After Cancer weight gain

Options
Hi everyone. I am trying to lose about 60 lbs. I have gained most of this the las year while battling breast cancer. A lot of my meds have caused the weight gain and caused Metabolic Syndrome

Replies

• SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi Sherry and welcome to MFP. I too am a BC fighter/survivor. I gained 20lbs in six months after my diagnosis last summer. In January, I decided I'd had enough so I have been working hard and so far lost 21lbs. Still have a ways to go to lose more and get back into shape - again! I just had my exchange surgery and am itching to begin working out hard, but have 6 more weeks. In the meantime, I've been cleared for walking and the elliptical. I'm determined not to gain any weight during this recovery phase. It's not easy, but I'm really motivated as I'm going home this summer and want to look great. Plus, I haven't even told my friends back home about my cancer, so there's going to be some explaining to do about the new girls!

I know that BC does a doozy on your metabolism, but you can do this! I'm sending you a friend request. I'm here for support if you need it.
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    GM guys! I am so proud of you ladies for taking a stand and winning! I didn't have BC but I had several benign tumors in both of my breasts. they were removed but they took their toll on me. Two thumbs up to living ladies!
  • tlh68
    tlh68 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow! Can I say that I am so glad that you made this post! I had breast cancer 3 years ago and was placed on a med (for a total of 10 years I am told) that has caused weight gain each year so far also. However, no one around here seemed to have heard of that and was surprised at the 75 lbs. that I have gained. I finally have reached a point where I can no longer take the frustration and I am determined to turn things around and beat the changes this medication has caused for my body. It is slow, but exercise (which I never had to do) and counting calories (which I never had to do) have become a part of my new lifestyle. I am only 2 months into this new change though but will gladly give support any way that I can!
  • RunninginHighHeels
    RunninginHighHeels Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! Another BC survivor here - I was diagnosed last year July and just finished the usual 6 months Chemo, 2 ops & 4 weeks radiation...the combination of drugs & comfort eating has made me pile on the weight. I am now slowly starting exercise again (Started C25K yesterday and struggled, even though I was running half marathons before I was diagnosed!!!).