Crock pot meals

Options
Pammalla
Pammalla Posts: 71 Member
I cook a lot of dinners in the crock pot because I work and then my kids do a lot of evening activtiys it's easy to have dinner ready so we can eat and then we are off. How do I weigh meats that have already been cooked. Should I weigh out a 3 oz portion and count it as a 4 oz one?

Replies

• coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Search for cooked entries
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    whenever I put a recipe into MFP, I put in what I used- so mostly the raw weights. the few times i don't is for soups where I add in already cooked/shredded chicken breast, Then I use cooked weights. Same for chili- I add in cooked weights of lean ground beef or turkey. but for casseroles, it's mainly raw weights that I use.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I would just weigh all the ingredients before you put them in the crock pot and create a recipe. That way you use the raw weights (which are more accurate) and don't have to guess at everything else.
  • faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I enter it as a recipe in MFP, including the serving size, adjusting the recipe each time I cook with the appropriate weight for the protein. Then I weigh it out (either weigh the crock before or put it in a serving bowl on the scale) and take 1 portion. So if the chili made 32 oz and you're meant to get 10 servings out of it, I'll take 3.2 oz as my serving.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    faegirl22 wrote: »
    I enter it as a recipe in MFP, including the serving size, adjusting the recipe each time I cook with the appropriate weight for the protein. Then I weigh it out (either weigh the crock before or put it in a serving bowl on the scale) and take 1 portion. So if the chili made 32 oz and you're meant to get 10 servings out of it, I'll take 3.2 oz as my serving.

How big of a scale do you have? I ask because my kitchen scale only weighs up to 4 pounds. I usually cook in a very large crock pot and I think the ceramic bowl easily tops 5-7 pounds without food.
  • Pammalla
    Options
    Mine will weigh up to 30 lbs but it's a large scale I bought for soap makeing
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    nice, i was looking on amazon today and they have some relatively cheap large scales. Their accuracy isn't great but if you are weighing that much food it probably doesn't matter too much
  • Pammalla
    Options
    I haven't used the resipie thing yet. I need to, it will same time interning everything separate I've been trying to really up my water intake but I can't just pee whenever I want at work so it's becoming a problem havering to go every 30 min
  • myepi
    myepi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh my meats before everything goes in the pot. Since I trim all the fat and don't add additional oils, I measure my my portion os 4os. of meat and then vegetables and stock in cups. I'm OK with eyeballing the veggies, have great success with weight loss.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I would just weigh all the ingredients before you put them in the crock pot and create a recipe. That way you use the raw weights (which are more accurate) and don't have to guess at everything else.

This. Build yourself your own recipe on here. Weigh each item before you put them in, then log them all into the recipe. So then it'll be there for next time too.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to find some recipes here.