Lifting for an overweight teen?

Options
sengalissa
sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Actually, she is only 12.5, not even a teen. Her body is more like 14 or 15, and she is taller than me and obese. She is friends with my daughter and her mother begged me to show her exercises in our appartment gym. I work out there, by myself, and I am hesitant about it. Would love to help but don't want the liability. Then again, they are seeing a nutritionist (no change), the said girl hates and avoids cardio - so maybe lifting would give her a positive attitude about her body?
Can she lift at her age? What should I do?
The problem has many sides - her parents having gotten divorced over the last two years, looks starting to matter and her feeling bad about herself. Nutrition is a problem (daddy loves to take her out to eat, mom has 10000 dietary restrictions and daughter begs for fast food), exercise does not happen because she hates her body.

Should I even get invested? I could be the family friend who turns her life around. Or I could waste my energy in something where no one is really wanting any changes.

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's ultimately going to come down to what she wants to do. Even if she doesn't buy her own food, it will still come down to her eating less, period.

As for the actual physiology, I think it would be the best idea to have the family consult a physician.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Personally if it isn't my kid I wouldn't do it because you are right if something happens then you are liable for it. And if it was my kid I would talk to her doctor first. I would suggest you the mom to talk to someone at the local gym about it plus her doctor, he or she might have recommendations as well. If anything you could suggest taking her and your daughter since they are friends out for walks, maybe going with a friend would encourage her to want to walk if nothing else. Also her parents need to be on the same page about her nutrition, divorced or not they are both responsible for making sure she is eating properly and with one taking her to eat out all the time and the other having restrictions going by what the nutritionist has planned out is going to make it that much more difficult for getting her healthy.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Kids this age need a good basis of gpp that'll allow them to turn their hand to more specific sports later on.

Having fun outdoors, playing games, after school activities like martial arts, etc.

A regimented training program for someone this age is for hand-picked youths who are being shepherded into elite programs (like gymnastics, for example).

Regular kids need to play and have fun and stay healthy.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I run far away from liability issues...

I'd leave that young of a person in the hands of a professional. If I was you, I would point them towards a program geared towards fit kids. Most of them are free or very low financial costs. In the end though it will take both parents agreeing to help her (since they have to buy food and pay for gym memberships/programs) and she has to decide to want to get fit herself.....
  • MomMel65
    MomMel65 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get heat for this...but "should you" invest in a child? If you think about those words, the answer is clear. Of course you should! You never know...you could be the stability she needs. Children need structure, and if it's not coming from her own parents, maybe YOU are it. Of course, she has to be willing. Mommy wanting it doesn't mean daughter wants it, too. You can ask and see how it goes. As far as "can" she lift... I am a member at a gym and bring both my 14 and 15 year old children with me. We met with trainers, and their weight lifting regimen is the same as mine, but with one rep set less on upper body exercises. We use the free weights, not the resistance machines. The trainer also recommended cardio for both of us, and assigned us the same time/resistance, so no differences in cardio, and our machine of choice is the Arc trainer. Both the middle and high schools in our city (less than 25,000 pop) have free weight gyms that they utilize in their everyday gym classes, so I don't think there should be a phobia about weight lifting for teens. There are those who feel teens should NOT be lifting weights, and those who are okay with it. I'll just say this...after 6 weeks at the gym my son has lost 22 lb. Now, we have drastically changed our eating, clean eating and no junk anymore, so it all goes hand in hand. But if you can get her active, she may just like the changes and stay active and start restricting her own diet. You will never know if you do not try.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The issue is, if the girl has no interest in exercising/sweating, she's only going to work out as long as you can convince her to do it.

You need to find something she likes or she won't stick to it. Maybe lifting is it, so give it a try, but you can't force people to be other than what they want to be.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can support with her is how nutrition is very important
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    That's about when I started lifting when I was a kid, but that's the point. Ignore the liability aspect for a moment (it's too easy to get caught up there). It's really about the girl and what she wants to do. Her mother begging you to make her daughter do something isn't going to go anywhere. If the girl doesn't want to do something, she won't, so really, the odds are good that you're undertaking an exercise in hypothetical situations here.

It's unlikely to go anywhere.

Back to the subject of liability, if the girl actually wanted to lift weights, couldn't she do that at her school?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with younger kids all my life through scouts, big brothers, etc. and they all have some manner of "two deep involvement" meaning you need to ensure you are not alone with her. Have her bring along a trusted adult.

I would try to find some larger motivation than just weight loss - e.g. completing 10k. Going to be rough, but you would need to find something that drives her. Draw from a favorite movie and bring in the element of fitness.

There is certainly something else driving this and linked to the divorce - depression and lack of self esteem go hand in hand and she needs to find her place and something to excel at.
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to have "said girl" talk to a therapist if there are home issues that maybe fueling the fire. Try not to make a big deal of it yet, doing so could increase negative body issues. Talk to her pediatrician. Talk to a pediatric dietitian. There is a huge difference between a dietitian (4+ years in college and an internship) and a nutritionist (can get certification online). But ultimately it will be her choice. As for lifting, there are a lot of mixed views on this. Talking to her doctor will result in more sound advice than what you will get from MFP.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This poor girl has a lot of problems evidenced in part by the fact that her Mother asked you to help her. Why won't the Mother step in and help her daughter. I hear shifting my responsibility onto someone else. I think everyone is right she is too young to be lifting. They probably both need counseling.

My son lifted weights in middle and high school. He holds the area record for bench pressing 505 pounds and has since 2003. However, during his mid twenties he had to have dead tissue removed from his chest resulting in part from lifting.

If perhaps you are the object of this young lady's adoration right now and her mother thinks you can be a positive influence perhaps you could help her find some enjoyable cardio work and weight lifting techniques with no more than 10 pound weights.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Educate her on healthy eating but don't force it and don't shame her when she slips. If she goes for the lifting suggest higher levels of protein vs. carb. Teach her how to read labels, measure food, count calories. Give her the tools she needs to take control of herself.

If you teach her how to use the equipment properly she'll be more likely to use it. She'll be less intimidated by it. Since it's a small gym there will most likely be plenty of time she'll have to herself with nobody else watching, saving imaginary embarrassment. Teach her about progressive loading. If she sees herself getting better every week she's going to be more interested in it.

ABOVE ALL, GET HER CLEARED BY A DOCTOR!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think everybody is kind of missing the boat. First, the parents need to be educated or nothing else matters. The kid doesn't do the grocery shopping and ultimately the parents can dictate what her activities are. I was a child in the 80's and a teen in the early 90's and in the summer time my dad did not let me in the house to watch TV unless it was raining, "get outside with your friends." In-short, it starts in educating the parents because the parents will have the biggest influence. Once her parents are on-board then you can work with them and the child. If the parents aren't on-board and willing to support a lifestyle change, then you are definitely wasting your time. There's a good chance that the parents, or maybe one of them, needs the same lifestyle change.

Yes, strength training is just fine for children it just needs to be done intelligently.
  • sengalissa
    Options
    sengalissa wrote: »
    Actually, she is only 12.5, not even a teen. Her body is more like 14 or 15, and she is taller than me and obese. She is friends with my daughter and her mother begged me to show her exercises in our appartment gym. I work out there, by myself, and I am hesitant about it. Would love to help but don't want the liability. Then again, they are seeing a nutritionist (no change), the said girl hates and avoids cardio - so maybe lifting would give her a positive attitude about her body?
    The problem has many sides - her parents having gotten divorced over the last two years, looks starting to matter and her feeling bad about herself. Nutrition is a problem (daddy loves to take her out to eat, mom has 10000 dietary restrictions and daughter begs for fast food), exercise does not happen because she hates her body.

Should I even get invested? I could be the family friend who turns her life around. Or I could waste my energy in something where no one is really wanting any changes.
    Thanks everyone. I know it is not my kid, and her parents should take care of it. I asked some more. Her parents take her to planet fitness and she seems to like the machines more than cardio. Maybe she likes the feeling of her muscles being this little big sore? I know I like it!

My oldest daughter (her age) has been involved in all kinds of activities (5k, ice skating, swimming), and we always offered to bring that girl along. She always backed out. I'll have to hear from her what's going on. I will try to catch the girl alone...
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I've dealt with younger kids all my life through scouts, big brothers, etc. and they all have some manner of "two deep involvement" meaning you need to ensure you are not alone with her. Have her bring along a trusted adult.

I would try to find some larger motivation than just weight loss - e.g. completing 10k. Going to be rough, but you would need to find something that drives her. Draw from a favorite movie and bring in the element of fitness.

There is certainly something else driving this and linked to the divorce - depression and lack of self esteem go hand in hand and she needs to find her place and something to excel at.
    It's wonderful that you want to help, but this is a very valid point here. These days all adults need to protect themselves when having any kind of involvement with a child who is not their own, however well-intentioned they are.
  • 77natalie77
    77natalie77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow. As someone who is experiencing the emotional repercussions of having divorced parents (I was 12.5 yrs when they split, about three years ago). I also became overweight those first few months of the divorce, and my mom also had many self imposed dietary restrictions. I did not have a good relationship with her, nor my dad.

I say this not to pity myself, but because if this girl is wired anything like me, she's in serious denial right now. She probably hasn't dealt with the divorce emotionally and her family's insistence on her heath and exercise regimen, though well intended, is doing absolutely nothing to help her. It's just perpetrating this sense that she's somehow responsible for the divorce because she's fat and therefore guilty of being a bad person. You said she never wants to join your daughter and hang out. It's not necessarily because she hates activity, it's probably because she is entrenched in a battle with feeling inferior and therefore not having the energy to take joy in things that other people find fun. Teaching her how to count calories, over emphasizing her body shape...this is not confronting the underlying emotions. It could even lead her to an eating disorder in an attempt to control her environment. Please, please let this girl feel loved and don't make her feel bad about her weight. Emphasize being happy, and how working out helps one be happy, and leave it up to her to choose that path
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Stay out of it. This is not something where talking to her or even convincing her to get involved in sports will help, it will only make her feel worse. She needs to change her eating habits, and this cna only happen at home. Perhaps suggest to her mother to talk to a therapist (mother, NOT the child) as this could help on the long run.
    If she wants to come along when your family does outdoors activities, sports etc, awesome. But only if she wants to. Do not keep suggesting to her to come for a run or a bike ride etc, because she will only feel worse if she is only invited at "lose weight" related activities, she probably feels already bad about her body.
    And in general, even if she was willing, I would never ever show to a minor how to do exercises at a home gym. She could get hurt, learn things with wrong form, stress her muscles or joints in ways that are not right for her body and age.
  • Renise01
    Renise01 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

If the family can afford it I would recommend one or two sessions a week with a qualified athletic personal trainer. They can tailor a program for her. Honestly I recommend that for anyone of any age trying to start a workout regimen. Even if just for a month or two it'll give a solid foundation and opportunity to learn correct form and how to work out on your own.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'll reiterate:

Kids need to go outside and play.

They do not need to train like powerlifters, bodybuilders, etc.

They need to have fun. Sounds like she's not going to be having a lot of fun at home. Playing outside with mates is probably the antidote to a lot that's effed up in her life at the moment.

I don't think you can make that happen for her though...
  • sengalissa
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    I'll reiterate:

Kids need to go outside and play.

They do not need to train like powerlifters, bodybuilders, etc.

They need to have fun. Sounds like she's not going to be having a lot of fun at home. Playing outside with mates is probably the antidote to a lot that's effed up in her life at the moment.

I don't think you can make that happen for her though...

I am working hard on that. Tell my daughter to not get caught up on her friends phone addiction. I don't make many friends among my kids' friends insisting on playing OUTSIDE, limiting treats and screen time. I do it anyway - but other families have different rules...