How do I cut down on sugar?

Options
bethkay2
bethkay2 Posts: 1 Member
I've just added my recipe for a banana smoothie, which I thought was pretty healthy, consisting of 2 bananas, honey, cinnamon and skinny milk, but it's already put me over my sugar goal for the day. Where is the sugar coming from and how do I cut it down? 52g for a day is turning out to be not much at all.

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to monitor it, I'd ignore it. Especially when it's coming from fruits that have awesome nutrient profiles. I consistently go over my sugar goal, so I chose to track fiber in its place. If you're getting a balanced diet, I wouldn't be overly concerned.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Banana and honey = sugar. The milk probably has some sugar too.

If you don't have a medical issue that requires you to track sugar try switching to tracking fiber. I find it much more useful.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    MFP does not distinguish between added sugar and naturally-occurring sugar in a food (neither do food labels), so unless you have a reason to track sugars, you can ignore it or track something else.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The bananas, honey, and milk have sugar. If you do not want to see the sugar number, change your settings so that instead of sugar you are tracking something else.
  • JamesSmedley
    JamesSmedley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cut out the smoothie and just have a banana. There's only a small amount of sugar in a banana, they other stuff your using isn't great in my opinion (except milk although you could find yourself consuming too much). Other stuff to look at is do you drink hot drinks like coffee or tea? if so try it without sugar and milk etc.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, two bananas is a bit much, i'd substitute one of them for Kale or Spinach.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sugarrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    Just a suggestion, two bananas is a bit much, i'd substitute one of them for Kale or Spinach.

wut?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »

WTF is that... something nasty...
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Gross

Do 1 banana, 1 cup of strawberries and 1 cup of skim milk! I have that every morning!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Skip the honey? Ripe bananas are already pretty sweet. How about frozen blueberries instead of banana (or as an alternative to honey)? Bananas are higher in carbs/sugar than blueberries. Blueberries + Greek 2% (or 6% if you want) yoghurt is pretty good, no need for sweetening.

You won't find any 0% fat dairy products in this house. If you are getting exercise it's just not necessary. Healthy dietary fats do not make you fat.

Too many calories for a given activity level make you fat. Trust me, I'm a recovering expert on that. :smiley:
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Your smoothie sounds high in calories, too. I'd skip the honey, use only 1 banana, and because you're not using as much of the other ingredients, use less milk.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nothing wrong with sugar-you can track fiber or a micro-nutrient in your MFP diary instead of sugar :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Bananas, honey, and milk all have sugar. Bananas are pretty high in carbs/sugar.

Unless you have an endocrine disease like diabetes, insulin resistance, or hypoglycemia, there's no reason to fret if you go over your sugar goal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    bethkay2 wrote: »
    I've just added my recipe for a banana smoothie, which I thought was pretty healthy, consisting of 2 bananas, honey, cinnamon and skinny milk, but it's already put me over my sugar goal for the day. Where is the sugar coming from and how do I cut it down? 52g for a day is turning out to be not much at all.

If it were me? I'd dump the honey (the bananas are sweet) and I'd maybe go for a higher fat milk (assuming by "skinny milk" you mean non fat), that way you'd have a more satisfying smoothie. I'd add other kinds of fat and protein as well.

I add hemp hearts, flax seeds, sometimes avocado.... and soy milk, sometimes nuts.... I try to have very balanced and hearty smoothie.

long story short: who needs honey in a good smoothie?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

If it were me? I'd dump the honey (the bananas are sweet) and I'd maybe go for a higher fat milk (assuming by "skinny milk" you mean non fat), that way you'd have a more satisfying smoothie. I'd add other kinds of fat and protein as well.

I had that thought too-two bananas is going to make it really sweet already, the honey isn't really doing anything at that point.

OP-my all time favorite smoothie is one banana, plain yogurt, kale, spinach, blueberries, flax seed and ice-tastes great and it looks cool B)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Banana and honey = sugar. The milk probably has some sugar too.

If you don't have a medical issue that requires you to track sugar try switching to tracking fiber. I find it much more useful.

Is what I do. I think fibre is an importnat and informative one to track.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    DEUX BANANES?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I had that thought too-two bananas is going to make it really sweet already, the honey isn't really doing anything at that point.

OP-my all time favorite smoothie is one banana, plain yogurt, kale, spinach, blueberries, flax seed and ice-tastes great and it looks cool B)

Yup, my favorite is kale/spinach, hemp hearts, flax seeds, banana, berries, ginger, turmeric, soy milk and water.
    Sometimes with avocado. Oh My.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Banana!!!!