lower back pain with deadlifts and ab work

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    I do it at home. I have the pump program. No trainer.
    Then I' going to assume that your form is bad. It's one thing to watch a video. It's another to actually do the exercise with the correct form.
    Post a video.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    backlash79 wrote: »
    Eric Cressey has a good deadlift tutorial, are you doing dumbbell deadlifts?

At the top try to lock out with thrusting your house and squeezing your flutes.

Barbell.

Thrusting my house and squeezingy flutes? Lol

I think autocorrect got them. I believe they were trying to say "thrusting your hips and squeezing your glutes."
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have torn ligaments in my low back and deadlifts do not hurt me. In fact I lurrrve them and want to have a million of their babies.

All the leg lifting type of floor ab work though? Makes me cry. One thing to try if you're hurting from like scissors or leg lifts or those kind of moves is to keep your legs up higher, like start with 90 degrees and lower them just until you feel your back - then move them back up and as soon as you don't feel it anymore that's where you should do the exercise. Also watch your breathing - if you clench up then your back gets more involved in the move but if you keep steady breathing it should help to make the abs work.

But most of all, yeah post your form and the good smart people here will help for sure :)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    OP, I suspect that your form is not on point.

This video really helped my form; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHiSvajoans&feature=youtu.be&t=19s

Try posting a video of your DL as well?
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Great video! Also notice how the lettering on his shirt is facing forward and his head/neck is aligned with his back?--Try lifting in front of a mirror to see if your chest is in the right position and then align your head/neck.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v160/babygrant/Mobile Uploads/VID_20150520_130712_zpsynlgufg5.mp4

Kind of embarassed cause I have such a long ways to go still :(

So with pump basically you start in set position and just lower to knees and back up. No lifting off the ground. I see I stick my *kitten* out quite a ways hmmmm.... Please be kind in your critique lol
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Do some stretching as well. sitting down, taking your foot and putting it over your other leg and keeping your back straight, lean forward. This will stretch out your hip flexors which in kind will help your lower back. Also you can get a lacrosse ball and place it under your bum as in the Limber 11 video(search on youtube). Hyperextensions if you can do them at home will also assist in strengthening your lower back muscles to match your increased leg/glute strength gains.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    For an ADL try skimming the bar against your thighs. Squeeze your glutes so that your hips thrust a bit forward at the rise. Don't look in the mirror--align your neck with your back but keep your chest facing the mirror.
  • bohemonds
    bohemonds Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also, keep your head neutral as you lift. Make sure you keep it in a plane with your back. Don't let your head drift up and back before your back does. That will throw your spine out of alignment, which could produce stress on your lower back.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    IsaakGMOON - thx for that video! I feel like now I fully understand how to do a deadlift correctly. I'm going to practice tonight.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    IsaakGMOON - thx for that video! I feel like now I fully understand how to do a deadlift correctly. I'm going to practice tonight.

Video was a god send.

Personally, I found that it was the only deadlift video which actually helped me.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    OP, I suspect that your form is not on point.

This video really helped my form; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHiSvajoans&feature=youtu.be&t=19s

Try posting a video of your DL as well?

Thanks for sharing this! I definitely see where my form needs work.
  • SonicKrunch
    Options
    Alan Thrall is the best, subscribe he's got some funny but greatly informative videos.
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Is the facial hair mandatory?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Alan Thrall is the best, subscribe he's got some funny but greatly informative videos.

Never seen him before, but does he teach you have to grow an awesome beard like that?
  • SonicKrunch
    Options
    No :(
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v160/babygrant/Mobile Uploads/VID_20150520_130712_zpsynlgufg5.mp4

Kind of embarassed cause I have such a long ways to go still :(

So with pump basically you start in set position and just lower to knees and back up. No lifting off the ground. I see I stick my *kitten* out quite a ways hmmmm.... Please be kind in your critique lol
    I couldn't access it. Is there a program I need?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    It looks like a Romanian deadlift (rdl) where the starting point is at the top and you lower the weights but don't set on the ground, then bring it back up.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    It looks like a Romanian deadlift (rdl) where the starting point is at the top and you lower the weights but don't set on the ground, then bring it back up.

Oh OK. On the DVD it just says deadlift.