Dairy Free- Cheese Alternatives

Options
Hey everybody! I've recently learned that I am intolerant to dairy products. I'm experimenting with new food products. Looking for your suggestions on dairy free cheeses. Brands mostly.. Thanks =)

Also, for anyone who follows this type of diet, how do you get your calcium?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    IMO Daiya is the most reliably available best tasting brand. Don't think it's going to taste anything like the cheese you are used to though. It just doesn't. If you are just avoiding lactose, and not casein, the Go Veggie brand is one I frequently see. I have no idea how it tastes though. If you are lucky enough to live in a metro area, you will likely have more options than I do.

I get my calcium for fortified foods and leafy greens.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Trader Joes makes a good one that I like better than Daiya. My son is dairy free and we just go without cheese. He doesn't like the alternatives. Honestly he puts ketchup, mustard, sriacha, etc on everything instead. Some people use nutritional yeast flakes too. They aren't too bad.

Calcium is in lots of fortified milk alternatives and orange juices. Plus leafy green veggies and broccoli.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I live in a place where there's no cheese alternatives. I'm only slightly lactose intolerant so I can eat yogurt, so if it's just lactose that may something. I still stick away from most cheeses, just because I never know how my tummy will handle them and they're calorie dense. I get my calcium through greek yoghurt, leafy greens, almond milk (fortified food), and vitamins. Dairy is awesome, but there's a lot of other places to get calcium.
  • mangoduck
    mangoduck Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Field Roast's Chao cheese is amazing.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I find cheddar cheese is easier on my tummy than most of the other ones, so if you're not super lactose intolerant you can try that. As for my calcium source, there are actually a lot of lactose free milk and yogurt options. They're usually in the regular dairy section, and they just have a lactose free label on them. :) they taste better than soy or almond milk too, they taste just like regular dairy!