Eating at a deficit or counting macros? Which is better for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If my macros are 100f, 200P and 400c I could hit them perfectly but get fat pretty quick.

Fair enough, but then you've set your perfect macros to make you fat. So we'll have to ask, "Perfect for what?" I guess it's all about context.

Macros should obviously be set according to your goal. If you've set them, and your hitting them perfectly but they aren't giving you whatever calories you need to achieve your goal, you're still hitting them..... Which I think is the OP's problem.

Makes no sense

? They have set macros but not related to their goal. They're meeting set macros.

But isn't MFP first and foremost based on calories? And the macro percentages/grams are calculated based on that calorie goal?

OP what is your daily calorie goal set to?
    I lowered it to 1375; I have no problem eating less than that.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit equals weight loss.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There are two different types of "hitting your macros":

1. MFP has a set amount of calories and splits them (by percentage) between carbs, fat, and protein. If you multiply your macros by their calories/gram and then add those together, you'll get the calorie goal for the day. That's this:
    How so? X grams of protein, Y grams of carbs, and Z grams of fat always adds up to 4(X + Y) + 9Z calories every single time. If you're over your calories, you're over on at least one macro.
    2. Some people have calculated macro gram minimums for just fat and protein and then fill in the rest of their calories with carbs. Using this method, you can "hit your macros" or even go over on fat and protein but, as long as you are low enough on your carbs, you can still be under the calorie goal. That's most likely what's being referred to here:
    Set appropriate caloric level so a deficit is created and then set up macros under the caloric goal.
    Macros should obviously be set according to your goal. If you've set them, and your hitting them perfectly but they aren't giving you whatever calories you need to achieve your goal, you're still hitting them..... Which I think is the OP's problem.
    When someone talks about hitting their macros, that could mean that they are dead on with their calorie goal for the day or it could mean that they got enough fat and protein without reference to how many carbs they consumed.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If my macros are 100f, 200P and 400c I could hit them perfectly but get fat pretty quick.

Fair enough, but then you've set your perfect macros to make you fat. So we'll have to ask, "Perfect for what?" I guess it's all about context.

Makes no sense

? They have set macros but not related to their goal. They're meeting set macros.

But you set macros within your calorie goal not outside them based on the 9 cal per g fat and 4 cal per g protein then the rest is made up with carbs, proteins, fats as you will

only proteins and fats have a justifiable minimum

why would you set macros unrelated to goal
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Makes no sense

But you set macros within your calorie goal not outside them based on the 9 cal per g fat and 4 cal per g protein then the rest is made up with carbs, proteins, fats as you will

The way OP talked it sounded like she only monitored her carbs to be under 60 g. Obviously that's not enough to ensure a deficit.
    But her new post says she set her calories to 1375.

Makes no sense

But isn't MFP first and foremost based on calories? And the macro percentages/grams are calculated based on that calorie goal?

Are you weighing everything properly? Are you eating back your calories from exercise? Not weighing properly and eating too many exercise calories are the main culprits for not losing.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Makes no sense

People are confusing setting your macros in % of total versus in grams.

If I set my macros as 40/30/30 and hit them - I may be overeating. (General issue of Mfp method)
    For others, "setting your macros" is a discussion around grams of each.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    My endo told me to not go over 60g of carbs a day. This is doable; I've done less and it's worked....at one time.....Now, I feel like I am simply maintaining.

Only 60g? That seems very low. When did they say this? Are you overcompensating for that with too much protein and/or fat?

(Bearing in mind that calories in should always be less than calories out.)

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Your macros correspond to your caloric deficit; they make up calories.
    Not the way MFP set them as they set them via percentage
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    My endo told me to not go over 60g of carbs a day. This is doable; I've done less and it's worked....at one time.....Now, I feel like I am simply maintaining.

Only 60g? That seems very low. When did they say this? Are you overcompensating for that with too much protein and/or fat?

I've been focusing on my macros for so long that I'm wondering if that's why the scale doesn't move as much as it used to. It has taken me a few years to drop 150 pounds and I would like to get rid of the last 40. My endo told me to not go over 60g of carbs a day. This is doable; I've done less and it's worked....at one time.....Now, I feel like I am simply maintaining. I keep my calories low, and I also burn a decent amount in spin class or weight training. Seems as if all this experimenting has got me all confuzzled. Needing input to get that scale moving again.

• autumnsquirrel
    Options

Makes no sense

The way OP talked it sounded like she only monitored her carbs to be under 60 g. Obviously that's not enough to ensure a deficit.
    But her new post says she set her calories to 1375.

Makes no sense

Are you weighing everything properly? Are you eating back your calories from exercise? Not weighing properly and eating too many exercise calories are the main culprits for not losing.

Yes; I use a food scale; I don't eat my calories back. The only thing I can think of is that I am hypothyroid and it has slowed my progress.
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options

I've been focusing on my macros for so long that I'm wondering if that's why the scale doesn't move as much as it used to. It has taken me a few years to drop 150 pounds and I would like to get rid of the last 40. My endo told me to not go over 60g of carbs a day. This is doable; I've done less and it's worked....at one time.....Now, I feel like I am simply maintaining. I keep my calories low, and I also burn a decent amount in spin class or weight training. Seems as if all this experimenting has got me all confuzzled. Needing input to get that scale moving again.

I end up overcompensating with fat with a low carb diet. I read on a few different low-carber message boards that it's okay to do this as long as it's healthy fats. I'm wondering if maybe I needed to cut back on the olive oil. Also, each night, I would enjoy fresh mozzarella with a tomato, fresh basil and olive oil. I cut that out the past few nights. I am feeling like a science experiment.
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options

My endo suggested I not go over 60g of carbs because I am hypothyroid and my metabolism is extremely slow. He said it would help me shed pounds.