Beginner weight lifter looking for some tips

Options
I started lifting three and a half weeks ago and could use some advice. I am wondering if the machine weights or the free weights are better? Currently I'm using the machine weights and kettlebells due to the other equipment being used most of the time I am at the gym. Also women, do you lift heavy with less reps? If so how many sets do you complete? What are your favorite exercises? How long was it before you saw any results? I'm not expecting to yet but I'm hoping soon for some motivation and validation. I'm still learning so I really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Replies

• eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have started this plan and like it so far: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I do other workouts (playing dek hockey, running, etc), so I am doing it 2x per week instead of 3. So far, I like it and feel like I'm getting stronger. I've been losing a bit of weight as well. It's only been a few weeks, so it's hard to say any more than that in terms of results. I like that there are only a few exercises to learn (I can even do all of them in my home gym), and they work the whole body! Hope that helps.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Strong Lifts (5x5).. there is a forum on here that has a lot of information :)
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women is supposed to be a good place to start.
  • greg8lewitt
    greg8lewitt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to lift heavy!!
  • heyitsmec
    heyitsmec Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I never seem to be able to get a bench to do bench presses on and even the bars to add the weights to are always in use. Are there any machines that would possibly mimic these exercises so that I could do them as a part of the 5x5?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    heyitsmec wrote: »
    I never seem to be able to get a bench to do bench presses on and even the bars to add the weights to are always in use. Are there any machines that would possibly mimic these exercises so that I could do them as a part of the 5x5?

You could, but machines are not as effective as free weights (at working your entire body).
  • cilleriania
    cilleriania Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am still on the learning curve, but here are some of the bloggers/podcasters I am following and a few of the main things I try to do...
    - Use free weights or bodyweight exercises rather than machines
    - Use compound exercises which use lots of muscle groups rather than isolated exercises. Ie: do squats, deadlifts, push ups, pull ups (or variations of!), inverted row, dips or assisted dips.
    - As a beginner, I started with 10 reps, 3 sets. I now have a fair bit of variation with anywhere between 2 and 5 sets and 10 and 4 reps, depending on what I am working on
    - WRT bench press, do dumbbell bench press instead.

A good spot to look at videos for form: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/training.html

Podcaster / bloggers - Nia Shanks, Girls gone strong, Jen sinkler
  • kenestrick1
    kenestrick1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting regularly now for about two months. I use a mix of free weights and machines. It kind of depends on where i am and what's available to me, though i prefer free weights. I find free weights are easier to modify workouts to accommodate past injuries or lack of flexibility. As far as the amount of weight i use, it depends on the part of body I'm working. I have a physical job and so my legs are already fairly strong, i don't need them bigger so i do less weight and more reps. I'm slowly building my shoulder back up after an injury so i use more weight and fewer reps. I've always heard you want to do less weight and more reps if you are looking for lean strength. Less reps and more weight for building size. I've been doing four sets, typically takes about an hour. I started seeing results after a couple weeks :) I'm starting to see muscles along my sides and back and other muscles have become more toned.
    My biggest advice...don't be afraid of heavy weights. It'll take a lot more than an hr a day of lifting to turn you into a bodybuilder lol
    I don't know a whole lot but i hope this helps.
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I started lifting about 10 years ago. I got pretty serious about it maybe 5 years ago. Two years ago I had the opportunity to spend some time working out with a couple of really serious competitive power lifters (guys) who taught me a lot. I lift heavy. I try to increase weight with each set, and I try to do 10 reps per set, 3 sets per exercise. This varies depending on the exercise, but I read somewhere that the definition of "lifting heavy" is the maximum amount of weight that you can lift and do 6 reps with perfect form. I use a spotter, and if I don't have one I don't lift as heavy. Being safe is paramount.

When I first started, I just wanted to lose some weight. I did, and I lost a bunch, but I think that had more to do with my diet and with the cardio I was doing than with the weightlifting. The weightlifting, though, was a rush, and getting stronger and learning to hold my own with the guys in the weight room kept me motivated. I think it took me at least 8 months to a year before I really started to develop noticeable muscle definition. If I was really thin, it would probably have happened a lot faster, but I never have been. On the other hand, I started training my hubby on our new home gym (we moved, and I'm not 90 miles from the nearest gym, so I invested) about a year ago, and it only took him about 4 months to really see definition. That's the power of testosterone. The look has never been what drives me, though...it's more about feeling like a bad *kitten*!

Honestly, I started with machines. It's a really good way to get a feel for picking exercises for specific body parts and muscle groups, and they help to teach you proper form and build some strength before transitioning to free weights. Even the power lifters used a machine occasionally, and sometimes you really can't get your hands on the free weights.

If you really want to get serious about lifting, though, eventually you will definitely want to be using primarily free weights. It sounds like you probably need to consider looking at other gyms or working out at a different time. I know this is really hard, but then, if this stuff was easy, EVERYONE would do it!

Good luck!
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I started lifting about 10 years ago. I got pretty serious about it maybe 5 years ago. Two years ago I had the opportunity to spend some time working out with a couple of really serious competitive power lifters (guys) who taught me a lot. I lift heavy. I try to increase weight with each set, and I try to do 10 reps per set, 3 sets per exercise. This varies depending on the exercise, but I read somewhere that the definition of "lifting heavy" is the maximum amount of weight that you can lift and do 6 reps with perfect form. I use a spotter, and if I don't have one I don't lift as heavy. Being safe is paramount.

When I first started, I just wanted to lose some weight. I did, and I lost a bunch, but I think that had more to do with my diet and with the cardio I was doing than with the weightlifting. The weightlifting, though, was a rush, and getting stronger and learning to hold my own with the guys in the weight room kept me motivated. I think it took me at least 8 months to a year before I really started to develop noticeable muscle definition. If I was really thin, it would probably have happened a lot faster, but I never have been. On the other hand, I started training my hubby on our new home gym (we moved, and I'm not 90 miles from the nearest gym, so I invested) about a year ago, and it only took him about 4 months to really see definition. That's the power of testosterone. The look has never been what drives me, though...it's more about feeling like a bad *kitten*!

Honestly, I started with machines. It's a really good way to get a feel for picking exercises for specific body parts and muscle groups, and they help to teach you proper form and build some strength before transitioning to free weights. Even the power lifters used a machine occasionally, and sometimes you really can't get your hands on the free weights.

If you really want to get serious about lifting, though, eventually you will definitely want to be using primarily free weights. It sounds like you probably need to consider looking at other gyms or working out at a different time. I know this is really hard, but then, if this stuff was easy, EVERYONE would do it!

Good luck!

Great post!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I started lifting three and a half weeks ago and could use some advice. I am wondering if the machine weights or the free weights are better? Currently I'm using the machine weights and kettlebells due to the other equipment being used most of the time I am at the gym. Also women, do you lift heavy with less reps? If so how many sets do you complete? What are your favorite exercises? How long was it before you saw any results? I'm not expecting to yet but I'm hoping soon for some motivation and validation. I'm still learning so I really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

You should use free weights. Like others have mentioned, 5x5 is great. New Rules is cool and I liked the book but I could honestly not be bothered with half of the exercises in there.

I have 2 power days, upper and lower, with heavy weight in the 3-5 rep range, and 2 hypertrophy days with a bit lighter weight in the 8-12 rep range.

When I started I focused on heavy, low reps, mostly only the compound lifts (with a bit of accessory work). I was in a deficit so I didn't have anything to compare myself to. I just know that I would not look the same now that I lost the weight if I had not lifted, and not saved as much muscle as I did.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Machines are good for getting your form proper and lifting heavy without a spotter. Free weights the trick balance with heavy resistance
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Machines are good for getting your form proper and lifting heavy without a spotter. Free weights the trick balance with heavy resistance

You've said this before and I don't understand where you are getting this. How do machines, which have nothing to do with compound lifts, help your form?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

You've said this before and I don't understand where you are getting this. How do machines, which have nothing to do with compound lifts, help your form?

They can help increase strength, which will help with free weights too. There is a reason machine exists, and they are not there only for geriatric patients :) OP is a beginner, she will see gains in strength and muscle with machines only, and probably could continue seeing gains for months if not years, withour touching a barbell. Eventually she will want to try free weights, but if machines are now easier for her or more convenient, why not?
    OP, just try to challenge yourself, with machines too. Do not do 100 reps with the lowest weight if the goal is to get stronger. Aim for resistance that keeps challenging you.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    First, to the OP - Yes, I tend to lift heavy with less reps a good percent of the time but it depends on what program I am following. It is helpful to find a program that will work with your needs and equipment you have available. I have done stronglifts, which is 5x5, and now am doing new rules of lifting for women and that has a variety of rep schemes depending on the stage. I have done the 15 reps of stage one and honestly prefer the shorter reps like the one I'm in right now which has 3 sets of 8 reps on the lifts (well, you pick between doing two or three sets). After NROLFW I plan to go closer to SL in program but with some accessories as I like doing a little more but also want to increase my deadlift.

Machines have their place and some are quite useful. I like the cable for certain lifts. Lat pull down has been nice to add and I didn't mind the seated row. However, I do find that nothing quite beats free weight squats and deadlift. And dumbbells are quite useful in their own right as well.

Also, I believe the question of machine usage has more to do with the claim of good for working on form rather than whether one can gain strength or not. You can learn "press" with a machine but the form you learn is for how to do it on a machine. To learn bench press form, you will have to use the actual tool intended. Even something like a step up (my gym has a machine for that) has a different feel when using a step and a set of dumbbells instead of the machine.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

They can help increase strength, which will help with free weights too. There is a reason machine exists, and they are not there only for geriatric patients :) OP is a beginner, she will see gains in strength and muscle with machines only, and probably could continue seeing gains for months if not years, withour touching a barbell. Eventually she will want to try free weights, but if machines are now easier for her or more convenient, why not?
    OP, just try to challenge yourself, with machines too. Do not do 100 reps with the lowest weight if the goal is to get stronger. Aim for resistance that keeps challenging you.

Because if the OP wants to use free weights at some point, why put it off in order to do something that's "easier" at the end of which she'll still need to learn how to use proper form? Free weights are vastly superior to machines. Sure, machines will do something, but using them is not the way to maximize results in any way whatsoever. It's better to learn how to use free weights immediately.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Because if the OP wants to use free weights at some point, why put it off in order to do something that's "easier" at the end of which she'll still need to learn how to use proper form? Free weights are vastly superior to machines. Sure, machines will do something, but using them is not the way to maximize results in any way whatsoever. It's better to learn how to use free weights immediately.

Totally agree with this.

The best thing you can do is start compound lifts with free weights immediately. Start with light weight, learn proper form, and get yourself on a progressive load routine like StrongLifts 5x5. Work your way up to heavy weight (you MUST start light if you have never lifted before or lifted recently, otherwise you're going to DOMS yourself to death starting off, and that will hinder your progress).

Believe it or not, the gym might be the most friendly place in the world. People actually will help you if you ask!

You can learn basic form from YouTube videos. Medhi (StrongLifts) is great at going over it in his YouTube videos. There are a lot of great, basic instructional videos that cover proper form for the basic lifts like Squat, Deadlift, Benchpress, Overhead press, and the Row. Check yourself in the mirror while lifting; ask people to check your form; use a spotter, etc.

You can do this. And there's no reason to put it off. Learn the Olympic lifts immediately and preserve your muscle. Get stronger.

• awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    New Rules is cool and I liked the book but I could honestly not be bothered with half of the exercises in there.

I have the New Rules... for Life book (being in my late forties and all) and I couldn't agree more. I have added dumbbell rows to my repertoire, and I love chin-ups and weighted dips along with the basic Stronglifts exercises. But the day I do a barbell bicep curl you will know I've been kidnapped and am signalling for help. (I judge no one for doing them--as long as they don't use the squat rack!--but they just don't have anything to do with my goals.)

Also, I don't want the gym eating up my time.
  • heyitsmec
    heyitsmec Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks guys. I unfortunately can't go to the gym at a different time. I start work when it opens and work 11 hour days so I go on my way home and then pretty much go home, do a couple things around the house, and go straight to bed because of how early I get up. The time I do go is when people are off work so its usually busy. I'm a little intimidated to go around and ask some of the people to show me what to do just because I feel a bit out of place with most of the people. When I'm doing my stuff on the machines, I try to watch what others are doing (without being creepy haha!) and try to wait until some of the stuff isn't in use but then the next intimidating person gets to it first! I guess I've got to get over that and ask somebody to help me out.