Not quite new but close enough

Options
I joined this site several years ago but stopped for various reasons. I have decided to try this again using a new account. Mostly because of recent events I've gained more fat. I will be having surgery on my ankle May 29th. Absolutely no weight bearing for at least 8 weeks. After that I'm sure it will be a physical therapy thing until I'm back to as good as it's going to get.

The main focus during this is going to be diet. I do have some adjustable hand weights that I will try out when I know what I'm actually going to be able to tolerate while I'm laid up. I don't know what to even begin to think of doing regarding cardio. I will have a knee cart but I have limited space so I do not think that will work well. So the basics will be a complete change of eating habits and weight lifting when I'm able to start that. If anyone has any other ideas I'm willing to "listen". Thanks, Jennifer

Replies

• hlhutch91
    hlhutch91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Jennifer, good luck with the surgery! I broke an ankle in three places 2 years ago & it is no picnic! The good news is that you will get through this. It just takes time.
    Try to take advantage of the great fruits & veggies that are or soon will be available. Once you feel up to it I would do some small weights. I was non-weight baring for 3 months. Just do what PT says & don't get discouraged.
    I broke mine during a fall on January 3rd so no time to plan ahead. & I was 52!!! Not a smart thing to do at any age, but just try to keep active & weights should do you some good!
    Lori
  • jaeemtea3
    jaeemtea3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply and for the well wishes. I'm dealing with injuries from when I was in the military a little over 20yrs ago. This final flare-up started in January. Finally got to see a podiatrist and learned that 1. my ankle is not stable (I've been told it was all these years) and 2. the break/chip in the ankle stems from one of several sprains and has never healed in this 20+ year time span. I know I'll be painful and I'm prepared a bit for that (since I'm living in pain now). I am looking forward to that pain eventually going away and my ankle being more stable than what it is now. My goal for the surgery and then me following the doctor's advice for healing is to be able to go to the state parks and walk trails. Been wanting to do that with a friend for years but I haven't been physically up to it.