What are the benefits of losing weight

Options
hi I'm just wondering if people who have lost weight know what the benefits are.. I'm just getting started and struggling a bit with motivation.

Thank you

Replies

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Unexpected results of weight loss - enjoy! A 36-page thread about all the benefits people have found. Over 1K replies and counting. That should fix your need for external motivation. You do need to be internally motivated though and want it for yourself too. Good luck!
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have a hundred little examples that add up to a general feeling of normalcy, comfort and a sense of achievement, and this is just one example:

:D I can now bend over from a sitting position to tie my shoes. :D

Seriously, the non-scale victories (NSVs) mean a lot.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Being able to wear shorts more comfortably in the summer.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Better (and more) sex.

/thread
  • Auntiezozo81
    Auntiezozo81 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks people!! That's awesome
  • DanPonting
    DanPonting Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lowered blood pressure

Reduced risk of diabetes

Reduced risk of cardiovascular disease

Less visceral fat around organs

Increased insulin sensitive

Increased leptin sensitivity

Less aromatase, which means less testosterone converted to oestrogen, which means less fat storage
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Just from a health perspective, losing weight is so much better for you. You don't realize how much you struggled with aches and pains, sore joints, shortness of breath and just general lethargy until you lose weight. This will affect your mood in a very positive way too.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Better (and more) sex.

/thread

Every love/sex/dating/romance thread related to weight seems to constantly throw out this idea that "looks don't help you get laid/find love/whatever." Every "what's good about losing weight/unexpected weight loss benefits/how has your life changed/whatever" thread lists sex as a perk. Explanations please. Go!

Hehe.

Well, I'm not actually referring to improved looks. I'm referring to the improved fitness. When you're fit, you have more stamina and more positions are options for you. Then there's the whole thing about increased confidence, which makes you willing to try more things. All of those together = better sex. And better sex means more sex.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    more energy, better health, get a buzz faster when drinking

29509743.png
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    • Less strain on the joints
    • Able to climb stairs without being out of breath
    • Don't waddle when you walk
    • Able to pack more clothes in your suitcase
    • Don't have to rock back and forth to get enough momentum to stand up
    • Easier to slip past people who are standing in the hall
    • Lower blood pressure
    • Look taller
    • Don't have to worry about being over the weight limit on ladders
    • Shoes last longer
    • Able to exercise longer
    • Feel a lot better
  • jhard728
    jhard728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Being able to play a full soccer game without feeling like you are going to die! I did this last night and it was such a great feeling.
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    No more fatty liver disease :smiley:

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    benefits-of-losing-weight-visalus.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Lol Holly

I want to be able to do my 2 hour yoga routine again. The bliss I felt after this was almost orgasmic.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Better (and more) sex.

/thread

Every love/sex/dating/romance thread related to weight seems to constantly throw out this idea that "looks don't help you get laid/find love/whatever." Every "what's good about losing weight/unexpected weight loss benefits/how has your life changed/whatever" thread lists sex as a perk. Explanations please. Go!

Hehe.

Well, I'm not actually referring to improved looks. I'm referring to the improved fitness. When you're fit, you have more stamina and more positions are options for you. Then there's the whole thing about increased confidence, which makes you willing to try more things. All of those together = better sex. And better sex means more sex.

Your blood also vasculates (is that a word?) better, causing increased sensation in the proper places.

And for guys, depending on how much you lose, you can gain "inches".

If you're working out regularly, not just skinny, your testostorone levels go up, increasing "primal needs".
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    benefits-of-losing-weight-visalus.jpg

You're kidding, right? ^look at this^
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    self confidence
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Lots of good physical and mental health benefits listed above. Speaking of less stress on your joints and bones, when I had hit the 50 lbs lost mark, I took 50 lbs of weight, put it in a bag, and walked around for a little while carrying that weight on my back. I didn't realize the full extent of the loss until that moment (and it definitely was a good example of why heavier people have larger metabolisms having to carry around that extra weight all day).