Going to Scotland -- Food and the Fitbit

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am leaving for Scotland on Saturday. I've never been overseas, but from what I gather, Scotland has a fairly unhealthy diet -- sausage, heavy breads, fried potatoes, etc. Also, I'm debating whether to bring my fitbit. I don't know if I'll be able to keep it charged and I'm not bringing my laptop because I want to be "unplugged." Moreover, I find seeing the small amount of calories I've used on a "low burn" day depressing; I've had days where I can only eat an apple or a salad by the end of the day, and that's eating normally at home, but with only a light exercise level. While I don't want to pig out on the vacation, I also don't want to obsess over everything I eat. I do have an old-fashioned pedometer that counts steps that I will be bringing to make sure I get enough walking. We're staying at a chain hotel for two days, and that has a gym, but all the other accommodations are B&B type places. Anyway, any advice about traveling to Scotland without putting on 6-10 lbs. in a week? (And yes, I have put on that much on vacation).

Replies

• thebzax89
    thebzax89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I live in Scotland, and as much as there are of course unhealthy foods, it's not like that's all we eat (okay, I'm probably not the best advert for that but most of the stuff I eat is American anyway :p ) Most tourists tend to do a fair bit of walking (depends where you're staying of course), so it all adds up, and I think the pedometer is probably good enough. You can keep an eye on the activity levels without stressing over food - you're on vacation!

As for how not to gain weight - honestly, I don't really think our restaurants etc are going to be hugely different from what you're used to (except probably with more haggis). Just make sensible food choices - no-one will be ramming fried foods down you, no matter what you've heard.

Enjoy your holiday :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    Any advice about traveling to Scotland without putting on 6-10 lbs. in a week? (And yes, I have put on that much on vacation).

Portion control, portion control, portion control!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Just go enjoy your trip. Walk a lot, explore, eat the foods you want, and don't stress about it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    I have been to Scotland ... spent about 3 weeks there.

You can eat a unhealthy diet in Scotland if you want ... but you don't have to.

In the B&Bs you can order a hot breakfast or small breakfast. I usually went with the small one which included cereal and toast, and often some fruit. A small bowl of cereal and a couple pieces of toast got me started on an active day.

You can go to grocery stores/supermarkets and buy things like whole wheat rolls, veggies, and fruit for lunch, for example. Or small cafes, where we got something similar.

Dinner was usually in a pub and my favourite was the macaroni and cheese. You might want to avoid that, and there are usually a variety of options. You can often order a salad or a chicken dish or something like that.

I would also encourage you to be as active as possible. Walk, cycle, hike ...
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Well, add a hunk of cheese and generous pints of beer, that's the stereotypical diet of those of us in Wisconsin!

No matter where you go, I'm sure it won't be a problem to eat as you do at home. There are vegetables and fruit in Scotland yes? If you find yourself in a bind with food choices, you don't have to eat everything that is put in front of you. Sample until you're full, and estimate if you're logging. Honestly, I always put on 3-10 lbs after a vacation no matter what. Especially after a flight, there seems to be extra water retention that goes along with jet lag for me!

I also wouldn't worry about bringing your FitBit, unless you absolutely must have it. Just another thing to worry about.

Enjoy your vacation, it sounds lovely! I'm sure you will have lots of walking adventures!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    I was trying to remember what we ate for dinner there. 2 or 3 times I had the macaroni and cheese. 2 or 3 times we had fish and chips. Those are probably not the best choices, but might be all right once or twice.

It seems to me there were a few chicken and veg type of meals.

At least twice we went to Indian restaurants. Those stand out because the food was so good, and the portions weren't over the top. Lots of veg and quite spicy!!

I did try haggis in one restaurant. It wasn't something I'd order, but it wasn't nearly as bad as expected. :smiley:

But I do know, I didn't have a single serving of sausage, heavy bread, or fried potatoes.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Lots of good salmon or fish in general around if you're near the sea! Or venison! There really is some lovely food in Scotland!
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am leaving for Scotland on Saturday...but from what I gather, Scotland has a fairly unhealthy diet -- sausage, heavy breads, fried potatoes, etc.

I knew we had a bad reputation for some of our food, but I didn't know visitors feared being force fed sausages! Just make your usual choices, Scotland has salads too :)
  • katyconn123
    katyconn123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm from Scotland, it's all about choice, you can still explore our beautiful country without all the fattening stuff, bring your pedometer as the scenery is lovely and you may be surprised how many steps you actually do, enjoy you holiday :)
  • penelopepittstopsmam
    penelopepittstopsmam Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    tcatcarson wrote: »
    I am leaving for Scotland on Saturday...but from what I gather, Scotland has a fairly unhealthy diet -- sausage, heavy breads, fried potatoes, etc.

I knew we had a bad reputation for some of our food, but I didn't know visitors feared being force fed sausages! Just make your usual choices, Scotland has salads too :)

lol. This.

• kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I went to Scotland with work (been a fair few places now.) It's exactly the same as else where, chain restaurants, posh ones, pubs, mcdonalds, subway....

Just choose appropriate choices like when eating out at home, chain hotels often have soups and healthy foods, you can ask for eggs on toast or cereal/oatmeal at most b&bs. (No clue what part your going to but some great walks! Fit bit would love it! I stayed an extra week and traveled up Scotland from Edinburgh just to hike. Steps galore.)
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Some one from the US telling me my home country has an unhealthy diet (Irony anyone). Too funny. Scotland is like any other country with a mixture of food. I'm off to have a deep fried Mars bar now and force feed all the tourists our unhealthy diet.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    tcatcarson wrote: »

arf
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm stuck on why you would leave the FitBit at home but bring a pedometer. The FitBit IS a pedometer.

I wore my FitBit through out Europe and it was a blast seeing that I had done 20,000 steps and 80 flights of stairs (Cinque Terre) in a day.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    I'm stuck on why you would leave the FitBit at home but bring a pedometer. The FitBit IS a pedometer.

I wore my FitBit through out Europe and it was a blast seeing that I had done 20,000 steps and 80 flights of stairs (Cinque Terre) in a day.

I think OP won't have a computer, smartphone or tablet. Fitbit can store data up to 30 days, so I would wear both it & the pedometer: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/I-m-going-on-a-trip-What-should-I-know-about-traveling-with-my-Fitbit
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Some one from the US telling me my home country has an unhealthy diet (Irony anyone). Too funny. Scotland is like any other country with a mixture of food. I'm off to have a deep fried Mars bar now and force feed all the tourists our unhealthy diet.

No way! Battered pizza is the food of the gods.

Scotland isn't some magical land where they only eat lard you know. :lol:
    I went to Edinburgh at Christmas... It was amazing. I still ate fine and nope it's not all fried food at all!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Any country is going to have treats or snacks. So Scotland is going to be no different then anywhere.
    Use moderation and portion control and enjoy your vacation.
  • dgoodie92
    dgoodie92 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Yeah Scotlands no different to anywhere else. Personally am as home here as I was in Ireland.
  • denning218
    denning218 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went to Scotland 2014. The food is great - there is fish everywhere. Of course, there are things that aren't so healthy, but make the right choice and you'll be fine. Also, people in Scotland walk EVERYWHERE. We did over 10 miles in one day...not all at once...but going to different places! Don't fret - you'll love the food, the people and the trip...and I bet you come back losing weight!
  • hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Your perception of Scotland shouldn't be based on the stereotype, we’re not all kilt wearing, sword wielding, ginger folks who are going to force feed you haggis…

I also didn’t realise we were famous for bread and sausages? You learn something new every day!

Scotland is like everywhere else with regards to food, if you wish to eat healthy there is more than enough options for you, just like if you wish to have a treat and a dram, there’s loads of options for that too! There are people who watch what they eat in Scotland!

Depending on where you go there will be a fierce amount of walking you can do, Scotland is a beautiful country so try to see as much as the scenery as you can.