Any ideas on what I can do to comfort myself?

Options
Yep.... food is my comfort and always has been. I need something else to comfort myself with... baths work, but sometimes I need something faster (smoking was also used).
HALP!

Replies

• hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Exercise! Even a simple walk can put you into a better mood.
  • biancamirella
    biancamirella Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sometimes candles with a strong scent or really great smelling lotions help. Also try writing in a journal, doing an art project or getting out and moving around :)
  • plain_jane
    plain_jane Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    deep breaths, hot tea, relaxing music, candles, aromatherapy, self-massage (temples, neck, etc), sit down in a rocking chair and take a few minutes, stretch. Experiment and see what helps. Good luck. Good for you for looking for heatlhier alternatives.
  • gusto80
    gusto80 Posts: 28
    Options
    Reading, listen to music, walk, write, dance, talk to a friend on the phone.........I hope one of them work for you!!!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I give myself a manicure, or go get a pedicure... (I won't pay someone else for a manicure, but pedis are definitely worth it) Or I give myself a 'spa day' where I do an at-home facial or apply self-tanner. Something that makes me feel better about how I am presenting myself to the outside world.

Sometimes I call a couple girlfriends and we make a whole evening of it with everyone giving each other make-overs, etc.
  • ms_debbieg
    ms_debbieg Posts: 34
    Options
    Lately my comfort has been yard work, I accomplish something also it's good exercise. If you don't have a yard, I have also found cleaning my closet, organizing my dresser, cleaning out cabinets, dancing to music in my living room also help. I feel great after I see my clean & organized places in my house & dancing in my living room just makes me fesl silly and happy!!!
  • erinnicolette
    Options
    Sitting back, listening to Hawaiian acoustic music on Pandora.com World radio with a new drink called "Unwind" it's the opposite of an energy drink because its supposed to relax you at night. It's got goji fruit, melatonin, velarian root,and passion flower, and it claims that it is "the perfect antidote for a stressful day, while preparing your body for a fresh start tomorrow" It puts me in a great mood to do those two things together! Cheers to good vibes, my friends.... (PS: You can get "Unwind" for 60 cents a can at Big Lots).
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and spicy chips is my weakness and I'm an emotional eater. Since losing weight I eat the jello puddings whenever I need something tasty. But, i fit it in with my calorie intake for the day so it's not extra. And it's not completely unhealthy either. For spicy chips I just eat more varieties of salsa on most of my foods and lots of hot sauce. Both of those options are not as fulfilling but they do help and are healthier than junk.
    I think people who use food for comfort don't just get over that when losing weight or even after they reach their goal. They just need to substitute those foods for healthier ones and then not over do it. It's like being an alcoholic, they never stop being an alcoholic but some still find other avenues to stay sober.
  • NatashaMichaud
    NatashaMichaud Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks guys!
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    the odd thing that helps me is picking an unfinished project and having it easily available for when i want food - i tell myself i can eat when i finish this.

another trick i've used is deep-cleaning - again, i can't eat x until i've finished y. i have a list of "extra chores" handy - stuff i don't do very often that needs to get done.

often, by the time i'm done with Y, either the craving has passed or i just don't have time to eat before i have to feed my son or start dinner for my husband or get to church or whatever "everyday" chore it is that i know needs to get done that day.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a great food replacement. It sounds perverse, but it's true. It always cheers me up. Also baths with things in. Every so often I go to Lush and buy a load of bath ballistics. I used to use nail varnish to perk me up and take my mind off food when I was in my early 20s, but I have no nails these days.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Luvlysnugs...what a great idea! I'm going to have to try that!