Cardio or Strength first?

Options
I go to the gym three times per week and I take one class per week. Should I be lifting or doing cardio first? I usually go on the elliptical first for a half hour then lift/machines and I walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes after that. What's the correct order?

Thank you!

Replies

• thebzax89
    thebzax89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I guess it's personal preference, but I tend to lift first. I like to make sure I'm not tired so I can focus on correct form, and remaining in control of the weights.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It depends what your goals are, but i suggest you do the lifting first as that requires form and for you to push yourself more. Do a short warm up 5 mins, then the resistance, then the cardio finishing with the walking.
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was afraid of being too tired and not lifting my usual sets but I know I need to warm up too.
  • JamesSmedley
    JamesSmedley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Personally I like to do 10 minutes of cardio (usually on the treadmill first) to get my heart pumping blood to the muscles before lifting weights. I find that it prepares my muscles fully quicker than going straight into lifting. I also do a cool down on treadmill for an additional 10 minutes at the end of the session (unless the weights absolutely nackered me in which I just crash out in bed).
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yep, a trainer I occasionally work with preaches to warm up for 5-8 minutes via cardio, then lift, then finish with cardio, which he also says is optional. Lifting and strength training are primary, in his mind. But, he's young and doesn't need to worry about his heart yet!
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I want to burn calories and build some muscle and with my work schedule I can only go three days so I make the most out of my workouts
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I believe it is all based on what you can do and their might not be a correct order. *IF* you can do cardio and a full weight workout, with intensity, then I say it doesn't matter much. On the other hand if you can't finish both cardio and a weight workout then I would say do less on both until you build up to it.
    I would say if you can get to the gym 6 days a week then alternate weights and cardio on different days.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Strength first. Cardio tires you out and will lower your strength performance.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I need to do cardio first because i like doing weights and don't really like cardio. If i did weights first i would walk by the tread mill and skip it that's just me. So doing the cardio first and getting it out of the way and my warm up for weights is done
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I usually do cardio first but all this talk makes me think I should try weights followed by cardio. Glad OP posted this.
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Strength first. I always stretch and warm up with light weights, or body weight (for movements like squats) and then move on to heavy weight. Lifting still burns a tonne of calories, so I usually lift 4-6 days/week and then do cardio every 2nd or 3rd day. :) If you prefer cardio first though, there isn't really a right or wrong answer - I just find it more beneficial to lift when I have the most energy, as it is more important to me than cardio!
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I typically will do a warmup of some kind to get a sweat then do cardio post lift. I originally tried my full cardio prior to lifting but found myself stalling when working close to my max weight.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    I usually do cardio first but all this talk makes me think I should try weights followed by cardio. Glad OP posted this.

Girl! Lift first.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Save your energy for weights. Lift first.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Whichever one is more important to you, do that one first.
  • joe3052
    joe3052 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thebzax89 wrote: »
    I guess it's personal preference, but I tend to lift first. I like to make sure I'm not tired so I can focus on correct form, and remaining in control of the weights.

Agree. Form is everything when lift. You can really hurt your joints or muscle if your lifting wrong. It's best to warm up with a 5 minutes treadmill walk or something equivalent. Then stretch. Then lift. Then do cardio at the end. Just an opinion though.
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    lift first
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I always recommend lifting 1st. Others say it's preference or whatever you're more focused on. I think lifting performance suffers too much when not done 1st.
  • mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Strength first then cardio as this will help you burn more calories. Also your muscles won't be tired and this helps with good form while lifting!! You can start with 10 min cardio for warm up before lifting though!!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Lift first. Cardio after is like icing on the cake...delicious cake.