What are chia seeds?

Options
Clarewho
Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
I keep seeing them mentioned in posts but I'm not sure how they're used and what benefits they give? Thanks I'm just being nosy really! Wondering if I should get some?? Thank you x

Replies

• loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds have a very slick soluble fiber when they are moistened. They are fairly high in calories so I'd measure them like peanut butter. I put them in my cereal, yogurt, and overnight oats. I've also used them as a thickener with yogurt and beets. Creates a kind of pudding. I see others grind the seeds up and add them to smoothies.

Yes, the same thing:
    ramchia.jpg
  • Clarewho
    Options
    Thank you. I must admit they look like a miracle food. Which makes me suspicious lol! Do you think there is a definite benefit for you personally in eating them? I'm wary in case they are faddy?? Thanks again.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Faddy; definitely faddy. I just like trying new things. I'm trying to convince more people to try buckwheat. It's not faddy and it's different.
  • Clarewho
    Options
    Ha ha thanks very honest answer! Maybe I'll get myself down the health food shop. If nothing else it mixes it up a bit eh?
  • Silverstar721
    Silverstar721 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds can really fill you up when added to smoothies or soups. They swell up when added to liquid and help your stomach feel full. They are sold at Nuts.com if you want to try them. I don't believe they are allowed on this diet for the first 2 weeks. I don't know if we can have them after that. Hope this helps.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    What diet doesn't allow chia seeds?
  • Clarewho
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    What diet doesn't allow chia seeds?

Yes I wondered that! Anyway as I'm in UK I don't think nuts.com will ship to me. Thanks for responses I will have to try it for myself I think
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I was at a bio store the other day and asked about chia seeds--I was curious too after hearing about them on the boards. They were on sale so I bought a bag. I started making pudding every night for the next day. I put 10g coconut, 10g chia seeds, 6g dried cranberries and 80ml of skim milk in a small jar. Mix it up a couple of times and let sit over night. I really like it, it's really filling, even eating half at a time. Since I'm always hungry before going to bed and tend to eat then, I save half for a snack. I'm alot less hungry and the calories aren't bad--175 for the whole jar. I haven't seen any "miracles", but I like it. B)
  • Clarewho
    Options
    Ooh thank you. That does sound good. Will definitely get some x
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Do they need to be cooked first? I picked up both chia and quinoi in the city to try but not sure what to do with either.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    111YoYo111 wrote: »
    Do they need to be cooked first? I picked up both chia and quinoi in the city to try but not sure what to do with either.

No, I don't cook them first. They come out sort of like tapioca pudding. Since I like tapioca, I like them too. :)
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Chia plumps up spectacularly in liquid, without cooking. Try it in yogurt or milk.

Cook Quinoa gently and you can use it just like couscous. 1/2 cup Quinoa to 1 cup water.

• snowflake954
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Ooh thank you. That does sound good. Will definitely get some x

I forgot to say that I just love your profile pic! B)
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Spectrum-Essentials-Chia-And-Flax-Seed-Decadent-Blend-with-Coconut-And-Cocoa-022506521087.jpg

I buy this type and throw it into my smoothie and sometimes sprinkle it on peanut butter and agave toast.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Spectrum-Essentials-Chia-And-Flax-Seed-Decadent-Blend-with-Coconut-And-Cocoa-022506521087.jpg

I buy this type and throw it into my smoothie and sometimes sprinkle it on peanut butter and agave toast.

Ohhh that looks yummy!

• EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You can also use them as a replacement for eggs in some recipes (they act as a binding agent):
    http://deliciouslyella.com/banana-bread/

I'm in the UK and I got my Chia seeds through Amazon - they sell a whole bunch of health food stuff at reasonable prices (sometimes! check the weights and postage costs before purchasing) but any health food shop or Holland & Barratts will sell Chia seeds :)
  • Lukyanenko
    Lukyanenko Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like having them for breakfast, you make them pretty much like you would over night oats. Just a little warning: they are high in fiber so you should drink a lot of water. If I eat more then a tablespoon of it a day I get constipated like crazy.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds and eat them in my Greek yogurt everyday for lunch.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I started adding chia seeds to my life because they are a way to get more protein into my diet. A grain with protein? Count me in, fad or no.