calories but this is what my Dr. Has told me to do I use a food scale and measuring cups for everything when I was eating 1800 calories a day with my exercise I was gaining. With what I'm eating now and my exercise my weight has stabilized. But the Dr suggested lowering calories. Which is exteremly hard. My weight is 240lbs and I'm 5'7 I'm starting to think it's a losing battle I'm on certain medicines for MS that cause weight gain.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    kchartinc wrote: »
    You need to eat more.

Actually the answer is most likely that she needs to eat less.

OP, skip the measuring cups other than liquids and weigh everything.
  • JamesSmedley
    JamesSmedley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bigred2000 wrote: »
    I do eat a very small amount of calories but this is what my Dr. Has told me to do I use a food scale and measuring cups for everything when I was eating 1800 calories a day with my exercise I was gaining. With what I'm eating now and my exercise my weight has stabilized. But the Dr suggested lowering calories. Which is exteremly hard. My weight is 240lbs and I'm 5'7 I'm starting to think it's a losing battle I'm on certain medicines for MS that cause weight gain.

Good to hear that you've started finding your balance of intake. Trust me its not a losing battle, it simply comes to the fact that you may be consuming too much. I would raise the question of do you drink hot drinks with milk and sugar and also any soda's? This is something that many people slip up on. Also do snack/weigh food and read the nutrition on the back? I know you feel bad about gaining weight but you have lost it before so you know (although it takes effort, as you know) you can do it again. Also do you ever binge or have cheat meals?
  • Bigred2000
    Options
    I don't drink any calories. Only water, crystal light. Once in a great while I have a frappicino but that's rare. I'm going to take your guys advice try to up my calories. My Dr. Wanted me at under 800 but I'm going to shoot for 1200 for a few weeks see if it makes any difference. Thank you all for the help.
  • obpyum
    obpyum Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights also helps you burn more calories after your workout. Add some hand weights to your walk and do a couple pushups a day!
  • Bigred2000
    Options
    You guys are awesome. I increased my calories a little and I know it's just a few ounces but since my scale has been stubbornly set at 240 it's encouraging. Lost 4ounces in a day thanks for your advice