Adding carbs/cutting fiber?

Options
belimawr
belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some suggestions. I have been looking to maintain the past few months, and to some degree successfully. However I have noticed the past few weeks I fall short of my carb goal by 30-40g per day, and my fiber tends to be 20-40g over per day. I end each day with a 50-100 calorie deficit.

I'd like to bump up carbs a bit, while possibly cutting the fiber. Keep doing this day after day and once in a while it can be painful. ;) I love fruit and veggies, which is how this happens. So, other than these, I need some suggestions (other than sweets - not really fond of them as fruits give me the sweet kick I need) on bumping up carbs. Any ideas?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    If you're not keen on sweets, then add starches instead. Rice, potatoes, pasta, bread...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    White rice, rice cakes, noodles etc will add carbs with little/no fibre
    You could also choose more carb dense fruit and vegies.
  • belimawr
    Options
    If you're not keen on sweets, then add starches instead. Rice, potatoes, pasta, bread...
    White rice, rice cakes, noodles etc will add carbs with little/no fibre
    You could also choose more carb dense fruit and vegies.

Thanks for the suggestions, while I do rice and pasta, I tend to prefer the whole grain, which often times will have a bit of fiber. I'll try fitting some white types in.

Which fruits and veggies would be best? I did a quick Google search, and a lot of the results turned up the same stuff with relatively higher fiber contents (like apples). Surprisingly searching for "Low fiber fruits and vegetables" turned up quite a few diets... with no specifics foods mentioned other than rice and grains.
  • DanPonting
    DanPonting Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I genuinely can't see how someone could eat that much fibre, if your diary wasn't private I'd have found out for myself.

10g per 1000 calories consumed is a good reference point. Too much fibre can have the same effect as too little fibre.
  • belimawr
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @DanPonting, I hadn't realized it was private. Opened. You'll noticed every day is pretty much the same as I prep many days in advance when I have the time, so now much variety. Also the whole day for today is already logged in advance.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    What's your fiber goal?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to cut fiber?? It's one of the best things you can eat. From the Mayo Clinic:

Benefits of a high-fiber diet

A high-fiber diet has many benefits, which include:

Aids in achieving healthy weight. High-fiber foods generally require more chewing time, which gives your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat. Also, a high-fiber diet tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time. And high-fiber diets also tend to be less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Forget about fibre, what's your weight goal? Are you trying to avoid gaining or avoid losing?
  • belimawr
    edited May 2015
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Why do you want to cut fiber?? It's one of the best things you can eat. From the Mayo Clinic:

Yeah, but take a look at at my diary, you'd see I was always at around double the daily recommendation. No matter how much water I drink, it gets,as I say, painful some days.
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Forget about fibre, what's your weight goal? Are you trying to avoid gaining or avoid losing?

As I said in my original post, trying to maintain.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    mwyvr wrote: »

As I said in my original post, trying to maintain.

Fibre is a beneficial aid in assisting with weight loss. I asked because some who are concerned about regaining lost weight want to keep their fibre intake high. If you have no concerns, great.

Clearly you need to reduce the amount of fibre in your diet. Perhaps it is too much insoluble fibre that is causing you the most grief? To test this out, give up carrots and celery for a week and see if that helps.