Is it true I will lose muscle instead of fat if I don't eat enough protein?

I have lost a lot of weight through diet and walking alone. I have about 40 pounds left to go. Weird thing is....I seem to still have A LOT of fat on my body.

My friend told me today that if I don't eat enough protein, I will lose muscle instead of fat. Is this true? Is this why I still have a lot of fat? I don't strength train, I'm currently only walking/jogging 3x a week.

I eat as healthy as I can, but I admit I don't eat much protein.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    If you lost a lot of weight just to get to 40 pounds to go, you'd have to be eating extremely low amounts of protein to screw things up. From here on out, though, it starts changing, and its worth paying attention to the details.
  • GA_1019
    GA_1019 Posts: 7 Member
    @Mr_Knight I'm sorry I don't think I understood what you meant.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    GA_1019 wrote: »
    @Mr_Knight I'm sorry I don't think I understood what you meant.

Well, thanks for clarifying.

<rolls eyes>
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I have lost a lot of weight through diet and walking alone. I have about 40 pounds left to go. Weird thing is....I seem to still have A LOT of fat on my body.

My friend told me today that if I don't eat enough protein, I will lose muscle instead of fat. Is this true? Is this why I still have a lot of fat? I don't strength train, I'm currently only walking/jogging 3x a week.

I eat as healthy as I can, but I admit I don't eat much protein.
    If you have fat, you need to continue to eat at a calorie deficit.
    How many calories a day are you eating?

You need to eat protein. It is in meat, cheese, nuts, peanut butter, beans, green vegetables.
    If you do not eat enough protein, you will lose muscle.
    How many grams of protein a day are you eating?
  • GA_1019
    I am eating about 40 grams of protein or so.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I am eating about 40 grams of protein or so.

Sounds low to me. I think 1g per pound or 1g per pound of lean body mass is recommended.

But then again I can never get a clear answer.

But 40 that would be under what mfp recommends right?

I think the best way to go about it would be to make sure you reach or exceed you protein and fat macros and fill in the remain calories with carbs.

Try chicken fish lentils Greek yogurt.
  • GA_1019
    I don't purposely not eat enough protein, it just kind of happens that way. i'm somewhat of a picky eater, I don't like meat/fish and the powder-based protein shakes. I have a lot of fat to lose, and I don't have any muscle mass. I really just want to make sure I'm not losing muscles though because I need to lose this fat. What should I do? Do I have to start weight lifting?
    I'm a female, and have about 40-50 pounds left to go. If this makes a difference.
  • RodaRose
    I don't purposely not eat enough protein, it just kind of happens that way. i'm somewhat of a picky eater, I don't like meat/fish and the powder-based protein shakes. I have a lot of fat to lose, and I don't have any muscle mass. I really just want to make sure I'm not losing muscles though because I need to lose this fat. What should I do? Do I have to start weight lifting?
    I'm a female, and have about 40-50 pounds left to go. If this makes a difference.
    You can eat eggs, lentils, beans (pinto beans, black beans, . . .) pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cheese.
    Name twelve things that you eat.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member

Losing muscle while losing fat is unavoidable to the best of my knowledge.

Limiting it is the best you can do.

By eating enough protein, stop being so picky. Look up vegetarian or vegan protein sources since you don't like meat. Lentils, nuts, eggs, milk, Brussel sprouts I think are good sources.

Lift heavy objects. Why would your body go to the trouble of keeping muscles if you aren't using them.

But yeah up your protein in some way. It's a very very important thing, it's used in so many of your bodies processes.

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member

If by protein shakes you mean some supermarket rubbish or, even worse, some fad-diet based rubbish, then I can see why you don't like them. The Optimum Nutrition chocolate/strawberry Pro Complex ones taste exactly like milkshakes. Like... EXACTLY like nesquick. Pricey, but a "picky eater's" dream.

As Pu_239 said, at the end of the day you don't have a lot of choice if you want to maintain muscle.

P.S. I hate that phrase...
  • GA_1019
    Haha yeah I know being picky isn't good....I love cheese and yogurt, dairy in general, but I know that's fattening. I also love fruit but I know too much of anything isn't good. I typically eat a sandwich (whole wheat bread) everyday for lunch. Is bread safe to eat? I hear mixed opinions on that.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Well here is a thread that demonstrated quite brilliantly the difference between fat and muscle:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10165445/fat-skinny-fat-fit-imgz#latest

Pay very close attention to the "lightest" and "healthiest" photos and the difference between them, even though "lightest" is 10 lbs lighter.

Bread isn't protein :p
  • RodaRose
    Haha yeah I know being picky isn't good....I love cheese and yogurt, dairy in general, but I know that's fattening. I also love fruit but I know too much of anything isn't good. I typically eat a sandwich (whole wheat bread) everyday for lunch. Is bread safe to eat? I hear mixed opinions on that.
    Bread is safe to eat but it is not going to get to your protein goal.
    What do you normally put in your sandwich?
    Eat lots more cheese.
    Fruit has a tiny amount of protein.
    Do you have some vegetables that you like? Most of them have more protein that fruit does.
  • buffalobill41
    buffalobill41 Posts: 72 Member
    greek yogurt is low-fat to fat free and has 10-15g protein per serving. fruit tends to have a lot of sugar which can slow the fat burning process. protein bars can be ok if you don't like the shakes, i buy premier brand at walmart they're cheap have 30g protein and only 6-8g fat 8-10g sugar. lifting will help but then you really want protein, doesn't need to be heavy weightlifting and don't worry you won't get all buff and manly looking or whatever (women seem to think that will happen, getting big muscles takes a lot of work or more dudes would have them)
  • GA_1019
    I like oatmeal or a somewhat healthy cereal for breakfast - I use almond milk and add fruit
    lunch I usually make a chicken (yes I will eat chicken :P) sandwich and I will put cheese on it, and something like spinach or lettuce.
    dinner is usually mostly a carb based meal with veggies - like a potato or rice with veggies. I don't usually eat much protein at dinner because I'm having trouble finding other protein sources that I like.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Hello I will add my own experience for you. I managed to get down to my goal weight with diet and only walking for exercise- so I have already gone where you are headed. I did not eat enough protein and I lost a LOT of muscle. I am finally succeeding in putting it back by lifting weights and eating protein. I hear you- I would much rather have bread and butter too, but I now eat a lot more chicken and fish and even lean beef. Gotta do it.
  • GA_1019
    Can someone tell me how many grams of protein I should be having daily? Weight is 187.
  • RodaRose
    edited May 2015
    Can someone tell me how many grams of protein I should be having daily? Weight is 187.

You are to calculate based on your Lean Body Mass - not the same thing as Body Mass.
    --
    Here is a us gov site that does the calculation for you but the number they come up with is for the bare minimum. You can over it.
    http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/index.php
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Pu_239 wrote: »

It's best to go by bodyfat, not total weight. I couldn't find the chart i usually use, but this looks sufficient.

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

estimate your body fat and then do this.

body fat * % = fat mass

If you weigh 187 and estimate your body fat at 25%

187 * .25 = 46.75lbs of fat

187 - 46.75 = 140lbs of LBM(lean body mass)

Common protocol is 1g of protein per LBM.

Those pics are completely useless for a woman to use for estimating body fat.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    edited May 2015
    I like oatmeal or a somewhat healthy cereal for breakfast - I use almond milk and add fruit
    lunch I usually make a chicken (yes I will eat chicken :P) sandwich and I will put cheese on it, and something like spinach or lettuce.
    dinner is usually mostly a carb based meal with veggies - like a potato or rice with veggies. I don't usually eat much protein at dinner because I'm having trouble finding other protein sources that I like.

Getting lots of protein from non meat and no supplements takes a bit of planning, but it's certainly not impossible. I am vegetarian and aim for 100-105 grams per day, no supplements.
    Greek yoghurt, cheese (mainly cheddar, haloumi, and fetta around here), non-fat milk, green lentils, eggs, tofu, vegie sausages, other gluten-based vegie protein products, and nuts are all good protein sources.

A large bowl of non-fat greek yoghurt with chopped almonds, a cut up apple or two, and a few tablespoons of oats gives me about 40 grams of protein in a single meal (around 550-600 calories and if I was still losing rather than maintaining, I'd just cut out the oats).
    I made shepherd's pie this week with green lentils and roast vegies in the stew topped with cheesy mashed potato, just over 500 calories per serve and 27 grams of protein.